Saturday - I can't wait.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby supersub » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:21 pm

lets cut out the name calling,lads

That is not true! statistically it's impossible to gauge.But if you get into real conversation on the matter,around the pubs on match-day,it's a 50-50 call for GH.Everyone is behind the team,without question.Certain players are inept and not good enough but will get support if they show commitement.Sadly our most expensive purchase is a 20 minute a game player,but you still find the odd supporter who likes him.
Last edited by supersub on Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:18 pm

You're okay Supersub, don't worry about me, sticks and stones and all that.

All is i'm saying is that this is exactly the stuff I was protesting about in the first place Beavis.  Silly arguing.  It's yours or nobody elses business where I live.  Thats why I never put my address on my profile.  I don't have to justify my reasons to you for being on this site either.  If you don't like me, don't reply to me.  I didn't ask you to!!!  Simple as that.

I love Liverpool Football Club, I understand you do also, Beavis.  So let's both knock it in the head now and get on with discussing the club.  That is all I come on here for, but I will defend myself.  This is my last word on the subject.  Do you agree?  I said everything I wanted to say in my first post in this forum anyway.
jonnymac1979

Postby 116-1065305004 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:25 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:You're okay Supersub, don't worry about me, sticks and stones and all that.

All is i'm saying is that this is exactly the stuff I was protesting about in the first place Beavis.  Silly arguing.  It's yours or nobody elses business where I live.  Thats why I never put my address on my profile.  I don't have to justify my reasons to you for being on this site either.  If you don't like me, don't reply to me.  I didn't ask you to!!!  Simple as that.

I love Liverpool Football Club, I understand you do also, Beavis.  So let's both knock it in the head now and get on with discussing the club.  That is all I come on here for, but I will defend myself.  This is my last word on the subject.  Do you agree?  I said everything I wanted to say in my first post in this forum anyway.

Okay I am sorry I might have flew over the handle a bit Jonnymac, its just when you called me ambassador boy I thought you were taking the p#ss, anyway Im sorry hopefully no offence caused.
116-1065305004

Postby oldredeyes » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:37 pm

Jonnymac - stay with it mate, this site can't afford to lose knowledgeable fans who care about our team. I agree with a lot of what you have to say and your views are always worth reading. I agree about the schoolground stuff that creeps on the site- but my advice is 'ignore it' and talk about football. There are plenty out there who want to hear what you have to say. I feel sorry for all those fans who log on to the site from all parts of the world hoping to get an insight into our team and the supporters - God knows what they think when they see some of the posts.
Supersub, like you I go to the match regularly and agree with your stats about how many people still support GH. I also think that the mood is changing and we need to get a run together soon. A defeat by Birmingham could be a disaster too far.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1065305004 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:54 am

oldredeyes wrote:Jonnymac - stay with it mate, this site can't afford to lose knowledgeable fans who care about our team. I agree with a lot of what you have to say and your views are always worth reading. I agree about the schoolground stuff that creeps on the site- but my advice is 'ignore it' and talk about football. There are plenty out there who want to hear what you have to say. I feel sorry for all those fans who log on to the site from all parts of the world hoping to get an insight into our team and the supporters - God knows what they think when they see some of the posts.
Supersub, like you I go to the match regularly and agree with your stats about how many people still support GH. I also think that the mood is changing and we need to get a run together soon. A defeat by Birmingham could be a disaster too far.

Hope you dont mean me and Cheesy about the schoolground stuff I have settled my differences with people on this site and I am a fine ambassador! :)
116-1065305004

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:02 am

oldredeyes wrote:Jonnymac - stay with it mate, this site can't afford to lose knowledgeable fans who care about our team. I agree with a lot of what you have to say and your views are always worth reading. I agree about the schoolground stuff that creeps on the site- but my advice is 'ignore it' and talk about football. There are plenty out there who want to hear what you have to say. I feel sorry for all those fans who log on to the site from all parts of the world hoping to get an insight into our team and the supporters - God knows what they think when they see some of the posts.

Beavis, you're forgiven son, i've had a couple of showers since anyway.  I'm sure all you can smell now is CK1.

Agree with me though, "Back to the footy!!!".

OldRedEyes, Supersub; the lads (including you Beavis),  I have a story for you.

I was at the ("Coca Cola", "Worthington" Cup, can't really remember!!!, it was 1997!!!!) game when Roy Evans took his last game in charge of Liverpool.  It was against Tottenham Hotspur.  You may remember Mr. Houllier was co-manager.  I witnessed a bit of history that evening, you may say.  Evans' last game.

We lost the match 1-3 and I seem to remember sitting in the Kop being very vocal about the fact that we were awful.  Stephen Carr was eye catching I thought (I rate the guy, even six years ago).  I was also very vocal about the referee.  We were bad enough without him giving Tottenham an advantage.  We all remember those days.

All I remember six years on is that John Scales scored against us.  Sol campbell was colossal.  "Young" Michael Owen scored our consolation goal, injuring himself during the process as he raised our hopes.  I'm sure you remember!!!

My point is nobody was shouting for Evans' resignation that night.  It was inconceivable.  Liverpool Football Club just do not call for managers heads!!!! 

It was a sad evening.  Admittedly, as i'm sure we all remember, we were God awful.  I think the tallest player we had in the first eleven that night was David Thompson at 5'6.

Evans knew he had to go though.  I'm sure you all know who Stephen F. Kelly is.  Read his book on Houllier.  If you already have, you know the man would put Liverpool before himself.

Word has it, during the usually notorious "Liverpool Christmas Party" of 1998- 1999, (I may be wrong fellas, haven't got the exact dates to hand, may have been earlier or later) on Christmas Eve, Rick Parry, Phil Thompson and Gerard Houllier disappeared into the Liverpool Trophy Room, while the likes of Fowler and co. were making headlines,they were shaping the club.

Legend has it, they secured the names of a few signings that night, even communicating with a few high profile chairmen on their mobile phones, on the motorway, on the continent, on their way to Christmas breakfast.

And if Rick Parry hadnt had told Mr Houllier to go home that night, Mr. Houllier would have still been there Christmas morning, trying to sign the like of Sol Cammpbel, Kieran Dyer, Rio Ferdianand.

Shortly afterwards, he signed, under the nose of Knights of the Realm "Sir Alex" and "Sir Bobby", a pair of French kids named Anthony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama Pongolle, prompting said "Sir Alex" to call Mr. Houllier: "a Bugger!!!"

Sir Bobby signed Hugo Viana instead.

Sir Alex signed Diego Forlan instead.

They knew what they'd missed.

I'm hitting on what you said SuperSub/Has. 

Unfortunately, I can't get to every game. 

Are the fans really calling for Houllier inside Anfield?

By the way, about time about Kirkland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Liverpool, we're a couple of players away from being the team the Premiership needs.  Everyone would fear us.  Nobody likes to play Liverpool.  We've got the beating of anyone.  Somebody tell me what's missing!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember a couple of years ago before the UEFA Cup Semi Final was drawn, and the whole city was saying "Bring Barcelona on, we'll have them!!!"

And we did.

And we won the damn competition.  Tell Europe Liverpool are back!!!!!!!!!

Bring the Champions League on.

We were feared then.

A year later, we wanted Real Madrid.  We would have took even them!!!  We were THAT GOOD!!!!!!!!!

We could have beat them.

What happened?
jonnymac1979

Postby 116-1065305004 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:10 pm

Good question(by the way that CK1 smells gorgeous mate!)
I think what has happened is Houllier has lost the plot and he has taken the club as far as he can and even deep down Houllier knows that with comments he has made like, 'Dont expect too much this season' I think he might have briefly forgotten he was managing Liverpool and thought he was managing Bury for a brief moment though to make a stupid comment like that!
I feel for Houllier though, last season was dire but I thought then he deserved this season to get it right but it looks like the same old story and we need a change in manager.
116-1065305004

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:34 pm

First of all I would like to thank Mr Houllier for taking us from a sqaud of jokers into a squad that should be amongst the top teams.  I don't think we are that short of being able to compete with the "Big Three".  Rather than major overhaul I think the squad needs a little bit of fine tuning.  I think we are three quality players short of being able to compete.  But those players must be players that a ready for the first team, rather than potential first teamers (i.e.Biscan,Diao,Smicer).

I would cut my loses with Heskey, get rid of Troare, and Henchoz(let me explain), and get Babbel of the books.  Henchoz has been great for us but we need at least one centre back with pace.

Then I would bring in Boumsong on a free to partner Hyypia at the back.  Although Diouf has done well on the right, he often looks isolated, and dosen't look like part of the midfield, this comes from him being more of a striker.  I would do my upmost to bring in Simon Davies, though it would be diffucult it is not imposible, he would probarly cost around 9 Mil.  Then lastly we need to address the ongoing problem of 'Who partners Owen'? I am not sure about Cisse, I would like to see more of him before making a final judgement, if not him there are others out there, I have mentioned Mark Viduka a number of times and there others.

But these are the problems that need addressing in the immediate future, for the long term I think we will have to replace Hyypia for someone faster in order to complate our defence, and also Hamann, he is to slow, it remains to be seen wether Diao can provide the solution.

I do think the current squad is strong and should not drop below 4th place and maybe could brake into the top three.  But some of Houllier's decisions over the past year have deaply disapointed me, not playing an anchor man, Diao should have played this season, also he never gave a run to Cheyrou last season, when we had no left sided midfielder, he's reluctance to cut his loses on Heskey, playing Smicer in the wide positions when anyone can see that he's at his best when in the middle behind the strikers.

The fact that Houllier has now changed his mind and has decided to play in an attacking manor, tells me that he dosen't really have his own set of beliefs on how the game should be played, or he dosen't have enough confidence in his ability.

I think Houllier is a very proud man, and will never step down, so I think it is up to the board to tell him in the summer that his time is up.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oldredeyes » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:06 pm

Some great points made by everyone and it's hard to argue against any of the comments made. I am one of the old brigade and can honestly say I've never shouted for the head of any of the past managers. In fact the good ones - Shanks, Bob and Kenny never gave anyone any reason to doubt them. It's not that GH is an awful manager, he's just the wrong one for this club at this time. Sure we have moved on a bit since he came but lets be honest we could easily have ended up with nothing in the season we won the three cups - we didn't play that well in any of the finals. I like GH as a man and he has made some decent signings - and a lot of bad ones. If we lose two more games before Christmas I think his termination contract will be drawn up, unless he resigns. As a long time fan I would rather see the team go on and win every game that is left and prove us all wrong - but I have to be realistic. People just don't give us respect any more and we need someone to light a fire under the players and get this club back where it belongs. At the top.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1065305004 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:50 pm

I dont know why Houllier wants rid of Babbel he is a fantastic defender, he should get rid of s##t like Traore.  ???
116-1065305004

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion