Race for Champs league spot

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:31 pm

I still think we can get 3rd and i hope we do. I know it don't make much of a difference but it is progression of some kind. It would be nice finishing 1 position higher than last season.

If City beat Spurs, we win our game and Spurs win their game in hand we will still be possibly ahead of them on goal difference.
Last edited by redshade on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:10 pm

Can't see us finishing third to be honest, the CL challenge will be too much for us, we simply don't have the strength in depth at the moment to challenge on all fronts, something I hope will be looked into in the summer.

Top 4 is more or less guaranteed as things stand anyway. No real difference if we finish third or fourth.

That being said, even though we'll finish below Man United and probably Tottenham, I think we're far more likely to challenge City for the title next season. Just need to be really smart in the summer transfer window.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:20 pm

damjan193 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:10 pm wrote:Can't see us finishing third to be honest, the CL challenge will be too much for us, we simply don't have the strength in depth at the moment to challenge on all fronts, something I hope will be looked into in the summer.

Top 4 is more or less guaranteed as things stand anyway. No real difference if we finish third or fourth.

That being said, even though we'll finish below Man United and probably Tottenham, I think we're far more likely to challenge City for the title next season. Just need to be really smart in the summer transfer window.

Think 2nd will be difficult now after Utd beat City yesterday. Utd have a pretty easy run in and don't see them dropping enough points to loosen their grip on 2nd. 3rd on the other hand is a straight scrap between us an spurs. It's 50/50 imo. Spurs only tough game is City at home next week while ours is v Chelsea away.

I think this summer could be another one where we see a lot of money is spent by the top 6 teams. Think the chasing pack will be looking to close the gap on City and I expect to see a lot of money spent in trying to achieve that. In isolation, we've had a great season in terms of the league but if you look at it taking other things into consideration, we are still 17 pts behind the leaders. Also Utd have still been ahead for the majority of the season and we haven't been able to shake off spurs in the league either even though they are not playing at their home ground. This shows their is still considerable work to do before we are capable to challenge for the league

I also expect Chelsea and Arsenal to respond next season after the ***** seasons they've had and no doubt they will be spending big after falling away so badly this year. I actually think next season could potentially be a tougher season than this year to be honest.

Nowadays, you have to strengthen the team/squad just to maintain your position in the top 4. If you want to challenge for the title, you have to go that extra mile imo and so far we haven't really seen that from FSG as we do have a tendency to balance the books somewhat so will be interesting to see how we get along with strengthening the squad in the summer.
Doeboy

Postby killerp » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:40 am

damjan193 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:10 pm wrote:...Top 4 is more or less guaranteed as things stand anyway.....

Been supporting this club long enough to know we will suffer a few shocks before the end. Arsenal, Chelsea are doing us massive favors with their form but still we can find a way, injuries mounting, our squad depth looks very thin, i'm going to keep my nurse on standby until May 15th....

39314.jpg
nurse
39314.jpg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 806 times
killerp

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:21 pm

killerp » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:40 am wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:10 pm wrote:...Top 4 is more or less guaranteed as things stand anyway.....

Been supporting this club long enough to know we will suffer a few shocks before the end. Arsenal, Chelsea are doing us massive favors with their form but still we can find a way, injuries mounting, our squad depth looks very thin, i'm going to keep my nurse on standby until May 15th....

39314.jpg

Does she do house calls  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:34 pm

We can afford to lose two of the last five games, so we are more or less there. Whether finishing 4th is a sign of progress remains to be seen.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:18 pm

2 successive seasons of Champions League football is definitely progress. Higher than 4th would be nice but as no English team will play the qualifier it makes no difference so I'd take 4th and have a good go at this year's competition. The league simply wasn't winnable.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:14 am

With all the focus on the city return leg and our derby, didnt know that chelsea drew with West Ham... :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:17 pm

We could get third, possibly, with Spurs to play Man City this weekend at Wembley. But it looks like second place is gone.....

To me it doesn't matter if we finish 4th or 3rd, it makes no real difference.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm

If we do progress in the Champs league then i feel we won't get 3rd. Our sqaud is thin and we struggle when we chop and change.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:08 pm

With city beating spurs, if we win our last four games we will finish third, as we have the better goal difference currently.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:50 pm

No difference in 3rd or 4th. Guarantee Champions League football and throw everything and trying to win it. Beat Stoke and I think that'll be enough. I expect Burnley to get something against Chelsea.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:38 am

Burnley are having a great season, I hope Danny Ings has the chance to go back there at the end of the season.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 am

Reg » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:38 am wrote:Burnley are having a great season, I hope Danny Ings has the chance to go back there at the end of the season.

All things considered Sean Dyche should probably be manager of the year, Burnley had the third lowest nett spend yet they are on the verge of qualifying for Europe. It's not as if Burnley are one of those clubs who have spent heavily for years and decided to have one quiet summer either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:25 pm

And United lose 1-0 to the bottom of the league haha .. things just keep getting better.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion