PHILIPPE COUTINHO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:10 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:59 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm wrote:If he stays as long as these and does the business then I will be happy

:laugh:

Of course you will, with a smile on your dial you'll maybe even drive him to the airport as he heads for Spain.

:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Octsky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:32 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 pm wrote:
eds » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 am wrote:FFS why has this guy not been signed yet?

If we somehow manage NOT to get him, heads surely need to roll.

Starting with Ayre and Werner. F**king useless.......  :no

You are f*cking useless aren't you?

Do some research for once.

Coutinho needs a work permit but as he has only played once for his national side he is not eligible for one, therefore the club have to make a special application to the home office. Which takes time.

Clueless idiot.

calm down a bit, judy.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby babu » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:48 pm

Jeezuz Babu, you sound as though you've never heard of a young player building his reputation at one club before moving on to a more successful club.

Here's a couple you might have heard of.

Marco Van Basten joined Ajax aged 17, left aged 23 to join AC Milan

Zinedine Zidane joined Bordeaux aged 20 left aged 24 to join Juventus

Frank Lampard joined West Ham aged 16 left aged 23 to join Chelsea

Didier Drogba joined Le Mans aged 19 left aged 24 for a year at Giungamp (?) a year at Marsielles and then onto to Chelsea

The point I'm trying to make is that if Coutinho is that good who could be a "massive" player for us unless we as a club are performing along with the elite we'll find it hard to hang on to him or other special players.

I wasn't clear sorry, what I meant was when has that happened to us?

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Mascherano joined when he was a Twenty three year old reject from west ham left us at 26 to join Barcelona

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am

Octsky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:32 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 pm wrote:
eds » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 am wrote:FFS why has this guy not been signed yet?

If we somehow manage NOT to get him, heads surely need to roll.

Starting with Ayre and Werner. F**king useless.......  :no

You are f*cking useless aren't you?

Do some research for once.

Coutinho needs a work permit but as he has only played once for his national side he is not eligible for one, therefore the club have to make a special application to the home office. Which takes time.

Clueless idiot.

calm down a bit, judy.

That's alright Octsky I have given it as much as I have receive, so not really concerned with this idiot's comments.

In relation to my post I was actually having a whinge on how slow we were to move on ALL players in general, I think a valid point is how we missed out on Dempsey last transfer window (not that I really care whether we signed him or not) and I felt the Coutinho signing could be another farce waiting to happen. Especially with other clubs starting to sniff around. Yes, I am fully aware of permits required and the delay generally with foreign players but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I find it very funny that a member of the league of morons can mis-interpret this and blow his load early.  :laugh:

Anyways Coutinho is here now and as I mentioned earlier really excited that we have captured someone with some real talent. Let's just hope he knuckles down and puts it to use.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:47 pm

babu » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:48 am wrote:

Jeezuz Babu, you sound as though you've never heard of a young player building his reputation at one club before moving on to a more successful club.

Didier Drogba joined Le Mans aged 19 left aged 24 for a year at Giungamp (?) a year at Marsielles and then onto to Chelsea

The point I'm trying to make is that if Coutinho is that good who could be a "massive" player for us unless we as a club are performing along with the elite we'll find it hard to hang on to him or other special players.

You might recall a certain Michael Owen ? came up through the youth system left us age 24 to join Real Madrid   :p

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby babu » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:09 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 am wrote:
babu » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:48 am wrote:

You might recall a certain Michael Owen ? came up through the youth system left us age 24 to join Real Madrid   :p

ok but I don't remember him struggling too badly once he made it into the first team. I don't remember the team having to carry him for a few years before he came good. In fact, I think he had his best years in a league with us. His departure was premature, no doubt.

edit: apologies for off topic posting

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:24 pm

LFC1990 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm wrote:Mascherano joined when he was a Twenty three year old reject from west ham left us at 26 to join Barcelona

Good point, people forget that.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:43 am

Not sure about this kid... how much better is he than sterling and suso? Yes he's got dribbling skills. Yes he's quick and all that but his passing and shooting doesn't seem to be anything special. And for those of you who are saying he plays like ronaldo, he is nowhere near grease ball's level I'm afriad. Then there's the thing about if he's really the nex5 brazillian starlet why did inter let go of him?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:59 am

maguskwt » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:43 am wrote: if he's really the nex5 brazillian starlet why did inter let go of him?

From BBC Sport

Andrea Ramazzotti,  who covers Inter for Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport and has watched all Coutinho's 28 games for the club, told BBC Sport: "He just didn't show his potential in Milan.

"Coutinho played very well when he was on loan at Espanyol last season and started well for Inter this season, but they were only brief spells really.

"For the rest of the time, he just showed flashes of his potential and I fear the way of playing in England, which can be very physical, will not suit him because he has a slight frame."

That this is a player of rare talent, though, seems beyond question. The diminutive Brazilian is an excellent dribbler, combining close control with pace and trickery.

He also has finishing ability and can take a mean free-kick.

Coutinho joined Inter from Vasco da Gama for 4m euros (£3.4m) in 2008, when he was 16 and one of the most coveted young players in world football. The Serie A side immediately loaned him back to Vasco, because foreigners are prohibited from playing professional football in Italy until they are 18.

He returned in the summer of 2010 and quickly established himself as a favourite of new manager Benitez, featuring in 14 league and Champions League games before Christmas, most often as a wide attacker in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Unfortunately for the player, Benitez was sacked in December and his successor, Leonardo, was not anywhere near as big a fan of the young Brazilian. He played only four more games that season, although he did finish on a high by winning the Fifa under-20 World Cup with Brazil in the summer.

New manager Claudio Ranieri sent Coutinho on loan to struggling Spanish side Espanyol for the second half of the following season. He impressed, scoring five goals in 16 appearances.

This was when Liverpool first showed an interest in the player. Benitez had told their director of football, Damian Comolli, that Coutinho was the best young player at Inter and capable of being a big success in the Premier League.

Inter had yet another new manager, Andrea Stramaccioni, by this time, though, their sixth during Coutinho's time at the club, and he wanted to keep the player, so Inter rebuffed Liverpool's offer.

Stramaccioni's faith looked like being repaid as Coutinho was player of the tournament in the pre-season Trofeo TIM tournament  , when Inter beat AC Milan and Juventus in an impressive start to the season.

Everything looked promising until the player suffered a stress fracture of the tibia  at the end of October. Fredy Guarin  took his place and has remained in the side ever since.

This all made Liverpool's offer too good to refuse, as Branca decided to cash in on Coutinho's largely unfulfilled promise.

It will be fascinating to see whether the player can now finally reach his potential with Liverpool, or simply remain a great hope.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:02 pm

i think we have no other choice but to gamble on these types of signings especially now that we are not going to compete in the transfer market for the big names.
this lad was very highly rated and was talked about in the same breath as the likes of ronaldinho and kaka when he was coming through the ranks in south america so if he does fulfill his potential here we could have one of the best players in the world on our hands.
obviously because he is so slight there is a bit of a worry that he will just get over powered when we come up against the likes of stoke, everton, west ham etc but on the other hand at 20 he is still learning the game and not set in his ways so he may adapt to the physicality of the league.
what ever happens i`m glad we signed someone with this much potential, if it doesnt work out then so be it, i certainly wont criticise rodgers for aiming high.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:05 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:02 pm wrote:i think we have no other choice but to gamble on these types of signings especially now that we are not going to compete in the transfer market for the big names.
this lad was very highly rated and was talked about in the same breath as the likes of ronaldinho and kaka when he was coming through the ranks in south america so if he does fulfill his potential here we could have one of the best players in the world on our hands.
obviously because he is so slight there is a bit of a worry that he will just get over powered when we come up against the likes of stoke, everton, west ham etc but on the other hand at 20 he is still learning the game and not set in his ways so he may adapt to the physicality of the league.
what ever happens i`m glad we signed someone with this much potential, if it doesnt work out then so be it, i certainly wont criticise rodgers for aiming high.

Yeah, hopefully he can turn out to be another Juninho (played for Middlesboro') who although less than 5ft 6" was chock full of skill.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:43 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:05 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:02 pm wrote:i think we have no other choice but to gamble on these types of signings especially now that we are not going to compete in the transfer market for the big names.

Yeah, hopefully he can turn out to be another Juninho (played for Middlesboro') who although less than 5ft 6" was chock full of skill.

From the youtube clip I saw he seems to have thick legs more like Aguero than say David Silva who is slight. I do not think his body will be a problem, it will probably depend on whether he likes the food  :grinning:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 am

woof woof ! » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:05 pm wrote:

:nod absolutely he was a deadly little player. scored some fantastic goals also.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Entourage » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:54 pm

A certain Xabi Alonso joined when he was 23 and left when he was 28 to join the biggest club in the World..
Entourage
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion