Players outside the big 5 with quality. - Realistic targets.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:03 pm

Right theres alot of players in the premiership who could play in any of the top five sides. (IE Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd).

Alot of these players i feel Liverpool should have a serious look at. I'm only listing realistic targets and younger players mostly so i'm leaving out Rooney, Southgate, Ehiogu etc etc.

Strikers:

Keane
Kanoute
Phillips (even though he isn't getting any younger)
Beattie
Saha (my alternative to Cisse, also cheaper and would needs less time to adapt)

Midfielders:

Barry
Parker
Prutton
Malbranque
Fernandes
Dunn

Defenders:

Upson
Emerton
115-1073096938

Postby RedSi » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:18 pm

If Cisse's going to cost more than the £18m price tag put on Saha by Fulham the I'm even more worried about it than I was before.....  ???
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:19 pm

liverpool say cisse will cost them much less than 14 million.
columbia

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:42 pm

Hmmm interesting replies.

Talk about thread hijacking. lol :D

Nar i think Cisse will cost more like £11m-£12m.

Saha possibly about £8m to £10m.

I like Saha, quick, strong, good tecnically, good finisher, good balance and dribbling skills. Could be a "Henry type" player with a bit target man type game in there aswell. I think he's exactly what we need. Potentially a top class player imo. Still room for improvement at a bigger club with better players. :)

Finnan, Malbranque and Saha... hmmm

Why not. We'll av Sean Davis aswell for backup, might aswell take all their good players :p
115-1073096938

Postby RedSi » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:47 pm

It wasn't thread hijacking Stu, your initial posting claimed that Saha would be a cheaper option than Cisse and whilst in reality they they will accept significantly less, Fulham nonetheless priced him at £18mill - I was just having a bit of a giraffe....... :p
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:40 pm

i know and thats why i smiled. Chill. :)
115-1073096938

Postby coops » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:35 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Strikers:

Keane
Kanoute
Phillips (even though he isn't getting any younger)
Beattie
Saha (my alternative to Cisse, also cheaper and would needs less time to adapt)

Midfielders:

Barry
Parker
Prutton
Malbranque
Fernandes
Dunn

Defenders:

Upson
Emerton

I disagree with you on Kanoute, he's done nothing for Tottenham. Yes he has scored a few goals but he's a striker thats his job. Does that make him a Liverpool player? He looks average to me for 9 games out of 10 then plays one good game. Phillips is too old we would be taking a backward step. Baros is better. I'm unsure about Saha. He's scored goals but I still haven't seen anything in him that says 'he's class'. Baros looks a better prospect to me. Keane yes, Beattie, maybe. But would he settle as 'provider' for Owen? Is he the type to do that? I'm not sure.

Comments on mids later, gotta run.
coops

Postby ROBtheRED » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:22 am

We should have bid for Scott Parker in the summer, he's been outstanding this season and has gone from a £3-4m player to about a £10m player in a few months. He is quality.

I like the look of Upson as we desperately need central defensive cover but its unlikely Birmingham would sell him.

I've always been a fan of Robbie Keane and have always thought we should have gone for him when Leeds put him up for sale.

As for the others i think they are on par with what we already have.
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:19 pm

My two cents:

1. Juan Pablo Angell (best header of a ball in the Premiership - better even than Shearer IMO - but serious questions over mentality).

2. Dean Kiely: excellent keeper. Hugely under rated.

3. Scott Parker: hyped at the moment, looks a good player, but would he deliver at a big club.

4. Gazkia Mendietta: looks like he's recovering some of his Valencia form for Boro. On paper and given hsi past pedigree if he continues to improve he's arguably one of the top 7 or 8 players in the league.

5. Stuart (?) Downing: seen this guy on the wing for Boro (and Sunderland) this season and he looks special.

6. Steed Malbranque.

7. Wayne Rooney.

8. Jospeh Yobo.

Personally I doubt rate Phillips at all, and IMO Beattie would flop massively at a top five club.

You might add Viduka and Smith of Leeds but not on this season's form.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:39 pm

Upson is a good call, he has been a rock in Birmingham's defence, which makes it even more of a surprise they have leaked so many recently.

I'm not sure how much it would take to prise Saha from Fulham, but if Chelski step in then we don't have a prayer

I didn't think Emerton was a defender ?!?!?!?

Barry is a decent player and could play anywhere on the left, possibly in the middle. Would be a good left-footed version of Carragher but even more versatile

Dunn nothing, sums him up nicely

Beattie looks a decent striker who may be just short of top quality. He has looked very ordinary in an England shirt

Keane is too injury prone for my liking. He and Owen could well share the treatment room as much as the front-line!

Kiely I don't see as much better than what we've got

Rooney seems to have an attitude problem and reminds me of one or two we've had (Collymore anyone?)

Viduka is a good striker but I would hope we could do better. Perhaps Houllier has made us such an unattractive club to top players that we'd struggle to get better players and makes us uncompetitive in the big name transfer market. Maybe we could spend £5m on getting a top manager instead of going for Cisse and see how many top players we can get as a consequence
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:38 pm

Maybe the reason they have leaked so many is because Upson is injured :)

JBG i rate Kiely highly, i was going to set it out as a team but i changed my mind as we don't need more goalkeepers.

I agree about Downing looking a good prospect, he could become a really good player with the right coaching and the right introduction to the right system.

As for Rooney and Yobo, they're blueshite and i did mention why i hadn't said Rooney at the top.

Phillips? can't see how you don't rate him, technically superb, EXCELLENT link up player, good vision, good pace, generally good footballing brain. He'd thrive at one of the big sides as he currently seems to be lacking confidence infront of goal, we all know he can score goals. His alround play is superb.

Beattie, maybe not a top 5 player, but a good player and an  EXCELLENT goalscorer.

Emerton's best position is right back. He's a good right and central midfielder but he is a brilliant full back. Positionally very good, defends well in all area has superb stamina and strength. He's a great alround athlete with a good brain. IMO was the signing of the summer for £3m. He could play at any side in europe imo.

Dunn nothing? He's class. End of story. He's playing in a poor team. not trying to be funny, but you don't seem to be able to spot a good player outside the top 5 clubs from what you are saying. He has graet skill and excellent technique. He can spot a pass and plays with passion and commitment needed to make a top player. A move to Liverpool would suit him perfectly and he is a player we were linked with and one i would have been made up if we'd signed.
115-1073096938

Postby MickeyJoe » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:59 pm

What does anyone think of signing Solano who Newcastle have said they'll listen to offers for. We need a right sided midfielder. He's experienced in the Premiership. He'd prob be around 2-3 million which would be good value.
MickeyJoe

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:37 pm

He's not enough of an improvement on our current midfield though.

I'd rather see a hard working Danny Murphy who plays with his heart on his sleeve than Solano. I do think Solano is a good player but like i said. I'd rather have Danny.

He'd also want garenteed first team football.

We need to improve the weakest area's of the team and do it now. We need a pacey centre half who can play the ball out from the back and has to be better than Stephane Henchoz and we need a class striker first and foremost.
115-1073096938

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion