Rooney to anfield?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:58 pm

Newbie post by meself. not usually someone to participate in forums and forgive me if this has been discussed b4. I'm in an office full of people who couldn't give a monkeys about footie and certainly not about transfer speculation...so this is me reaching out :)

Ok. Dr. Phil moment over.

I was just reading about how desperate Everton are looking at the moment, both for cash and players and it looks almost certain that Rooney is going to go. What with Benitez being so quiet on the transfer front and him looking to shed the dead wood from the squad, it occured that a cash + players deal by us for Rooney could see Everton happy and quite a steal on the Rooney front for the pool. It'd mean that he wouldn't have to move from home etc and "stay with his feet on the ground" which seems to be all so important etc etc.

Personally I think the spirit that he has previously shown is something that we definitely need back in the squad....he certainly would be giving Stevie a run for his money in the who is trying their best category. He's effectively home grown talent....(ok, a toffee....but still better than an unknown french signing that Mr. H was hell bent on bringing in). I think it would work and wonder if that is what is going on behind the scenes there??? A players + cash deal would be good for Moyes too as he doesn't seem to be getting anyone of quality for his 2 million that he has to throw around. The smicers, diaos and dioufs of this world could do a job for him and to buy them directly would be out of his league.

Any thoughts anyone?

Btw.....I realise at one time a move from Blue to Red or vice versa would be unthinkable....but there have been London based precedents for changes like that that worked. If the only other option is Utd.....I think he would rather go to pool than Manc.
Homebooby

Postby madred » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:07 pm

Welcome. In all honesty even if the board of Everton accepted a offer from Liverpool, I think Rooney would never do the unthinkable and join us. It seems to me that the lad has a pure hatred of us that no matter of money paid to him could overcome this! Although i think he is a world class talent i just dont think it would be right seeing him in Red anyway!
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:09 pm

rooney wouldn't get in our team. :p
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:21 pm

you'll have to excuse my ignorance there as I don't follow the papers at all.....could you fill me in on what Rooney has said against Liverpool to make you think that? I'm not aware of his opinions other than he is an everton fan.

I still have my doubts about it all. I know he is a young player, but he needs to capitalise on the impact he made in Euro 2004. It doesn't look like many people could afford him at that price and it does look a lot like he is going to be pushed. As far as I can see it, there aren't that many options for him at the moment. He doesn't want to get caught up in a Leeds style situation (my assumption) and 'pool or utd is a massive step up for him.

I also disagree with the comment about him not making our team. I think he would make a massive impact on the team....he could fit in nicely on the left hand side as he has done a little for England which would give Harry the opportunity to come and fill his usual position.....he never made an impact last season cos of Houlliers's insistance on playing people out of position
Homebooby

Postby maximus » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:21 pm

Pointless exercise, not even worth debating IMO.

This is a deal that will never happen, on grounds of pure logic.

What would be the point of spending £30 million on Rooney when we have 4 strikers already?? We need strengthening in iother areas like a creative midfielder, Or another quality defender with a bit of pace and strenghth.

Not to mention all the baggage that a high profile player moving across from EVerton to Liveropool would bring??

Not worth the hassle.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:24 pm

Homebooby wrote:I also disagree with the comment about him not making our team. I think he would make a massive impact on the team....he could fit in nicely on the left hand side as he has done a little for England which would give Harry the opportunity to come and fill his usual position

i'm lost

please explain

???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby madred » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:26 pm

You are not aware that he is Everton through and through?? Remember the once a blue always a blue shirt when he played for the youth team? Also spitting down at the floor in the direction of us at Woodison! Someone supposedly getting on a pc at his school to take the ****** out of Liverpool fans?
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:29 pm

Hi Maximus,

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my mail. Having seen what I have of Rooney, I think that he can fill an attacking/creative midfield position as well as he can a position up front. The few times that I have seen him play for England, that is what has impressed me more than anything, his link up play, creativity, directness etc.

Would agree about spending that much on a redundant player. I was merely looking at it from this point of view:

If Rooney stays, evertons money worries remain...only exagerrated by the increased pay check to rooney each week

Moyes needs players, whether Rooney stays or goes he needs players (he talks of at least 5 for a squad at the moment).

Liverpool have a bunch of players that they are looking to shed. Not too many people are looking to buy them by the looks of it. (3 weeks to go to the season and the 'dead wood' being identified in the media are still at the club)

I was just supposing that a deal could be done at little cost to Liverpool that would benefit both teams.

I don't see too many other clubs that would be able to offer that to Everton.

was just a thought.
Homebooby

Postby madred » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:32 pm

Only one club that that kid is going to and im think im going to be giving him even more stick in the future!
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby charwell » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:34 pm

Agreed, pointless - he ain't ever coming and one swallow doesn't make a summer - he was hardly outstanding last season. keep the lard @@@@ with the bitter blues
charwell

Postby maximus » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:36 pm

Homebooby, are you a blue nose in disguise??

Anyway, Hollywood is across the atlantic, and not across Stanley park.......................................You know, auditions for Shrek 3!!!!!  :D
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:42 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far javascript:emoticon(' :)')
smilie , my afternoon has picked up at least.

To Madred, as I mentioned before, when Stevie who is Liverpool through and through can be as good as signed to Chelsea...anything can happen. Arguably his situation is similar to Rooneys....loves his club, young talent, looking to play at the very top. Were it not for Benitez coming in, Stevie would be wearing blue now. Admittedly his loyalty to Liverpool allowed Benitez the benefit of the doubt..but there was a carrot in front of him to stay and the board weren't looking to cash in to clear debts.

Rooneys case is different. They need the money and they look as if they are going to push him out even if he wants to stay at this moment. The club appears to be in dire straits, 5 directors gone in 5 months and a boss who doesn't have a full squad and no realistic money to fill the spaces. That's how I see the situation as being quite unique. Sometimes when you are faced with 2 bad options, you take the lesser of 2 evils and I am sure that he will choose the club which can offer him the most.

St. Michael....uhmmm....I may be making a massive mistake....but I am certain I have seen Rooney in positions other than out and out striker. I am sure I have seen him on the left of the park and doing a nice job there.
I refer to Harry Kewell being our default left midfielder now and the fact that he was most successful at Leeds when he was occupying the 'Scholes' position. I don't think that he was anywhere near as effective where Houllier was playing him and he wasn't the only player he played out of position.
Homebooby

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:43 pm

Homebooby, assuming Shrek wanted to come to us and we actually wanted him the players + cash deal would still fail as I dont think EFC could afford the wages that some of our "dead wood " are receiving. :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:46 pm

Maximus,

Been a 'pool fan since I remember seeing them on Match of the Day on a sunday afternoon when I was a little un some 25 yrs ago. I figured your responses would go the way they have though. I guess I am just too optimistic.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:49 pm

Hi Woof woof (someone has a worse name than me...well done :D

Uhhm....in one way true....but people are only worth what people will pay for them and maybe the option of playing for a club that wants you as apposed to sitting on a bench for club that has stated they don't is a swaying factor.

I know, i know......i'm not realistic enough :p
Homebooby

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion