Race for Champs league spot

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:26 pm

I feel we need a thread like this.
Title is way put of our hands and to be honest we were never in the race.

2nd-4th will be up for grabs and a tough ride till the end.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:14 am

Top 4 will be tough, but we'll do it again this season.

As CL winners  :rasp  :rasp
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:25 am

redshade » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:26 pm wrote:I feel we need a thread like this.
Title is way put of our hands and to be honest we were never in the race.

2nd-4th will be up for grabs and a tough ride till the end.

This topic is pants!!
We are gonna go on a run and win the league, I'm telling you!!
Don't worry about our performances so far this season. We have created loads of chances, our defence has just been a bit leaky, and we just need to tighten up.

14 points behind man city, only 14 games played. Watch them drop points, and watch us reel them in!! No way are Man city going to keep this amazing start to the season going, they are winning games in injury time FFS and are riding their luck. Just before we got stuffed 5-0,they were lucky to get a draw v Everton. Their luck will run out soon...
Why!?? Because they are only human beings-flesh and blood,they are not machines or robots. Soon they will have a dip in form.
I'm telling you all.
Magic mo will save the day. :) the best player in the Premier league currently.

Don't be defeatist you lot and believe. If not we can win the champions league instead :) :) :)
Last edited by Ghost of Shankly on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:19 am

Just a realist mate anyone who believes we can win the league is nuts like our nutcase manager :D.

The so called race will be between Man utd and City i reckon.

I guess we will get an even better picture end of Jan.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:07 am

In my opinion there isn't a title race. I think this is City's slump and they're still pulling out wins - they'll have a dip when the league is effectively sewn up and they switch their focus to Europe.

We can make top 4, Spurs have lost their way and we need to take advantage. It's a long season ahead but I'm confident. We must get CL again next season because Europa could potentially derail our season and with Keita coming in and potentially VVD we could be onto a very strong squad and Thursday Sunday football is something we could do without.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby kazza » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:56 pm

As I say every year, we need 22 wins to guarantee CL football. We have seven wins so far which means we need 15 more wins from 24 matches which seems very reachable but we seem to be drawing too many matches. Arsenal have lost 4 times already compared to our 2 times but they only drew once and have won 9 times already and are ahead of us in the table.  I think on current form we will not make it but had we managed to win two of our draws we would be four points better off and in third head of Chelsea and only two points behind ManUre and I can easily think of at least two matches we drew that we should have won.

In a nutshell 4th is very possible but we need to tighten up at the back and start closing out matches.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:47 pm

I wish they would take a CL spot away from 4th so then we would have to aim that wee bit higher every season :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Surely we can do a bit better than 4th this season. What about second place for a change!? 4th is a bit boring these days. :)
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Yup 2nd or 3rd would be nice and it is possible.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:12 am

Realistically, I think our squad is as good as any team, apart from say Man City. We just need to tweak it here or there to find the right balance, and then find some form.

There is no reason why we cannot finish in 2nd place, as Man for Man, our attack/squad is as good as Spurs, Chelsea or Man Utd.

A lot of our attacking players have got 10-20 goals EACH a season in them, Llalana, Salah, Mane, Coutinho, Firminho, etc etc.., so in theory we should not fail to win matches.

If you look how iffy our form has been, drawing a few, dropping points etc, we are still only six points off second. And we have yet to hit TOP FORM. As soon as that happens, we will score for fun.

For me, success this season is: 1. finishing higher than 4th. AND., having a good run or winning the champions league.

That's what I reckon.
Last edited by Ghost of Shankly on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:17 am

Score for fun i agree but we also have the tendency to leak goals for fun as well which is why in my opinion Man utd, Chelsea are in a stronger position than us. Spurs have got a splid squad but seem to be going through a bad patch and Arsenal are Arsenal.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:42 am

redshade » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:17 am wrote:Score for fun i agree but we also have the tendency to leak goals for fun

We have conceded right now, 19 goals in 15 league matches. That includes two routs by city and spurs. What's the average (including those two matches). It's 1.26 goals per game average we have conceded. How BAD is our defence... really!? You might be surprised :p
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ken_job » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:03 am

Ghost, conceding 19 in 15 is a very poor record. Swansea are bottom of the league table and they have conceded 18 in 15. So our defensive record is worse than the team in last
ken_job

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:15 am

ken_job » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:03 am wrote:Ghost, conceding 19 in 15 is a very poor record. Swansea are bottom of the league table and they have conceded 18 in 15. So our defensive record is worse than the team in last

It's still only 1 per game roughly, and 9 of those were in just TWO matches (spurs, city), just work out the average.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:04 am

Arsenal and Chelsea drew 2-2. I guess it is a good result for us however i would have preferred an Arsenal win because they are prone to drop points more than Chelsea during the season.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion