PHILIPPE COUTINHO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Seems to have an understanding with Suarez which works well along with Enrique

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:14 am

really impressed with him, as he looks superb, and he's not even match fit yet.

A bit of weight, and a good -pre-season will seem him develop a lot.  Looks a bargain for 8 million
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedHands » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Top player. Has great vision and technique. We need more South Americans.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 am

RedHands » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 pm wrote:Top player. Has great vision and technique. We need more South Americans.

The new Pope?
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby eds » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:38 am

7_Kewell » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 pm wrote:really impressed with him, as he looks superb, and he's not even match fit yet.

A bit of weight, and a good -pre-season will seem him develop a lot.  Looks a bargain for 8 million

Why does he need to put on a bit of weight?  ???
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:48 pm

He needs to bulk up a little as he gets knocked off the ball too easily.

Im not talking Jan mobly type of bulk, just a bit more muscle to hold people off.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:07 am

7_Kewell » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 pm wrote:He needs to bulk up a little as he gets knocked off the ball too easily.

Im not talking Jan mobly type of bulk, just a bit more muscle to hold people off.

And lose the blistering speed he can attack and dribble with?  ???

No thanks.

I don't understand this Anglo mentality of "putting on weight", its pure and utter nonsense.

Messi has always been dimunitive but never had a problem with his "frame" and never will.

You need to understand that this lad is in the same boat as most South Americans who are small but use their skill and speed to compensate for this.

Thats just the way it is.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:11 am

eds » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:07 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 pm wrote:He needs to bulk up a little as he gets knocked off the ball too easily.

No thanks.

I don't understand this Anglo mentality of "putting on weight", its pure and utter nonsense.

Messi has always been dimunitive but never had a problem with his "frame" and never will.

You need to understand that this lad is in the same boat as most South Americans who are small but use their skill and speed to compensate for this.

He won't lose anything...Ronaldo added some muscle to his frame and is now one of the world's best players.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 am

7_Kewell » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:11 pm wrote:

No thanks.

He won't lose anything...Ronaldo added some muscle to his frame and is now one of the world's best players.

At 20 Coutinho's unlikely to grow any taller but his physical strength will continue to naturally develop up until his late 20's - early 30's.

I'm not convinced that adding some bulk will necessarily improve or hinder Coutinho's  game, imo what will make a significant difference to his game will be the rate at which he adjusts to the pace of the  premiership.  Like many players new to the prem despite being aware of it he's already expressed his surprise at just how quick it is compared to other leagues.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:26 am

He doesn't need to "bulk" - just needs to adjust and use his body in a way to protect the ball - exactly what Messi does and players like Silva and Carzola etc do.
Benny The Noon

Postby JC_81 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:12 am

He looks more of a Silva than he does a Messi or Cazorla.

Like Coutinho, Silva is quite lightweight but Messi and Cazorla are quite stocky and I reckon deceptively strong, Messi especially, players go in to snap him and end up bouncing off him.

I don't think Coutinho needs to bulk up massively, but a bit of gym time wouldn't hurt.  It does help with the defensive side of the game in premier league midfield skirmishes if players can mix it a bit.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:06 pm

He's stocky enough to hold his own in this league IMO. After seeing him barge Dembele I think it was and throwing what weight he did have around, I think he'll be fine. He also posses a low center of gravity, coupled with his skill set, he'll be awkward for defenders to tackle without giving away free kicks.

What's impressed me about him too, is his work rate - to get back and help out his defense.

This kid looks the real deal.  :)
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Kenny Kan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:06 am wrote:
This kid looks the real deal.  :)

:nod

I find myself almost purring when watching this lad on the ball, he's as smooth as silk and has shown composure and creativity far in advance what you'd normally expect from a player of his age. Don't want to get carried away but on his few performances so far I think we could be looking at a top top player in the making, that's how much he's impressed me.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:49 pm

He has the tenacity and work rate which is more important than hitting the gym. He certainly shouldn’t be “bulking” but adding a bit of lean muscle and strengthening his core wouldn’t hurt. This will prove to be a useful little bedding in period and next season we’ll see how he copes when players know all about him.

But I’m excited about him and think he has the potential to be a massive player for us.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:21 am

7_Kewell » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:11 pm wrote:

No thanks.

Ronaldo is a good 15-16cm taller than Coutinho, so I don't know why you are using him as an example.  ???

The other thing is that we all saw Ronaldo play literally as a kid in England, he obviously has physically developed considerably as the years have gone by but to say this is the main reason why he now one of the world's best is nonsense.

The thing that stands him out alongside Messi is their crazy ball control, low center of gravity, speed, skill and lower body strength.  All the "bulk" in the world won't make a difference if you don't have these things.

I think Coutinho has an excellent opportunity to become a world class player and whether he puts on some more muscle really won't matter that much, as most people think it will.

eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion