Now everybody's calmed down, - Seriously will we beat chelsea?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:43 am

you're right peewee, i must take some rest now :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:47 am

Whats the odds on Kenyon bein caught havin a cuppa with SG before the game? The Vatican only settled the election so quick as they heard Kenyon had his passport on him yesterday!!

Seriously, I think the tie's winnable, but close. We play a different game in Europe, as the likes of Biscan could testify, and I'm not sure how the game will develop. Chelski aint played too well of late and we never know how we're gonna play! That first Alonso-Lampard clash could be a promisin one.....

Lets jus hope we get no injuries over the next coupla weeks, and put an almost full strength team out against them, then discuss the merits of a one off tie against Milan after.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:20 am

woof woof ! wrote:Anybody got the stats on chelsea this season ? how many games have thay failed to score in?

not many i know that. i wonder how many games they've won 1-0 though.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bRy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:57 pm

On the optimistic side of things, our situation is very similar to Chelsea's when they confronted the 'unbeatable' Arsenal side, a team they'd lost the previous 16 matches to. Come the quarter final, with defeat written all over Chelsea and the tags as rank outsiders, Chelsea pull off a phenomenal result at Highbury.

Chelsea when they played Arsenal last season didn't play badly, they took it up to the Gooners but were unlucky not to register a victory. We've been in the same position with regard to Chelsea, therefore I think the odds favour us if you believe in history repeating itself. It would be a shrewd tactic too, should someone mention this point to the press, as I believe it would sow the seeds of doubt in the Chelsea players' minds, and perhaps instill a 'destiny mentality' in the minds of our players (although such a mentality must be managed correctly to ensure our players don't just go through the motions, believing fate is on their side)

The negative aspect of the game however is the fact that Chelsea's Premiership opposition and play a fast, high tempo style of football similar to most teams in the Premier League. We this season have performed better in Europe given the fact that some of our brighter players are more accustomed to the continental styles employed by the majority of the teams. The fact that Chelsea play a style of football that in some ways defines the English game worries me.

To counteract this, perhaps we should employ tactics similar to those of AC Milan when  they faced United at Trafford. Their brand of patient, counter-attacking football which defines the continental approach saw them through, given a bit of luck. This I'm sure will have been noted by Benitez and most probably will be instituted, with a Benitez twist.

Might also be an idea that the players repeatedly practice penalties at training in preparation for this match, and if we make it, the Final
bRy

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:08 pm

stmichael wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Anybody got the stats on chelsea this season ? how many games have thay failed to score in?

not many i know that. i wonder how many games they've won 1-0 though.

15th Aug ManUtd (H) Won 1-0
21st Aug Birmingham (A) Won 1-0
25th Sep Boro (A) Won 1-0
3rd Oct Liverpool (H) Won 1-0
27th Oct West Ham (H) Won 1-0
2nd Nov CSKA (A) Won 1-0
6th Nov Everton (H) Won 1-0
26th Dec Aston Villa (H) Won 1-0
1st Jan Liverpool (A) Won 1-0
2nd Feb Blackburn (A) Won 1-0
12th Feb Everton (A) Won 1-0
20th Feb Newcastle (A) Won 1-0
15th Mar West Brom (H) Won 1-0

That is 13 games won 1-0.

With a further 18 clean sheets !!
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:24 pm

Can we beat Chelsea?

We can as long as we don't sit back and let them attack us. I think we have the quality. It will be tough but i think we can do it! We need to give them a good game at the bridge. If we sit back the tie will be over, the away goal will be vital. I think we could beat them at anfield. Some of it also depends on wherter stevie g gets his head straight and takes no notice of the chelsea fans.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:55 pm

There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alonso_is_god » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:53 pm

we can beat chelski,although weve lost 3 times 2 dem this season we didnt deserve 2 lose!!!!!
alonso_is_god

Postby sinema » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:54 am

I think it's written in the stars that we win this year's European Cup.
Together with all the other coincidences, the final is on 25 May, the date of our first European Cup victory.  Remember the supporters singing (to the tune of 'Arrividerci Roma')  We're on our way to Roma, on the twenty-fifth of May?.
Apologies if this has been posted, I've been without a computer for a while.
sinema

Postby el_stinger » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:49 am

Hope Alonso snaps Lampard's leg
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:21 am

el_stinger wrote:Hope Alonso snaps Lampard's leg

It was a bad challenge, wasn't intentional but in the end that is why Cole ended up being unmarked at the top of the box to score the winner.  I may not respect chelsea as a team, but regardless it's impossible not to respect Lampard as a player.  He was a mediocre player, but put in the work to become world class, while our players like Kewell, had all the talent but never put in any effort
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:32 am

thats actually quite funny, although its an outdated stereotype.  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:42 am

If Newcastle and Man City can beat Chelsea then so can we.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:13 am

el_stinger wrote:Hope Alonso snaps Lampard's leg

Hey Stinger don't be daft mate. You as a footballer yourself should know this is silly. You're better than that Bud'.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:00 pm

El_stinger is from the banana school of footballing philosophy Mick. :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion