Race for Champs league spot

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2018 11:14 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Sun May 06, 2018 9:22 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2018 9:23 pm wrote:Klopp: 'We don't have the squad.  We have injury problems.  The players coming back are without rhythm. We have 11/12 players who play constantly - that never helps.'

They are all probably well knackered!
Klopp needs to address this in the summer, some decent back up for our strikers and another top midfielder, as well as Keita.

They are shattered mate, even Mo, he looks like he hasn't got much more left to give.
The players have been absolutely magnificent this season, in this country just to finish in the top 4 takes some doing so to get to a CL final as well is nothing short of phenomenal, to fight on 2 very competitive fronts with a threadbare squad like ours, playing the type of high intensity football we do...its been an incredible effort, one of the gutsiest I've ever seen.
There are groups of players around the world who would have thrown the towel in mentally when Coutinho was sold mid season but our lads took it on the chin and scrapped and fought like tigers.
Could you imagine Tottenham getting to a CL final if Kane was sold halfway through the season or Chelsea if Hazard was? No chance.
I think that last spate of injuries when Emre, Lallana, Gomez and Chambo all got injured around the same time was probably the straw that broke the camels back though. It left us stretched to the absolute limit squad wise and pretty much left Jurgen with no other option but to run our starting XI into the ground.
Whatever happens over these last 2 matches the lads cannot be accused of not playing for the shirt, they have given everything and more. They deserve to win that CL, wether they are actually physically capable of doing so we'll have to wait and see.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Big Niall » Sun May 06, 2018 11:19 pm

WE Have no bench, Ings, solange, origi, various prospects aren’t good enough. We’ve been lucky the front three haven’t been injured , we need at least two forwards to come in.

Think we will beat Brighton though and secure fourth spot.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon May 07, 2018 12:26 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2018 11:14 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Sun May 06, 2018 9:22 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 06, 2018 9:23 pm wrote:Klopp: 'We don't have the squad.  We have injury problems.  The players coming back are without rhythm. We have 11/12 players who play constantly - that never helps.'

They are all probably well knackered!
Klopp needs to address this in the summer, some decent back up for our strikers and another top midfielder, as well as Keita.

They are shattered mate, even Mo, he looks like he hasn't got much more left to give.
The players have been absolutely magnificent this season, in this country just to finish in the top 4 takes some doing so to get to a CL final as well is nothing short of phenomenal, to fight on 2 very competitive fronts with a threadbare squad like ours, playing the type of high intensity football we do...its been an incredible effort, one of the gutsiest I've ever seen.
There are groups of players around the world who would have thrown the towel in mentally when Coutinho was sold mid season but our lads took it on the chin and scrapped and fought like tigers.
Could you imagine Tottenham getting to a CL final if Kane was sold halfway through the season or Chelsea if Hazard was? No chance.
I think that last spate of injuries when Emre, Lallana, Gomez and Chambo all got injured around the same time was probably the straw that broke the camels back though. It left us stretched to the absolute limit squad wise and pretty much left Jurgen with no other option but to run our starting XI into the ground.
Whatever happens over these last 2 matches the lads cannot be accused of not playing for the shirt, they have given everything and more. They deserve to win that CL, wether they are actually physically capable of doing so we'll have to wait and see.

I don't know about you matey, but I have been knackered just Watching us this season! It's emotionally draining for us all. I was gutted when oxlade-chamberlain got injured, he was just starting to show some Decent form..

The sort of football we have played since Coutinho left is nothing short of magnificent, the boys have really stepped up. I think the key is the chemistry between the front three, the link up play, cohesion etc. We have the right balance there it seems..

Im just hoping Mo Salah has not burnt himself out this season. After the Brighton game, I would give all the squad a week off from training, then a week's training for the final in Kiev.

Look at the subs bench for the last few matches including Roma... Ings, Solanke, Woodburn, Klavan and Clyne, Migs etc.. It's p*ss weak. Jurgen has got fuckk all to play with,no options, no plan B etc. It's a miracle we are where we are currently..

If we don't win versus Brighton, then we WILL have to win the champions league to get CL football next season. So at least we know what's what. Two cup finals coming up, or just one maybe!? .. That is the question!
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Mon May 07, 2018 1:05 am

We really need to learn and it seems like we don't rectify our mistakes. Last season we only had the champions league push and we juat about pulled through. Even then the players seems knackered and this season we've been on two fronts. This summer we really need to invest quality and quantity into this squad.

I would have preferred a nice relaxed last game at Anfield but it will be another nerve racking one.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon May 07, 2018 6:38 am

Let's be positive ,we control our future and we aren't dependent on any other teams which is great.
Against Brighton at home ,a team which lost interest in the season ,should be more then a doable task ,we have enough time to rest till the game and after the game so fatigue won't be a factor.

If Rafa will lend us a hand and beat Spurs and Chelsea i won't complain.

Yes would have preferred that we relax a bit but maybe it's a blessing in disguise..Keep us focused and on our toes.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Mon May 07, 2018 12:29 pm

How many players are paid by LFC ? , the back up (Solange , Ings etc ) should be good enough to beat the bottom half teams. Klopp clearly doesn’t think they are so has run our first team into the ground.

2 goalies (1 top class) , 2 centre backs (only have 1 CB in the whole club ) , a creative midfielder and 2 strikers (no more Ings, Sturridge, Origi, Solange ) are required. I feel we are still in transition.

We will finish where we deserve.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon May 07, 2018 12:55 pm

After three flat performances versus West Brom,Stoke and Chelsea on the spin, I'm expecting a reaction from the boys versus Brighton. Obviously it will be more or less the same team, but the front three just need to do the business one more time.
At home, final game of the season, we should be up for it, and I expect us to seal fourth place then
With a comfortable win.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 pm

only me » Mon May 07, 2018 5:38 am wrote:Let's be positive ,we control our future and we aren't dependent on any other teams which is great.
Against Brighton at home ,a team which lost interest in the season ,should be more then a doable task ,we have enough time to rest till the game and after the game so fatigue won't be a factor.

Yes would have preferred that we relax a bit but maybe it's a blessing in disguise..Keep us focused and on our toes.

With all due respect OM i don't think you've quite grasped how knackered our players are, they've gone mate, they are wiped out.
Since the start of April practically the same group of players played on the 4th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 21st, 24th, 28th, 2nd and 6th.
That's 9 games in a calendar month. We aren't talking about run of the mill games here either, we are talking about highly charged energy sapping champions league quarter finals and semi finals with fans greeting the coaches before the game and worldwide tv audiences running into the hundreds of millions if not billions, and that's without mentioning the Merseyside derby at Goodison park and an away trip to Stamford Bridge as well. The Goodison derby is Everton's biggest game of the year, it wasn't even our biggest game that week.
Our players aren't just physically drained they are mentally drained as well. Because of the demands of English football (no winter break etc) this stage of the season is tough anyway, even for clubs not in the CL, as Jurgen said yesterday we have 11 or 12 players who have played non-stop, they have run themselves to a standstill.
We've hit the wall mate, we haven't got the squad to be competing on 2 fronts but somehow the lads have managed to do it, god knows how, they are paying for it now though, they are out on their feet.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon May 07, 2018 3:56 pm

We do seem to be limping to a finish in the league but expect us to put Brighton away pretty early on in that game put CL qualification to bed.  Chelsea and spurs fixtures don't look particularly difficult. Spurs are at home to both Newcastle and Leicester with both teams looking like they are already on the beach with nothing to play for to be honest. Similarly Chelsea have Hudderfield at home and Newcastle away and can't see other than 2 wins for Chelsea there. Anyway, I'm not concerned what the other teams so, it's simple, we win on sunday and it's job done and think we'll find it'll be a comfortable win in the end.
Doeboy

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon May 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Yesterday was a disaster. Must win against Brighton. None of this rest one player. Play the strongest 11 and put the game to bed. We're staring at a real possibility of 5th and no silverware.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby only me » Mon May 07, 2018 6:16 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2018 2:42 pm wrote:
only me » Mon May 07, 2018 5:38 am wrote:Let's be positive ,we control our future and we aren't dependent on any other teams which is great.

With all due respect OM i don't think you've quite grasped how knackered our players are, they've gone mate, they are wiped out.
Since the start of April practically the same group of players played on the 4th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 21st, 24th, 28th, 2nd and 6th.
That's 9 games in a calendar month. We aren't talking about run of the mill games here either, we are talking about highly charged energy sapping champions league quarter finals and semi finals with fans greeting the coaches before the game and worldwide tv audiences running into the hundreds of millions if not billions, and that's without mentioning the Merseyside derby at Goodison park and an away trip to Stamford Bridge as well. The Goodison derby is Everton's biggest game of the year, it wasn't even our biggest game that week.
Our players aren't just physically drained they are mentally drained as well. Because of the demands of English football (no winter break etc) this stage of the season is tough anyway, even for clubs not in the CL, as Jurgen said yesterday we have 11 or 12 players who have played non-stop, they have run themselves to a standstill.
We've hit the wall mate, we haven't got the squad to be competing on 2 fronts but somehow the lads have managed to do it, god knows how, they are paying for it now though, they are out on their feet.

Mate I fully get your point but it's 2 more games in a 3 week period..physically they should be up to it...Mentally its a huge challenge but deep inside those guys know they will probably won't play a CL final ever again its now or never.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Only me - they are not up to it though mate!
Don't get me wrong pro players could play 2 games a day 365 days a year but it's intensity I'm talking about. Can you honestly see this group of players pressing and counterpressing like fv[ck], chasing players down, hunting the ball in packs, harrying teams into mistakes and capitalising on them?
Our squad on paper isn't actually that good, what makes us a formidable outfit is our system/philosophy, we become something greater than the sum of our individual parts.
We are not gegenpressing or playing as a unit though, we are playing as individuals, even the front 3 are doing their own thing, fatigue has kicked in big time and players are just trying their best to get through games.
I'm not trying to say that our players haven't got the energy to play, I'm saying our players haven't got the energy to play Klopp-ball, and without Klopp-ball we are just a collection of mostly ordinary individual players.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon May 07, 2018 7:24 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2018 5:32 pm wrote:Only me - they are not up to it though mate!
Don't get me wrong pro players could play 2 games a day 365 days a year but it's intensity I'm talking about. Can you honestly see this group of players pressing and counterpressing like fv[ck], chasing players down, hunting the ball in packs, harrying teams into mistakes and capitalising on them?
Our squad on paper isn't actually that good, what makes us a formidable outfit is our system/philosophy, we become something greater than the sum of our individual parts.
We are not gegenpressing or playing as a unit though, we are playing as individuals, even the front 3 are doing their own thing, fatigue has kicked in big time and players are just trying their best to get through games.
I'm not trying to say that our players haven't got the energy to play, I'm saying our players haven't got the energy to play Klopp-ball, and without Klopp-ball we are just a collection of mostly ordinary individual players.

Sorry mate i don't get it...We were good enough up to 2 weeks ago and now we are done? Mate the Roma bashing was 2 weeks ago! Since then we dropped points against Stoke where we played half shift with half a team and then you got the Roma game which we secured the result...So while i totally understand the metaphor of hitting a wall it all relies on the Chelsea game? I think you are a bit harsh...Klopp is indeed performing miracles with this limited and decimated group of players but hey it's the end..and we played superb just 2 weeks ago...We can still put a final effort...For 2 finals games of the season the same outfit which played Klopp-Ball against Roma can do it one final time.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2018 7:43 pm

only me » Mon May 07, 2018 6:24 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 07, 2018 5:32 pm wrote:Only me - they are not up to it though mate!

Sorry mate i don't get it...We were good enough up to 2 weeks ago and now we are done? Mate the Roma bashing was 2 weeks ago! Since then we dropped points against Stoke where we played half shift with half a team and then you got the Roma game which we secured the result...So while i totally understand the metaphor of hitting a wall it all relies on the Chelsea game? I think you are a bit harsh...Klopp is indeed performing miracles with this limited and decimated group of players but hey it's the end..and we played superb just 2 weeks ago...We can still put a final effort...For 2 finals games of the season the same outfit which played Klopp-Ball against Roma can do it one final time.

The game in Rome was probably the biggest game any of our players had played in up to that point and half of them could barely run, even Firmino spent half of that game walking around, 9 months of hard work was riding on yesterday's game and that was the same. Roma at home looks like it was the last hurrah mate.
The only saving grace is that we have got a full week before the Brighton game and then another fortnight before the CL final but as I said I'll be amazed if we see another all action gegenpressing type performance this season, physically i think we are done.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon May 07, 2018 9:54 pm

I think you are wrong Yakka, the CL final will get these players buzzing and they will put in one hell of a shift, the adrenaline alone will make sure of it. Now add our nutcase manager  :D who is due for a win and the passion he will instill in them, Real does not stand a chance. We have been preoccupied with the CL and now we are through, I cannot believe the players will will not be at their best. Real will attack us and we like to play those teams.

Klopp will have two weeks to concentrate on playing Real Madrid, they will be up for it.

My only worry is Madrid seem to have that ugly habit of winning when they don't deserve to, much like ManUre do. Funny ref decisions, own goals or just blind luck is how we will get unstuck if we do in my opinion but I don't think it will be because we did not show up. Emre Can could be fit and he may have a point to prove.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion