Liverpool and everton in champs league - Uefa toys with 5 english teams idea

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby el_stinger » Mon May 02, 2005 2:39 am

From Skysports and BBC

Boost for Merseyside duo
by Mark Buckingham -  created on 1 May 2005

Everton and Liverpool could both play in next season's UEFA Champions League, according to the organisation's president Lennart Johansson.
The two Merseyside rivals are currently competing for fourth spot in The Premiership, while Liverpool still have a chance of winning this season's Champions League.
Should The Reds triumph in Europe and Everton finish fourth, then it is expected The Football Association must decide between the two clubs as to who competes in next term's Champions League.
But Uefa president Johansson is refusing to discount the possibility of England having five representatives in the 2005/06 competition.
Johansson feels it would be unfair on Everton to miss out on the Champions League and believes there is room for manoeuvre on the issue.
"This is a very demanding case but it doesn't mean it can not be discussed," Johansson told BBC Radio 5 Live.
"They (Liverpool) are welcome with their point of view. They can make any proposal and we will deal with it and we will give them a quick answer.
"The door is always open. We are there to serve football and not just dictate so they are welcome to make a request if the situation occurs.
"If there is a possibility to make an exception for the winner of the Champions League then there could be an additional place.
"It is for the executive committee to decide and anything can be granted if they decide to go to the member associations and ask for a change in the regulations.
"But it would be unfair on Everton, who have played the whole season and qualified via fourth place, to then exclude them."
Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry is not keen to dwell on this thorny issue while there are still matters to be decided this term.
Parry said: "I've heard Mr Johansson's positive words but it's not an issue that's a live debate at this stage.
"There's a long way to go in both competitions and we are still in contention for fourth place and playing for that.
"It's an intriguing possibility but at this moment in time it's still a theoretical possibility. If, and when, the time comes that is when we will express a view."

No other country would go for it, and for an extra English club to be entred, there has to be a country that loses one of its representatives. I hope a Greek side makes way mind you.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Tue May 03, 2005 1:49 pm

We can still get fourth.

All we need is a point at Arsenal and a win against villa and we have 59.

I think Everton will loose against Arsenal and Bolton. Hopefully Newcastle can hold them to a draw which gives them 59.

We go through on GD. :D
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Tue May 03, 2005 1:58 pm

It sounded good, I think UEFA would let LFC in - we are still a big name in Europe and as champions it'd be good for the tournament

I think though, to be honest, it is still more probable that we won't win the CL than we will.

I agree that we can still make 4th, i think though that we need to beat Arsenal, then if Everton draw their last three games, we're there.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion