Baros | owen - Guess this means owen isnt coming.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Chelsea forever. » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:37 am

Rafael Benitez has warned Milan Baros he may be about to make him ineligible for any other club in European football this season.

The Liverpool manager is considering using Baros - the subject of a summer of transfer speculation - in the first leg of their Champions League third qualifying round tie against CSKA Sofia.

With the prospect of a move to Lyon or Monaco on the cards, many felt this was just a case of Benitez bluffing to get the £7million price he wants for the Czech star.

But Benitez said on the eve of the match: "I hope Milan is ready, the last game he played was the friendly against Olympiakos and he played well and scored two goals. He is playing well and I have talked with him.

"But he is a good professional and you must not forget that when we signed (Fernando) Morientes last season he could not play in the Champions League.

"If you want a player you know he can play 40 games and maybe there are 10 Champions League games and it is not so important that he plays in every game."

If Baros plays against the Bulgarians, he will not be able to play for any other club in a UEFA competition this season.

But Benitez insists that Baros is available for selection and in the right frame of mind to play if called upon.

He said: "Milan is our player and I would have no problem in playing him. When he has played previously this summer he has done very well.

"I have talked with him about the situation as it stands at this moment and he fully understands.

"We also have Djibril Cisse and Morientes to use so there may be no reason to call on Milan. But if I have to then I know he will not let this club down."

Asked by the Bulgarian media about where he thought Michael Owen might be playing his football next season, Benitez joked: "I am not sure, but he definitely won't be playing for us against CSKA!"

Various board members, approached about claims that they have persuaded Benitez to try to re-sign Owen, all insisted the suggestion was nonsense.

Liverpool and Benitez have to concentrate on this vital, and difficult, tie before any talk of further transfers in or out of Anfield.

They have scored 22 goals in seven matches so far this pre-season and defender John Arne Riise spoke for the rest of the team by insisting everyone is confident.

He said: "We know a lot about CSKA now and know they are a strong team, a good team, so it is going to be tough but we are high on confidence that we can get some goals and win.

"We might be favourites but we still have to win the game. I don't think it matters that much having the second leg at Anfield but of course it is always good to finish a tie at home in front of our own supporters.

"We hope to get a good result in Bulgaria and bring them back to Anfield and finish off the tie. It will be a tough couple of games but we are very confident we can get through.

"There have been some important games during the pre-season and we have scored a lot of goals and kept some clean sheets as well which is good for the confidence.

"I think the main thing is we are scoring goals. It helps if more players score goals and Steven Gerrard has scored a lot of goals already so it's looking good for us."

Liverpool arrived here with Benitez still fuming over the refusal of the Government to grant Chilean winger Mark Gonzalez a work permit.

Liverpool are still considering their options, but may now wait until the next transfer window before making another appeal. But Gonzalez is still confident he will become a Liverpool player.

He said: "I know that sooner or later I will be playing at Liverpool. I am sure this will be resolved. I am staying calm about this. It was something we feared."
Chelsea forever.

Postby Chelsea forever. » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:43 am

I cant imagine Milan would be willing to get cuptied if he is leaving Liverpool, Unless he wants to joing a side playing only League football.
Chelsea forever.

Postby laza » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:53 am

Conspriacy theorists will probably say that Rafa is happy to keep Milan here for another season rather then bring back Owen and thats reasoning behind the decision :D
As for me i would have thought the situation with Milan is fairly untenable and would rather see him be as worth as much as he can to us
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC_fan » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:21 am

nah, rafa definitely will not play baros in the cska game.
Not sure about Owen but quite sure Rafa wants to sell Baros and he'll wait till at least the transfer window closes at the end of the month b4 he makes any decisions that will make baro's value drop.
LFC_fan

Postby Judge » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:32 am

if shalke offered 7 million, then baros would be off, but i dont think the germans have that kind of money in the kitty, or they are trying to twist lfc into selling him cheap
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:58 am

Apparently Villa are still lurking in the shadows for Baros, if this is the case and Baros is considering the move. Then Cup-tieing him isn't a problem. Think of it as a farewell gift
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Arren » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:48 am

although i think baros is leaving liverpool (the champions) i dont want him to
Arren

Postby Paul C » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:53 am

Arren wrote:although i think baros is leaving liverpool (the champions) i dont want him to

Why?  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:55 pm

I'm not sure why Schalke would not come up with the benjamins. I read somewhere that they are the second richest club in Germany and would have an income on a par with the likes of Tottenham.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion