4th spot and us! - Our progression

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:15 pm

this season 4th place is a must and most importantly realistic.
we have 6 games played to date and a points tally of 10 for our efforts.we have been inconsistent and look far from hitting our best form while we have at least shown that for 45mins a game we can be as good as anyone and untouchable when we are in the mood.
newcastle are occupying that spot at the moment with a two point advantage after what has to be said is a blistering start for them but i dont think they will last the distance and i always felt that spurs and arsenal will be our main challengers in the run in.
spurs lie 1 point behind us atm with a game in hand and arsenal 3 back after their worst start to a league campaign for as long as i can remember.
both have decent squads and have key players who can win games from nothing so like us keeping those players fit is key to each others respective challenges.
for spurs its modric,bale,van de v and defoe.
for arsenal its van persie,vermaelaen and walcott.
for us its agger,gerrard and suarez.
we can be confident that should we need to in january fsg will release funds to strenghten us further.
the end of the season is a long long way away but we unlike the other 2 dont have european football to contend with and that will occupy them till at least feb next year so its imperetive that we get things right on the field and open a gap on them.
city and that smell that lingers on the other side of mankchester are odds on to battle for the league with the chavs nailing 3rd.were 3 behind chavs and 6 behind the others but we dont have as good a squad as any of them so i doubt 3rd or higher is achievable in the long run.
kennys first 6 months here were fantastic and heralded some great results,fantastic performances and a brilliant points haul so when he gets this lot singing from the same hymn sheet we will rightfully claim back a place in europes top competition where we belong :buttrock .
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:32 pm

We have some good squad players now and a few potentially top class players but we are still lacking that extra bit of flair that at the moment we probably would only get from Suarez and Gerrard. I think we need at least 2 signings in January, and one of them should be an established player. I don't like the word marquee signing but they should be good now, not in 4 years time. Also some cover at the back would be good as quite frankly we are a shambles.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:04 am

if kenny insists on buying young english talent then we should move for shawcross.he would slot right in and improve us no end.another one worth looking at is jarvis.he had a brilliant season last year and was absolutely fantastic today.dominated our right wing all day and caused us all sorts of problems.
we do need to break the bank though and sign another striker who can have a similar impact to suarez.might have to look abroad for that one though.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 am

Someone like Llorente would be good. But good shout on Jarvis. I heard a few rumors that we were trying to sign him on deadline day, no idea if there was anything in it but think he would do alright here.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:17 am

llorente would be a gamble for me and i dont think he is prolific enough in front of goal.i say go all out and get someone like eto or poach an unhappy van persie off arsenal.
both clinical strikers and guranteed goalscorers.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:10 am

The first line I totally agree with the topic starter.
That also means if that isn't happening someone should be held accountable.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:14 am

You mean Kenny?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:18 am

Comolli already stated that he needs to see how the team plays till January, if he and KD still thinks that there are some areas needs improving then I'm sure we sign extra players to improve in our weak areas. As of now we still lack a top CB. Coates might come good, but I don't think it will be this year.

so let us see where we are in Christmas
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:47 pm

I am pretty sure if we're in and around 4th we're going to make that final push necessary in the Jan. window, a CB is for sure going to come in I think regardless of how Coates turns out because even if he does really well we're still left with 4 and only Agger is going to be really holding down a spot.  Isn't this Carra's last year on his contract as well?  I think we'll bring in a CB and maybe a CM.  We need another midfielder, I don't think Adam is the long term solution unless we plan on playing 3 in midfield.
Zidane

Postby mart » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:55 pm

red till i die!! wrote:llorente would be a gamble for me and i dont think he is prolific enough in front of goal.i say go all out and get someone like eto or poach an unhappy van persie off arsenal.
both clinical strikers and guranteed goalscorers.

Two extremely unrealistic signings imo. Isnt eto currently the highest paid player in the world? In that russian club controlled by some mafiaboss.

I thought we would easily get 4th this season, but the new signings and kennys team selections/tactics have been very unimpressing. Even with arsenal in such a weakened state I dont think we will get higher than 5th.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:52 pm

tubby wrote:You mean Kenny?

Pretty sure Comolli isn't without blame either.
Not sure who makes all the decisions, but with that major investment 4th is a must.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:59 pm

I've always been interested to know who makes the decisions too. Obviously Kenny being the figure he is was never going to let Comolli choose all the players for him but at the same time if it were all down to Comolli would he have gone for the same players? I think the reality is it's a bit of a compromise but Kenny has made the majority of the decisions so far. I think 4th is a stretch too far this season if we don't improve the squad in the January window.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:40 pm

I think 4th this year will be a stretch.

If you look at all the signings we have made if you took Suarez and Gerrard out, the remaining still dont instill me with CL confidence. Despite everything we have done in the transfer market we still look like a 2 man team.

Yes the overall squad quality has improved and we have bought in some good players, but nobody to set the world alight on the biggest stage in football.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:07 pm

RedSi35 wrote:Despite everything we have done in the transfer market we still look like a 2 man team.

At the moment this is true. I think potentially we can offer so much more if the likes of Carroll, Downing and Henderson improve. I think Adam is average tbh. But the other 3 can do better, perhaps not on a CL world class level.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:51 pm

tubby wrote:
RedSi35 wrote:Despite everything we have done in the transfer market we still look like a 2 man team.

At the moment this is true. I think potentially we can offer so much more if the likes of Carroll, Downing and Henderson improve. I think Adam is average tbh. But the other 3 can do better, perhaps not on a CL world class level.

thats another thing that could be a problem for us in whether the players we have bought can compete in the cl.
i would be confident that downing and enrique could handle it.
carroll i still feel will be a massive player for us when he finds his feet and when our players realise how to get the best out of him he will be a monster.
big doubts on adam and henderson though.both seem to be struggling atm and more so in hendersons case so the next few months will show whether they can improve enough to warrant a place should we qualify.
the next transfer window will have to be used to select the right men to help with the run in and one's that can most certainly be used in europe.

big question though has to be asked whether kenny also has the skills to push us on a european front as he has almost no experience managing in europe and we were very poor last year in the few games he did manage us in the el.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion