Overrated players... - ...alonso?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:32 pm

Sabre wrote:
The only big problem for me is the fact that he hasnt been able to use the money to strengthen the other weak areas.

Yeah I think we all agree that.

And that's frustrating both for the Rafa  loves and Bashers,  because if someone else comes to manage this club, I don't think he'll get the money Rafa hasn't , not at least under the same american cúnts. That's the most worrying thing of all. :(

feck me I've spun this bit round a couple of times and I can't decide what you mean Sabes  :D .
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:36 pm

What I mean is that cúnts are predictable around the world, and I think Rafa's job is at peril (that's just me) because these two may sáck Rafa if things go pear shaped in December.

But when some other manager comes to replace him, even if he's Mou, he won't have at his disposal money either. So he'll have to be a magician rather than a manager in order to keep us challenging for the league.

I don't know if that made sense either, but I tried :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:40 pm

LFC2007 wrote:You've basically spoiled the thread with that GYBS. I'm not coming in here anymore.

Awwww diddums

Do you want a hug ??  :veryangry
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby puroresu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Many Real Madrid fans would say Zidane was the most important player which he was.  However once Makalele went out the side it was a whole lot harder for Zidane to win the game for Madrid. Alonso was not overrated.  We have lost a brilliant player and in his place with have a fraud from Brazil.
puroresu

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:29 pm

puroresu wrote:Many Real Madrid fans would say Zidane was the most important player which he was.  However once Makalele went out the side it was a whole lot harder for Zidane to win the game for Madrid. Alonso was not overrated.  We have lost a brilliant player and in his place with have a fraud from Brazil.

One of the first compliments i have ever see you make about a liverpool player....but oh wait you waited for Xabi to go before he was classed as brilliant.

Surprise surprise  :sleep
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby sgs » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:37 pm

Alonso was'nt overrated, but his importance to Liverpool has been strangely elevated to almost mythical proportions. I for one believed that Barry would've provided more from CM for Liverpool last season.
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby puroresu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
puroresu wrote:Many Real Madrid fans would say Zidane was the most important player which he was.  However once Makalele went out the side it was a whole lot harder for Zidane to win the game for Madrid. Alonso was not overrated.  We have lost a brilliant player and in his place with have a fraud from Brazil.

One of the first compliments i have ever see you make about a liverpool player....but oh wait you waited for Xabi to go before he was classed as brilliant.

I always thought Alonso was class and unlike many thought it pure madness that our Manager thought Barry was a better option.
puroresu

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:00 pm

puroresu wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:

I always thought Alonso was class and unlike many thought it pure madness that our Manager thought Barry was a better option.

Who said he thought Barry was a better option ?

Maybe initially he thought he could get Barry cheaper than the crazy prices we were being quoted and and thought he could sell Alonso for more money and have some left over to put towards another player ?
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:00 pm

N'gog....overated....Lucas well overated.....Babel overated......voronin :censored:!....There, that clears that up!. :nod
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:03 pm

GYBS wrote:
john craig wrote:
GYBS wrote:Image

Just put me off my dinner with that picture, cheers GYBS :)

sorry mate  :D

Even better, the mrs has just legged it to the toilet gagging when sh saw it!!!! :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ElJefe » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:26 am

sgs wrote:Alonso was'nt overrated, but his importance to Liverpool has been strangely elevated to almost mythical proportions. I for one believed that Barry would've provided more from CM for Liverpool last season.

I agree but not because Barry was a better player (he isn't), but because he was a different player.  A player more suited to how you need to play to win this league.

I think Rafa finally worked out two holding midfielders is pointless in 90% of games and now even though Aquilani may not be as good as Xabi I think a CM group with two holding players and an attacking midfielder is gonna be better than a higher quality group of three holding midfielders.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out and how the media story and perspective slowly changes.
Last edited by ElJefe on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElJefe

Postby Scottbot » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:30 am

john craig wrote:Every newspaper you read and every pundit you are forced to listen to these days seem to make reference to Alonso's departure as the main reason for our poor start this season.  While I agree that the midfield is a problem at the moment, that has as much to do with Mascherano underperforming and Lucas blatantly not being up to it (never has been) as it has to do with Alonso's sale.

I think some balance has to be brought to this debate as it's starting to irritate me a bit.  Firstly, Alonso wanted to go and we got a pretty good price for him if we're honest.  I heard one 'respected journalist' (not by me though) on Sky's sunday supplement over the weekend saying we 'shouldn't have taken 30 million for him' and 'he was Liverpool's most important player'!!  Absolute sh.ite.  This is the same media that have digs every time we win saying that we are overly reliant on Gerrard, then Gerrard and Torres.  I can't remember any one (pundit, journalist, ex-player etc) saying that Alonso was our most important player, or most influential player last season until after he had left.  Why were the papaers not saying last season that we were overly reliant on Alonso then??

What I'll say next will undoubtedly upset a few folk on here, but imo Alonso is an overrated player.  Overrated by Madrid who paid too much, overrated by the media (in HINDSIGHT only) and overrated by our own fans, who seem to have forgotten that he was distinctly average for two entire seasons before he got a kick up the backside last season and then produced a bit of form.  He is still a quality player no doubt, but lets get it into perspective.  His style never won everyone over.  There were always fans who wished he'd get forward more or contribute more in terms of goals and assists.  There were always those who thought he sat too deep and that it hindered our attacking play.  But suddenly all that is forgotten and his departure is the reason we will be fighting to scrape into the top 4 rather than challenge the title??  No way.

His loss is felt mainly because there are no decent backup midfielders in the squad, at least until Aquilani is fit.  Let's judge how big a loss Alonso really is after we've had a chance to assess his replacement.  In the meantime we just need to knuckle down and dig out the wins we need to keep us in the running.

You're deffo right about the lazy journalists and dumb as fook ex-player/pundits who claim we should have kept Alonso at the club as if their was any choice. I agree that the fans have also gone a bit OTT (meself included) with rants about how much we're missing him. I think most of us forget that their were times last season when our performances (not the results) were almost as cumbersome and awkward (with Xabi in the team) as those we've witnessed this season.

Of course it all comes back to Xabi's replacement and the current make-up of our midfield. I still can't fathom why we didn't go out and get an insurance policy incase Aquillani doesn't cut it. A Danny Murphy or Niko Kranjar would have done nicely.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:30 am

sgs wrote:Alonso was'nt overrated, but his importance to Liverpool has been strangely elevated to almost mythical proportions. I for one believed that Barry would've provided more from CM for Liverpool last season.

but that's just what you think... :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:32 am

ElJefe wrote:I think Rafa finally worked out two holding midfielders is pointless in 90% of games and now even though Aquilani may not be as good as Xabi I think a CM group with two holding players and an attacking midfielder is gonna be better than a higher quality group of three holding midfielders.

I agree and that makes it all the more perplexing to see the manager persist with the current Masch- Lucas partnership.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:52 am

Alonso was definitely not overrated... I've said this before Alonso was the key to making the 4-5-1 formation work and maximises the potential of the Gerrard/Torres partnership. A person with a lack of vision and passing ability will just make this formation fail.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion