Rafa hinting for transfer funds

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:32 pm

Liverpool boss Benitez puts a price on his top-class wish list after Torres pours misery on Pompey
Liverpool 4 Portsmouth 1
By CHRIS WHEELER

Rafael Benitez chose his words carefully, wary they might be perceived as another gripe against Liverpool's American owners.

But after seeing Fernando Torres again demonstrate why £21million was money well spent, Benitez will spend this Christmas wishing he could afford a few more like him

A win as routine as the score suggests eased the latest mini crisis surrounding the manager following successive Barclays Premier League defeats to Reading and Manchester United and an ill-tempered Carling Cup exit at Chelsea.

Asked to explain why his team can overpower UEFA Cup hopefuls like Portsmouth with such ease and yet continue to come up short against members of the Big Four, Benitez did not hesitate.

"The difference with United and Chelsea is top-class players — all of them," he said.

"When you talk about spending £20m on Torres, how many £20m players do United have? Four or five. Why do you pay £20m? Because they are players who can change games.

"If you have one or two and they have four or five, that could be the difference."

Whether that persuades George Gillett and Tom Hicks to part with that sort of money next month is another matter.

The Americans are believed to be struggling to refinance the £220m they borrowed to fund their Anfield takeover and cost concerns have already led to a rethink over the design of a new stadium.

Although talk of a transfer freeze has been dismissed, it is unlikely Benitez will be a major player when the wheeling and dealing gets under way next week.

Securing Javier Mascherano on a permanent basis would be enough for now, even though it is still unclear if and when the Americans will agree to fund the £17m deal.

Benitez said: "We are working together on a lot of issues and we just have to wait. I have confidence he will stay with us.

"Mascherano gives us balance and allows the others to play their own game. It's really important for players like Torres that they can go forward and sometimes forget they need to defend."

Not that Torres had to inconvenience himself with such trifling matters against a side who themselves forgot to defend at times.

Mascherano was as impressive as the Spaniard in his understated role, but Torres deservedly took the plaudits for terrorising Portsmouth.

The usually unflappable pairing of Sol Campbell and Sylvain Distin were in such a state that when Campbell tried to poke the ball away from Torres after 16 minutes, he deflected it off Distin and into his own net.

That came three minutes after Harry Kewell crossed for Yossi Benayoun to volley in, thus ending any fears of Liverpool suffering a third successive League defeat.

Benjani's strike after the interval briefly disrupted Liverpool's flow, but another defensive mess allowed Torres to stroke home the third.

There was even time to bamboozle Campell again and earn the corner which led to him volleying in his 14th goal of the season.

Pompey's contribution was negligible.

They were level on points before kick-off and on a run of six away wins, but manager Harry Redknapp was right to scoff when asked if he could now contemplate challenging for a Champions League place.

With the African Nations Cup about to deprive him of four men, Redknapp is looking anxiously at the transfer window. But he can only dream about signing players like Torres.

Redknapp said: "The lad's got pace, terrific skill but for that money he should be half decent.

"The African Nations is a big problem. We'll be looking to get three or four in. We've punched above our weight so far this season but we did it last season, too.

"I said at the start of the year I'd be happy with a top-half finish but we've had a great start — 30 points before Christmas.

"The ambition is to take Portsmouth into Europe but I'll take anything above this now."

With Arsenal going to Fratton Park on Boxing Day, it will not get any easier.

Liverpool, meanwhile, head for Derby convinced they are back in the title race — even though they must still go to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates.

Striker Dirk Kuyt said: "We want to compete with Arsenal, United and Chelsea, so we can't afford to lose any more games.

"But we have the quality to beat them and it's just a matter of time before we do so.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Rafa has every right to talk how he wants. :censored: the owners, hes done more for this club than the owners have so far. All the owners have done is :censored: up a good thing. If they want silverwear and returns on what little they have forked out, if they want to compete with the likes of Chelsea and UNnited then they have to fork out the funds and that means more than just 1 summer of spending. Rafa should just have been given an open cheque book to be honest and that way he could have gone for players of Torres calibre and we wouldnt be in this mess.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:41 pm

bavlondon wrote:Rafa has every right to talk how he wants. :censored: the owners, hes done more for this club than the owners have so far. All the owners have done is :censored: up a good thing. If they want silverwear and returns on what little they have forked out, if they want to compete with the likes of Chelsea and UNnited then they have to fork out the funds and that means more than just 1 summer of spending. Rafa should just have been given an open cheque book to be honest and that way he could have gone for players of Torres calibre and we wouldnt be in this mess.

you are right mate , he does have and look at the difference a player which costs a bomb and what can he add and offer to the club . the main reason for our victory against portsmouth was cos of masch whom twice took the ball from sulley muntari and torres constant pressure . Torres got us the points at fulham whr we were looking to get a undeserved draw but he came on and got us the 3 points . Thats what a 20 million odd so player can do for a team
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:45 pm

Now I know we all said when these yanks came in that we dont want to "buy the league" and spend like £20mil per player on 5 players but sit back and ask yourself after watching what Torres can do would it not have been a good idea to do just tha? We would have the depth in the squad of not just ok players but top class players!! And we might have actually challanged this year. Fair enough we still have the European Cup and FA Cup but its the league we crave the most and we look no closer to it this season that in any other in recent years. I just hope Rafa is still in charge come the start of next season. I dont know if these owners have the balls to sack him, I hope not.
Last edited by tubby on Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:48 pm

bavlondon wrote:Now I know we all said when these yanks came in that we dont want to "buy the league" and spend like £20mil per player on 5 players but sit back and ask yourself after watching what Torres can do would it not have been a good idea to do just tha? We would have the depth in the squad of not just ok players but top class players!! And we might have actually challanged this year. Fair enough we still have the European Cup and FA Cup but its the league we crave the most and we look no closer to it this season that in any other in recent years. I just hope Rafa is still in charge come the start of next season. I dont know if these owners have the balls to sack him, I hope not.

seems like they might sack him before they sell the club? Klinsman seems to be the favourite if rafa is sacked , don't know how true that rumour is . hope this yanks just sell us now and a rich buyer buys us . thakshin , the shiek or the hong kong dude who was interested in birmingham , i think it was carson yeung
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:57 pm

Everyone will be scatching their heads if Klinsman comes in. But seriously would they trust him with a club of this magnitude given he has had no experience in a top flight club team?

As for new owners if anyone were to come in and buy us now surley it would be for an overinflated price right? It wont be Thaksin as hes already got Man City hasnt he? The only people id have are DIC and thats only because they have a fat wallet. All that talk of one of their kids having a screen saver doesnt mean :censored: either. The days of a family owned club or a club owner who has the club in his heart are long gone folks. All that is left is money, money and money and thats all that matters sadley so we need to make sure whoever is looking after us has plenty of it. I know it sounds Chelsea-eque to talk like that but lets face it, thats the reality of the game nowdays.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:04 pm

bavlondon wrote:Everyone will be scatching their heads if Klinsman comes in. But seriously would they trust him with a club of this magnitude given he has had no experience in a top flight club team?

As for new owners if anyone were to come in and buy us now surley it would be for an overinflated price right? It wont be Thaksin as hes already got Man City hasnt he? The only people id have are DIC and thats only because they have a fat wallet. All that talk of one of their kids having a screen saver doesnt mean :censored: either. The days of a family owned club or a club owner who has the club in his heart are long gone folks. All that is left is money, money and money and thats all that matters sadley so we need to make sure whoever is looking after us has plenty of it. I know it sounds Chelsea-eque to talk like that but lets face it, thats the reality of the game nowdays.

well , this the yanks certainly seem like they would , if they do not sell us that is .

Yes mate , i agree with u , football is always changing and now it has become a money making business for owners of clubs , they buy and sell for vast profits , the yanks want to sell us for 3 times they amount they bought us at , although that is specifically rumored.  We cannot compare to chelsea , they have a blank cheque book behind them and also If DIC do take over us , i think they would give us the money to sign players and that would really be good . We shall see how it goes in the future but as for this season , the title race is not over as we still have the players to win it . All i can say is game on. My mates , whom support other clubs barely knew the name of our old owner , cos he always stayed out of the limelight but as for hicks and gillet , its a different story , they seem happy to wash our dirty linen in public
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jono » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:19 pm

whats the difference in money between finishing 1st or 4th? If it is only about 10 mill then why splash out and waste 20 mill on another player, thats probably how the yanks look at it.

Rafa will just have to be a bit more clever in the transfer market if money is tight, he did good in the summer.

lets face it no chance of us winning the prem this year, not givin up but we are nowhere near Manure are we, throwing money at it in January won't make much of a difference better to wait till summer and see how everythin pans out
You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice
jono

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:58 am

Toffeehater wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Rafa has every right to talk how he wants. :censored: the owners, hes done more for this club than the owners have so far. All the owners have done is :censored: up a good thing. If they want silverwear and returns on what little they have forked out, if they want to compete with the likes of Chelsea and UNnited then they have to fork out the funds and that means more than just 1 summer of spending. Rafa should just have been given an open cheque book to be honest and that way he could have gone for players of Torres calibre and we wouldnt be in this mess.

you are right mate , he does have and look at the difference a player which costs a bomb and what can he add and offer to the club . the main reason for our victory against portsmouth was cos of masch whom twice took the ball from sulley muntari and torres constant pressure . Torres got us the points at fulham whr we were looking to get a undeserved draw but he came on and got us the 3 points . Thats what a 20 million odd so player can do for a team

well maybe if rafa wasnt so concerned with buying a massive squad filled with mediocrity and spent that money on less players with
more quality he wouldnt be in this position,

why do people always miss the obvious where rafa is concerned? kuyt is :censored: and a waste of money, that money could have been put towards another 20 million player etc etc etc, but rafa is too concerned with having a massive squad and the massive wage bill that entails just so he can chop and change players at will.

genius my *rse
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:03 am

Toffeehater wrote:they seem happy to wash our dirty linen in public

no mate, rafa did that when he spat his dummy out and the owners acted with decorum and said they would discuss it when they came to liverpool, hardly washing dirty linen in public is it?

:no

all this cr*p some of you guys are giving the owners at the moment is laughable and based on the press, one minute you are saying dont believe the press about one subject and the next you are believing them about another subject, the next you are telling people to get behind the club while undermining it yourselves.

get a grip, when we hear it from the owners then we can deal with it, the press must love it when people buy into their stories causing disruption at the club
112-1077774096

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:04 am

peewee wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

well maybe if rafa wasnt so concerned with buying a massive squad filled with mediocrity and spent that money on less players with

why do people always miss the obvious where rafa is concerned? kuyt is :censored: and a waste of money, that money could have been put towards another 20 million player etc etc etc, but rafa is too concerned with having a massive squad and the massive wage bill that entails just so he can chop and change players at will.

genius my *rse

Right before i start Merry Xmas Peewee

But tell me please who are you gonna put in there that will do a better job than what Benitez is doin cause for the life of me im scratchin my head thinking of someone better
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:07 am

NANNY RED wrote:
peewee wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:

genius my *rse

Right before i start Merry Xmas Peewee

But tell me please who are you gonna put in there that will do a better job than what Benitez is doin cause for the life of me im scratchin my head thinking of someone better

i never said 'rafa out' nanny so i have not even thought about anyone else, but the fact that some people can not find fault with the man and look to put all the blame elsewhere does get a little tedious after a while.

rafa needs to get himself in order before he starts laying down the law, a title win would put him in a better position when negotiating rather than some mediocre results and some dodgy buys

merry xmas nanny
112-1077774096

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:17 am

Imo though hes the manager hes got a right to lay down the law . I  have a manager in my buissines and if hes not happy with the way thing are being run or needs money for projects hell certainly create and let me know . I appointed him for this reason ok hes made mistakes hes over spent on the budget hes employed workers that have not been up to my standards but i trust him cause i believe hes the best man for the job and will get me the results i want .
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:26 am

NANNY RED wrote:Imo though hes the manager hes got a right to lay down the law . I  have a manager in my buissines and if hes not happy with the way thing are being run or needs money for projects hell certainly create and let me know . I appointed him for this reason ok hes made mistakes hes over spent on the budget hes employed workers that have not been up to my standards but i trust him cause i believe hes the best man for the job and will get me the results i want .

and if your manager went straight to the press causing disharmony in your company you would..................................?

if your manager was failing to deliver on a regular basis using the tools he has bought, maybe using the wrong tool for the wrong job at times you would ........................................?

if your manager paid millions for a tool but then never used it on occasion preferring to use a tool that isn't right for the job and not getting the job done you would.......................................?

if your manager found a system that worked and didn't stick with it you would............................................?

come on nanny, rafa makes many mistakes, he is far from perfect and like i say at the moment he isn't really in a position to dictate to the owners, i think they were right to tell him to concentrate on what he has, he bought them, this is now rafas squad, how can the owners be responsible for team selection? how can the owners be responsible for tactics? next we will have posters on here telling us its the owners fault we are 10 points behind the leaders at xmas
112-1077774096

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:58 am

peewee wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Imo though hes the manager hes got a right to lay down the law . I  have a manager in my buissines and if hes not happy with the way thing are being run or needs money for projects hell certainly create and let me know . I appointed him for this reason ok hes made mistakes hes over spent on the budget hes employed workers that have not been up to my standards but i trust him cause i believe hes the best man for the job and will get me the results i want .

and if your manager went straight to the press causing disharmony in your company you would..................................?

if your manager was failing to deliver on a regular basis using the tools he has bought, maybe using the wrong tool for the wrong job at times you would ........................................?

if your manager paid millions for a tool but then never used it on occasion preferring to use a tool that isn't right for the job and not getting the job done you would.......................................?

if your manager found a system that worked and didn't stick with it you would............................................?

come on nanny, rafa makes many mistakes, he is far from perfect and like i say at the moment he isn't really in a position to dictate to the owners, i think they were right to tell him to concentrate on what he has, he bought them, this is now rafas squad, how can the owners be responsible for team selection? how can the owners be responsible for tactics? next we will have posters on here telling us its the owners fault we are 10 points behind the leaders at xmas

1) im not a billon dollar company owner who also by the way used to own newspapers . But i think Benitez had a right to let us no what was going on we are the ones who put are hard earned cash in to there pockets Rafa didnt like what was happening behind the scenes by the way im sure we only know half the story but dont forget Rafa answeres to us aswell on a daily basis.
We got on his back about signing this one and that one and i know we never air our dirty linen in public but i for one am grateful he came out and tild us his hands were tied

2) Up until a couple of weeks ago Rafa tools were working perfect lol

3) Dont forget Peewee i think your referring to Torres here this lad is new to the prem hes even surpassed my expectations of him but look at the games Rafa left him out we should have an able squad of players and i think we have who should still be able to win games even if there diamond drill is being rested

4) so your telling me we should stick to the same eleven players week in week out. Gone are the days when we used 15 players in one season . If thats the case why buy more players. In this one i think your referring to Kuyt so when Rafa bought him and im talking before he put on the shirt did you think he was :censored: or did you say good buy

Sometimes tools break down or get rusty you try to fix them or oil them but some tools will do for cetain jobs otheres wont
:D
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion