John arne riise - overrated or underrated ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby weaverlfc » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:20 pm

I see Riise as one of Liverpool’s best players over the last 4 years, he’s scored important goals, put in great performances both at left bk, and left mid. I am always disappointed when I don’t see Riise’s name  in the starting line up.

The reason ive posted this topic, is because in one of the other threads, the following comments were made about riise

“ The most 1 dimensional player ever” 

“ he can only run in a straight line”

“has a lack of talent and intelligence”

“ Riise cant dribble past a player if his life depended on it”.

Would just like to know what the general view on Riise is….
weaverlfc

Postby Paul C » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:35 pm

To be fair the lad is a defender but does a good job in midfield, yeah ok he doesn't run at people but to say he has a lack of intelligence and talent would be far from the truth.

I think the lad is a very good player and has been solid for us apart from the last season under Houllier where he got frozen out, Rafa has given him confidence which shows on the field :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:02 pm

hes a player who tries hard and is one of our better players.at LB orLM he always puts in a solid performance.Hes our best left sided player at the moment and him and warnock could make a gd partnership.
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:10 pm

many people's idea of a good wide midfielder are now based on the likes of robben, duff, swp, christian ronaldo etc. these are flair players who can go past someone and prance about about with some fancy trickery, get a shot in or deliver a killer cross. but there are only a very few special players like this and i consider all the above to be special players.

riise on the other hand is in an entirely different category and if i was offered a swap - him for one of the above - i would bite your hand off. but don't get me wrong, i think riise is an excellent player and last season was one of our best performers. he has the fiercest shot i've seen since a long time ago and is a decent crosser of the ball, though i'd love it if he could get behind the defence a bit more often.

it seems that he's now a man caught between two positions. rafa obviously doesn't see him as our natural left winger or even as our first choice left back and he's reduced to a bit part role. to me its already having an impact on his confidence and he's not currently playing at the level we know he can.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gary106 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:11 pm

agreed with whats just been said

he's solid reliable and confident now aswel. he may not have the flare or skills etc but he is consistant
gary106

Postby NCRedFan7 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:20 pm

I respect his hustle more than anything else.  He gets out there and gives you a solid effort.....unlike some players occasionally *cough*CISSE*cough*.

-NCRedFan7
NCRedFan7

Postby murphy0151 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:40 pm

I think hes shiteee.   

Cant defend, cant cross hes poo pie.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Wiley » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:42 pm

Murphy are you in a bad mood or what!!!!

i think JAR is awesome and under-rated!
Wiley

Postby murphy0151 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:45 pm

I wouldnt give him a shirt in your shiteeee side kiley.

Honestly hes :censored:.  Left back id have Djime then left mid id have Warnock.   I wouldnt even ave him on the bench.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Gaunt » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:41 pm

I'd have him starting left midfield for us every game. His work rate is second to none.
Gaunt

Postby Wiley » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:56 pm

murphy your on drugs!
Wiley

Postby drummerphil » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:09 pm

I dont think he is over rated or under rated........he does a solid  job no more no less......stevie nicol he aint
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:18 pm

he is never a winger put it that way, to be honest i think he needs to start up-ing his game as Warnock has been faultless at left back and hes not making an impression left wing, the fact that he has been here for this long and he still hasnt made niether left back or left wing his own suggests he is nothing more than cover for both posistions, if he is seen as a possible long term solution on the left wing then he needs to start learning what the role involves instead of looking like a rabbit caught in headlights everytime he bombs forward, Risse defo has potential and ability but its about time he forfilled it consistantly.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:22 pm

Hes one of our best players and most talented. Very few can hit a ball as accurate as him form diatnce on the volley. For some reason he hasnt played that much. Rafa knows how important he is and since our season is long this year i think hes resting him for the big games.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:30 pm

This is a very similar thread to your other one, "who should play on the left" or whatever it is.
To answer both questions, whether or not Riise is underrated or not depends on how highly you personally rate him really. He's not the sort of player who gets unanimous praise or slagging, some rate him and some don't. In my opinion I think he's a good player who barring Kewell rising like a pheonix from the bargain bin would be my first choice left-mid. I would say that if you think he is sh!te then you underrate him, if you think he is as good as Duff then you overrate him. That's just my opinion though obviously.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion