R.benitez : the valencia way - What do you expect from him.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mynameisred » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:23 am

It seems that everyone is concentrating on bringing in new players at the moment but what about our new man at the helm? They say a great manager can turn average players into winners and RB has the pedigree but what should we really expect from him? He has finished top in the first season of every club he has managed, structures his team from the back and wants to play quick, inventive football. Are we expecting to much of him already? Do we need to allow at least a season before he is judged? Is the team that kicks of the season really his? I have Spanish friends who alike him to Wenger so are we going top see big name players come in over the summer or youngsters with pedigree? (although I fear we have been there before)
Im gonna take it a step at a time, first of all I would like to see us playing more uptempo attacking footy especially at home and we have always been a strong side away. Raf HAS to turn Anfield into a fortress once again and we can let the sucess grow from there.
But what do others think, after all the money spent and heartbreak over the last few years and with Rafs history should we be challenging straight away if not what is acceptable to us fans?
For me the benchmark of his success at the end of the season is simply to be challenging not neccesarily to win the prem but to be closer to the top than bottom. Step one is to regain some of the respect we have lost, give Raf a seasons worth of experience and team buildind then the next year really challenge for that Title.
Or do people feel the talk of teambuilding over time and promising youngsters hark back to GH times and that we need to be challenging at the top and in Europe from week one of this season coming?
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:04 pm

All managers need some time to "sort " things at a new club. I'm sure the fans will give Rafa that (barring a disaster). The biggest problem could prove to be retaining the likes of Owen and Gerrard if the team fails to show substantial progress in the coming season. :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Jelly » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:31 pm

I expect much of Benitez. I think we are going to win all the ******. Premier League, liga cup, fa cup.. next year Champions league..
Jelly

Postby madred » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:42 pm

To be honest all i would expect in his first season is Liverpool to keep breathing down the necks of the so-called big three teams and play some decent attacking football that we have all been used to in the past! A cup in the cabinet would be great also!
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:53 pm

if rafa plays the same style of football at anfield as he did with valencia i think we are in for a treat this season. only real madrid scored more goals . :) :) :) :)
fritzylfc

Postby mynameisred » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:20 pm

Yeah I def agree to be honest as long as we are playing attractive football, challenging around the champs league spot and not 543 points behind the A.rse then Im gonna be a happy man. Dunno bout you lot but the depressing displays over the last two have ruined my sex life how can you think about THAT when our team seemed in such dire straights. So I guess that means the missus will be happy also !!!!!!!!!!!!
Im drooling at the prospect (of free flowing beautiful football as the opposition cowers in our wake at Anfield) you filthy lot.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:24 pm

I just hope we get some attractive footie like in the old days, our football has been 2D over the last couple of years and has lacked movement off the ball, I think that as long as were entertained the fans will cut him some slack in his first season.
Last edited by Paul C on Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:32 pm

Yeah man I want to wake up on Sunday mornings and read in the papers about the fantastic spanish matador stylee tactics takin the prem by storm, whilst smokin a phat one!! And reduce those mancs to also rans and the one horse team that they are. Some mates in London are telling me that we are signing Davids is this true I know theres a couple of threads about it on here but nowt concrete. I think he would be a class addition he would provide that burst of energy to link attack and defence and would certainly put a chill up some of the underachievers at the club.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:24 pm

mynameisred wrote:He has finished top in the first season of every club he has managed,

Wrong.
He got 2 teams relegated in lower Spanish leagues near the start of his club managing career and he was sacked.
He studied coaching in Italy and England, then from 1997 onwards the clubs he have managed have won their leagues in his first season there..
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:28 pm

Good record though.

Hope he can take all the ****** that he'll get from the English media.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:01 pm

Whoa there XSD I meant since then, well according to the bbc anyway
My Webpage
At least we know something about this guy and hes been working at the top unlike when GH first arrived.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:04 pm

He has got a very good record, perfectly suited for our situation I believe.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:41 pm

What do I expect.. he'll be great:)   and with the support of the palyers, fans and he'll lead LFC to the top sooner rather than later :)
Last edited by zarababe on Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:32 pm

Dunno bout you lot but the depressing displays over the last two have ruined my sex life how can you think about THAT when our team seemed in such dire straights.

Time to stock up on those contraceptives...Got a feeling Rafa and Cisse is gonna light up our season :p
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:36 pm

Santa wrote:Dunno bout you lot but the depressing displays over the last two have ruined my sex life how can you think about THAT when our team seemed in such dire straights.

i take it you voted for football in my "sex or football" poll then? :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion