No firepower - Baros and cisse not the answer

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby garciafan » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:38 am

You guys really think that Liverpool lacked firepower and are in the same mess as before. For me there was hardly any difference in the Liverpool play between the Monaco game and this game. The play out ont the flanks was a weak link then and was in this game also. The only difference being Monaco were allowing Garcia a lot of space.

Man U were really lucky with the second goal and it was not as if Liverpool were short of ability atleast not in the midfield. They showed they had a fighting spirit in 2nd half. The difference in this match was C Ronaldo along with some really slack deffending on his flank and some poor play upfront. When guys like Ronaldo are playing as good as they were you need you left mid to help in deffence and Kewell was really found wanting in this area which was partly the reason for the attacking momentum united gained. Coupled with the fact that Cisse was playing so pathetically in the first 20-25 mins Liverpool were surely in for trouble. I almost felt vindicated about his inability to link up play. There was one instant where Garcia had just crossed the ball to right side and Cisse just let it go not even giving it a try and on top of it He gave Garcia a stare. At that moment I felt Players like him are not even worth 1 million they are a liability to the team. However afterwards he started to drop in deep and atleast get some passes going in the united half. so that is really an improvement for me and in the later part of his game I also saw him chasing few balls, which is good and he is showing signs of improvement.
There was another problem Liverpool in the first half were making most of the movement through the center never utilizing the flanks which cost them dearly in posession as most of Man U deffence and Midfield was there. In the second half when they started using these flanks they had united under pressure . Hell even Kewell started to show flashes of skill near the very end of the game where he took on deffenders and crossed in couple of balls but he is still a very weak link if Liverpool want to press with counterattacks. Another thing is Garcia is just being given too much responsibility to carry out attack. I have seen him play a lot in spain. He has the ability to take one or two men and get in good balls from out wide but he is not the sort of link up forward liverpool are trying to make of him well not yet but I am sure towards the end of the season you will see some mesmerizing skills from him. And another thing The deffence was admirable conceding goals from corners with unmarked deffenders and wrong refreeing is not what you call a bad deffence. And Finnan is really wasting a spot in the starting line up even though he got the lucky goal. There is also one definite positive I can see, Xabi Alonso is starting to really influence the game more and more, which will lift pressure of Gerrard
garciafan

Postby azriahmad » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:45 am

Quote ( A.B. @ Sep. 21 2004,17:08)
There is a huge difference between French and Spanish football. Spanish is a bit more like the Premiership than French football.

4-5-1 formation won't make the striker a star . Rafa wants his midfield to score in every game

That reflects Rafa's thinking, although it is more accurate that he likes his midfielders to be able to score as well as create chances, while the central midfielders must be able to intercept, hold, pass and also score. That's his preferred style in a 4-5-1 where the midfielders pack the midfield and move forward in numbers to overwhelm the opposing defenders.

Valencia's midfielders are also goal scorers.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:26 am

I have to agree that Cisse has disapointed me, but I think thats because I expected so much from him, yeah ok he need time to settle but look at Drogba, he's making an instant impact at Chelski :(

I think that Baros and Warnock should play for Cisse and Kewell against Norwich, Benitez is a manager that plays players on form not cos of their reputation.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:03 pm

Paul C wrote:I have to agree that Cisse has disapointed me, but I think thats because I expected so much from him, yeah ok he need time to settle but look at Drogba, he's making an instant impact at Chelski

what games you been watching?

drogba's had one good game since signing for chelsea, and that was in europe.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby miniman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:23 pm

I think we all need to have faith in the team, lets not forget that they still don't really know each other and have maybe not bonded. Don't forget the awsome display of football we put on last week. (2-0, 3-0)
"Football is not a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that"
miniman

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:25 pm

in the past we have been notorious for being better away from home than at home. this season it looks as if it will be the other way around. when it comes down to it, losing away to man u is not going to cost us anything. what will cost us is dropping points at home to lesser teams. that is what should be wiped out first of all.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby miniman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:28 pm

I would like to agree with THE GREAT ONE Dudek is not the keeper we need, we need to buy a world class keeper.
"Football is not a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that"
miniman

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:30 pm

miniman wrote:I would like to agree with THE GREAT ONE Dudek is not the keeper we need, we need to buy a world class keeper.

i would say buy robert green but everyone knows that he is going to arsenal. what world class keepers are available anyway? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mynameisred » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:31 pm

Get an experienced keeper in but have Kirkland as number 1. Cannizares perhaps.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby miniman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:47 pm

We could poach, sorry tempt any keeper in the world given the background and history of LIVERPOOL fc
miniman

Postby parchpea » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:57 pm

In response to earlier postings I would say the likes of Reyes and Pires showed glimpses of magic right off the bat. Cisse has not shown anything at all. Give them time has been used so very often at Liverpool over recent years. I reckon your initial gut feeling about a player is usually the most accurate.  I see quality in all the Spanish lads we have bought, but not Cisse. You can see a good one from a bad one. The fact is Cisse is a decent player, but not top draw. I do not think all the time in the world will change that. When we talk of giving time its almost like we are shielding ourselves from another big signing let down. I fear Cisse will join the list.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby DAV » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:05 pm

yes we were ******
but rome wasn't built in a day
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:04 pm

parchpea wrote:In response to earlier postings I would say the likes of Reyes and Pires showed glimpses of magic right off the bat. Cisse has not shown anything at all. Give them time has been used so very often at Liverpool over recent years. I reckon your initial gut feeling about a player is usually the most accurate.  I see quality in all the Spanish lads we have bought, but not Cisse. You can see a good one from a bad one. The fact is Cisse is a decent player, but not top draw. I do not think all the time in the world will change that. When we talk of giving time its almost like we are shielding ourselves from another big signing let down. I fear Cisse will join the list.

Right on Parchpea !! Looks that way to me, I reckon Cisse will be moving along after this season, unless he pulls something out that we have not seen yet.
I must say, I was suprised that we were the only team looking at Cisse last season, now I think I know why : 'Not the best tool in the tool-box'  :(   :(
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:49 pm

From the Echo, more confirmation of what we are all saying :

''Djibril Cisse is quickly becoming Winston Churchill's mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.

He had an early chance, wasn't alert enough to take it, then simply disappeared as an attacking threat, apart from two second-half surges ended - totally incorrectly - by a blindfolded linesman flagging for off-side.

Harry Kewell, another conundrum in football boots, woke up late in the game but on this form is only keeping his place by a whisker from young winger Stephen Warnock.''

Looks like our two least favourite son's are coming under the media spotlight. Make or Break time may be fast approaching. There is one thing having doubts expressed on these pages, where it remains relatively
behind 'closed doors'. But once the media starts openly expressing doubt it will get to the players and management, let's see how they respond ?
I have my doubts about a positive outcome in both instances here.

:blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:13 pm

From Tommy Smith :

''Cisse must be more up front Sep 22 2004
By Tommy Smith, Liverpool Echo

IT'S clear why Liverpool's defending has come under the spotlight after conceding two goals from set pieces at United.

I've never been a fan of zonal marking and believe the best way is to go man to man, so everybody knows their individual responsibility.

That can be put right. But more worrying is the situation with the strike force at Anfield. At Old Trafford the Reds looked a bit lightweight up front.

Djibril Cisse is great at running onto balls at pace and can put chances away pretty well, but he needs to do a lot more harrying, making life difficult for defenders by getting closer to them when they are in possession.

Liverpool are still missing Michael Owen in that respect - he was good at defending from the front. Getting close to the opposition back line puts them under pressure to find a pass and means everyone else behind the striker naturally gets closer to their own man.

That aside, there's really only Baros at the moment to play with Cisse or challenge him for his place, and I'm not sure either option is the answer anyway.

Other than Cisse and Baros, Liverpool have only Pongolle and Mellor as recognised strikers and, with Owen going to Madrid so late on, they haven't been able to replace him.

I'm concerned at where the goals are going to come from.''

I paid Tommy Smith to write the above aarticle to support this Topic !!
But seriously, the cat is out of the bag. When ex' players are expressing concern, albeit to earn a few bob. We also need to be concerned when they are confirming the views expressed in our humble discussions.
Looks to me that we need some increased financial backing to go out and address the short comings of our strike force, the January window can't come quickly enough.

??? ???
Redrider
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion