Rooney to anfield?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:50 pm

i agree that rooney is by no means an out and out striker. he doesn't score enough goals to be labelled that. and i agree that he drifts into certain positions on the field. however to ask him to be disciplined and play on the left side is merely wasting the kid's talents. whatever anyone says, harry kewell's best position is on the left side (just ask any leeds fans) and always will be, unless the new manager doesn't want to play a 4-4-2 formation. back in 2001 he was one of the best left wingers in europe.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:54 pm

so if you were to keep Kewell on the left and Rooney to fill that open role behind the front 2, you might go for it ? ;-)
Homebooby

Postby Sean » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:58 pm

We have decent strikers at our disposal.  There is no way we'll spend 30 million on a player that has yet to score 20 goals in premiership season.  If we do I'll give up on Benitez before a game is played.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:59 pm

Hi Sean,

I never mentioned spending any real cash on him though....certainly not 30 mill
Homebooby

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:03 pm

Hmmmmm , I guess it could be interesting, he works quite well with Owen and Gerrard, but personally I would prefer us to be looking to strengthen our defence.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:03 pm

You won't get him for less.  Everton need hard cash.  They won't take players + cash.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:08 pm

I guess the reason why I think that this is perhaps a good idea is thatI am frustrated with just how static and lacking in ideas we have looked in the attack for so many years. We always seem to look great in the first 2/3's of the pitch and then get lost. often the ball get played across the park a few times, maybe backwards then and then a last ditch long ball.

I've found it mind boggling that the players haven't been able to come up with much more than that. A long ball wasn't much use to anyone other than heskey, who either wasn't playing, or seemed to be out on the right. I always thought that the best way to play him was just behind 2 speedy strikers (Owen and Baros) for instance....at least then we'd be a little more dynamic than we are/were. Owen gets cut out of play far too easily in my opinion as he is the sole target man and admittedly Heskey is no shearer in holding up play/link up terms, but you get my point.

I just think that we need more threats from our midfield and more creation to give owen/cisse/baros etc the service they need and like what Rooney can do.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:10 pm

hi Sean, I take your point. I made my opinions known about the Everton cash/player crisis a while back.

I still think it isn't a bad deal for them. They look to be in big trouble at the moment.
Homebooby

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:15 pm

Homebooby wrote:Hi Woof woof (someone has a worse name than me...well done :D

I'll take that as a compliment. I adopted it during the "Hou let the dogs out " era.  :p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:15 pm

Homebooby wrote:I guess the reason why I think that this is perhaps a good idea is thatI am frustrated with just how static and lacking in ideas we have looked in the attack for so many years.

we had the ideal player to unlock defences. a european cup winner who oozed class. a player with vision, touch, technique, the lot. the problem was foolier never played him. you know who i'm talking about. a certain finn. when he played, he produced man of the match performances and then you didn't see him for the next three games. houllier preferred smicer, who has the ability but produces it once in a blue moon.

the other creative players who we had either retired (mcallister) or were sold (thompson, barmby, berger). more recently, danny murphy and harry kewell struggled to find their form on a consitent basis so stevie g ended up trying to do about three people's jobs.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:20 pm

Fully agree with you Stmike. Again, I am sure I am not the only one continually baffled by the frenchmans choices and I'm positive I;m not the first one to voice them on this forum.

I just wonder what Benitez has up his sleeve. With all the talk of him clearing people and and us clearly needing some new blood of sorts, he's not got that much time to move.  That said, I appreciate a man who takes his time to evaluate what he's got before he culls and spends.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:23 pm

home time for me....i'll pick up with you all tomorrow :)
Homebooby

Postby Sean » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:33 pm

Welcome to the forum Homebooby.  Expect your productivity at work to plummet.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion