Owen threatens to go! (official)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:50 pm

Yes, its now true.

When asked whether he would follow Steven Gerrard and sign a new contract, Michael Owen yesterday told the press that he will not sign a contract this season.

He said that while he enjoys it at Liverpool, he feels that he needs to being playing against the top players in the world (nothing new about that).

He said that if Liverpool were winning the league on a regular basis he would entertain no thoughts about moving.

However, he said that if Liverpool failed to win the league this year (## ##, even Owen is slightly deluded here :laugh: ) or at least qualify for the Champions League, he will seriously consider about moving abroad in the summer. :(  :(

I think that might focus the board's mind....it could indirectly lead to Houllier being sacked.

Think about it.

If Liverpool fail to qualify for the Champions League and Owen announces that he will sit on his contract and leave on a Bosman (worse case scenario), the board could face losing out on a potential £30million plus in transfer fees, panic, and sack Houllier.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby redandblue » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:03 pm

Yep, he's on his way. Even if Liverpool secure fourth spot and keep Houllier in a job for another year, Owen knows that we would get knocked out early. He is rich, ambitious and now wants to be competing at the highest levels. Playing in the UEFA Cup and winning the Worthington Cup is not the height of his ambitions!!

This may finally focus Moores and Parry in doing something about GH. He is worth perhaps more than the £30m that you mentioned and indeed could end up going for free.

But Owen is doing the right thing. Why hang around at mediocre Anfield surrounded by mediocre players and a management team which gives up on the title after 12 games. He should be competing against Europe's finest. He's in the wrong team. Thank you Michael for everything, you have been magnificent. All the very best to you and we hope that you win Europe's top awards because you ain't going to get them by hanging around Anfield.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Foolsy's lad » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:25 pm

I agree 100%. Hopefully this might make the board sit up and take notice of whats going on around them. I for one wouldnt blame Michael for leaving. I wonder though whether he's lost faith in Houllier. Has anyone noticed how hes kept quiet lately and not backed the manager up when hes spoken about his future. Nows the time for us fans to make our voices heard at the games whether we win, lose or draw. Who would you rather see on the team photo for next season, Owen or Houllier?
Foolsy's lad

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:36 pm

I also agree that Owen would make a wise decision to leave Liverpool.

I would hate to see that happening, but Liverpool and its fans would have to understand his position.

He has saved us many times with his goals, especially in the 2001 FA Cup final when we were dead and buried until Owen struck.

He also had to suffer the indignity of not getting a minute on the field in Cardiff in the League Cup final against Birmingham.

Owen deserves to play against the very best, and given his talent he wants to win the league and the champions league.

That is not going to happen under Houllier.

I hope he doesn't go to Chelsea, although he hinted yesterday that it could be abroad.

I also have a sneaking feeling that he has lost faith in Houllier. In fact, very few players have come out and spoken up for Houlier, which is unusual, as players usually speak in support of a manager if he is struggling.

Things are not right at Anfield.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Neo# » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:44 pm

Id imagine Owen will be Real Madrid's next target or Barcelona's. I never thought this could happen. It was always something that happened to other clubs, not Liverpool. When Beckham went in the summer I thought that could not happen at Liverpool. Players dont leave Liverpool. They normally dont want to. But things are changing. I wonder if Kewell is thinking that he made a mistake not going to UTD.
Neo#

Postby LiverpoolFC_Kopite » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:47 pm

Who can afford the $30 million for him look at the contenders;

Barcalona - in a lot of debt aren't after not securing CL footie this season.

Real Madrid - obvious choice, big name players, lots of money, even though they are in a lot of debt, could he even secure a starting place with the likes of Raul, Ronaldo & Portillo?

Man Utd - United I here you cry! Rednose looking to buy another world class striker, promise of CL footie, team at the top, even though it would be a unforgivable sin.

Chelsea - they buy anyone, team on the up, lucrative deal,
might find it hard to fit in.

I think we need to defintely get that 4th spot or else we are doomed, I'd hate to see Owen go but we have to face reality and either sell him now for a hefty sum or dig are heels in and keep him till the end and forfeit a large sum of money that could get us another two excellent strikers that could replace the Heskey/Owen combination.
LiverpoolFC_Kopite

Postby Owzat » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:55 pm

He is still young and could hold on for at least another season or two after this.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:33 pm

it would be tragic to lose owen while he is still so young.He could stay for another four years and still have a similar transfer value.that t#s#er beckham was worth more at 28 then he was at 24 yet his club had managed to get the best  part of his career from him.everything possible must be done to get him to sign.No top club would allow a star like owen to leave at such a young age.Trust me we will be an even bigger laughing stock if this happens.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:49 pm

Guys I'm sorry to say this but if Owen wants to go then let him go in January.  £30 million is on the table from Barca.  As much as I applaud Owen for his views he should not be dictating to the manager or club.

Someone here got it right when they said the onus is on the fans, especially those who track to Anfield every fortnight.  If Micheal is not focused on playing for the team then we diffinetly have got major problems.  However he has a long career ahead of him and should not be making enemies for himself.  My advice to Micheal is say nothing and let your football do the talking.  My advice to the fans is

Let the board hear you loud and clear
" we don't want the french prat here"

please leave Mr Houlier
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:17 pm

Owen will not join Barcelona or Inter Milan for the same reason why David Beckham turned them down. Why should Owen leave Liverpool for another underachieving club?

The only teams he might consider would be:

1. Real Madrid
2. Juventus
3. Milan
4. Bayern Munich (couldn't afford his transfer)
5. Chelsea
6. Man UTD (although Liverpool would never sell him to Man UTD).
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:48 pm

Bottom line is we SHOULD NOT sell Owen to another English club. If he teams up with Henry, Van Nistelrooy or any of the big names then they will become twice as deadly. Selling him to Real Madrid for anything over £30m has to be tempting but I'd like to see how he fits in with a new manager first
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:57 pm

Liverpool released a statement yesterday trying to water down Owen's comments. They said that his interview with Shoot was taken out of context and that Owen wasn't leaving.

I think that's mere wishful thinking.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby THEBARON » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:26 pm

This news could be the wake up call that our indecisive and out of touch board need.. If we continue with Houllier then we certainly won't be challenging for the title and even a top 4 finish looks unlikely. Owen is young and ambitious. If Houliier stays then "micky mouse" cup wins and failure to qualify for the premier european competition are hardly inducements to stay. He's been at Anfield longer than a lot already and will want to win the top trophies available at club level. If we bring in a new man at the top with fresh ideas , new faces and an upsurge in our form ..then who knows he may stay and try and get as many goals as Rushie. If Houllier stays then Owen may well say au revoir.
Are you listening messrs Moores & Parry?
Probably  { not }
THEBARON

Postby Red » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:43 am

The only club I could see owen going to is Real Madrid. The advantages of that club for Owen are; almost certain Champions league every year and have a good chance of winning, able to play with another Pom, in Beckham, at a big foreign club.

The Negatives; not living in England, having to worry about his position in the starting line up. In a team that boasts the players Real Madrid has, Owen's spot is not assured.
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:54 am

Owen will go to Real Madrid after the Euro 2004 final,much to the shock/horror of the Liverpool fans but not Liverpool as the deal would have been done well before.His stay in Spain will be a total disaster and he will return to these shores a european failure,but not to Liverpool...no,he will sign for Chelsea.
     There you go a vision into the future as seen by me in the crystal ball.
                                              spooky :ghostface:
Last edited by supersub on Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion