Er ello whats happening with our skipper?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:42 pm

Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:27 am

Ciggy wrote:I am feckin sick and tired of our best player being used as a spare part.

So why the feck is our best player playing in every position that he doesnt know.

gerrard is far, far more than that ciggy. and the second point is, simply put, he's possibly too versatile for his own good...

(though you'd never guess he HADNT been used to the new positions with all he offers the team, would you).

the lad oozes class and arrogance (the right kind) all over the park-wherever he's asked, he gives 100%.

it becomes clearer with every game that to NOT have Sissoko, Alonso and Gerrard all together in the same side isnt maximising our chances with having three of europes finest players.

one to break it all up, one of them able to pick out a player stood or moving onto a sixpence. and the other who creatively, drives the point of attack....from ALL over the final third.  think about it that way.  on their day sissoko and alonso can defend/attack as a pair, better than most on the continent..if not further. that is quite a statement. and one thats testament to the vision of the gaffer, so.....

gerrard to me, isnt being used as a pawn, he's being used crucially as another threat from another area on the pitch. one that opposing teams had begun to take as a given that 'the world's best central midfielder' would occupy, er,  centrally.... well, he is becoming able to do damage from absolutely anywhere across the front. to me thats GAINING something, while holding on to the ethic. of course relatively speaking.

does it lose something from him? yes, i think so. i think it does marginally. but only if the middle of the park is struggling would that become obvious. because, you have to say. rafa benitez and his mindset is a tough one to call. if he believes gerrard can offer as much away from his preferred position in midfield, whilst keeping the same tenacity, tempo and drive from the rest of them...  its a call we are going to see a lot more of.

lets just say the idea will take time to get used to. but certainly for me, id be made up if those three were on the park as a manager. even at this early stage, the signs are at least there that it CAN work...the rest is up to gerrards own head i suppose ultimately.

there is an arguement also to suggest, having stevie there is covering someone elses position because the gaffer is unhappy with the options he has?... that could be true.

although, pennant seems likely to grow into his role. that leaves the left a bit of a mystery as to who the task will fall upon. id hope for gonzalez to step up to his promise eventually. then maybe gerrard would have less cause to stand-in. if thats the case. we'll have to see how it pans out.

but from having early doubts.. like you are, about the strange goings on/rotation policies etc of rafa's head etc.  im getting used to the idea, slowly. defensively though i dont think he's that missed when outside his normal zone, providing the game is being controlled.

put it this way - from the midfield, everybody has got used to seeing gerrard bomb on and make things happen, right?

and while he's gone who picks up the gauntlet...

we all expect that from him. well, what if we keep that same energy in the middle using xabi and momo AND have him roaming all over the place causing even more of it to the enemy.  but get the flanks sorted, for me we'll be in business.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:48 am

rafa was asked this question on a radio interview i heard on the way home tonight, now i wont print everything he said but he basically said gerrard was played in different positions because thats what was best for the team, dont get me wrong i would love to see Gerrard back central but whats best for the team has to come first

try picking a midfield with 1 of the other 2 missing to accomodate gerrard in central midfield and i bet anybody on this board could pick a better one.

plus it cant be a bad thing if you have such a great player who can cover most positions.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby red37 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:54 am

thats right.

someone else said in the other thread, 'what about when xabi or momo get injured?'  then of course he'd be drafted back into the mix... but you have a good arguement for the 3 of them to be present where and whenever possible.

though like you say, being able to cover is also good. you just get the impression gerrard would make a great anything, if he set his heart into it.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby RAGE UK » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:21 am

Steve Gerrard is getting very very thrustrated playing wide you can see it in his face.
He is a better midfielder then momo and xabi I see momo playing more centre then Gerrard that’s not right.
he will begin to fell as if he is getting pushed out of his position where he likes to play and in the middle he shines playing wide he dose not work it out for yourselves.
Please don’t jump on me I’m in no way saying that momo amd xabi are not good because I know they are ok.
I’m just stating that given 1 player out of the 3 you want on the pitch playing at his best and you know as well as I do Gerrard will win every time .
LIVERPOOL FC    ….> NOW THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT <…
RAGE UK

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:35 am

RAGE UK wrote:Steve Gerrard is getting very very thrustrated playing wide you can see it in his face.
He is a better midfielder then momo and xabi I see momo playing more centre then Gerrard that’s not right.
he will begin to fell as if he is getting pushed out of his position where he likes to play and in the middle he shines playing wide he dose not work it out for yourselves.
Please don’t jump on me I’m in no way saying that momo amd xabi are not good because I know they are ok.
I’m just stating that given 1 player out of the 3 you want on the pitch playing at his best and you know as well as I do Gerrard will win every time .

He's a better midfielder than Xabi?

Can he pass as well? No.

Can he tackle as well? No.

Does he have the same vision? No.

The three key elements of a midfielder.

Gerrard is a better attacker than Xabi, but you can't justifiably say he's a better "midfielder". Attcking midfielder - yes. Defensive mid? Not a chance.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAGE UK » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:54 am

yer ok what ever im not getting in to what will turn into a slatting match m8.

Can he pass as well? No. (yer right)

Can he tackle as well? No. (yer right)

Does he have the same vision? No. 23 goals and with no vision

If the ball is back in our box so is steven gerrard m8.

anyway thats that just two differances of opinion.
LIVERPOOL FC    ….> NOW THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT <…
RAGE UK

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:39 am

RAGE UK wrote:yer ok what ever im not getting in to what will turn into a slatting match m8.

Can he pass as well? No. (yer right)

Can he tackle as well? No. (yer right)

Does he have the same vision? No. 23 goals and with no vision

If the ball is back in our box so is steven gerrard m8.

anyway thats that just two differances of opinion.

You're right about the opinions, but it's widely known that Xabi is the best passer in Europe.

"Tackle" doesn't necessarily mean a sliding tackle.

You don't need footballing vision to score goals. Just look at Cisse.

I'm not saying Gerrard hasn't got vision - he clearly has. He just isn't as good as Xabi, is my point.

I suppose it's down to what you want in a player. I like the understated aspects of the game, such as a crucial pass which avoids a build-up of danger, or staying on your feet to block off a run, rather than being drawn into a foul. A subtle alteration of pace and/or swerve on the ball to decieve the opposition and allow a man to break free.

The job Xabi does for the team will ALWAYS be underrated (or missed completely) by the majority of people, as the majority of people just see the goals on TV.
(That's in no way a dig at you, btw.)

I've seen Alonso play live a few times, and the lad has a pure footballing brain. He's also far more cultured than any English player.

Yep - for me, he's a diamond and I would be a lot more concerned by his absence than any other player in the team, including JC.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:48 am

from liverpoolfc.tv

Steven Gerrard has defended Rafael Benitez and said he can't understand why people are questioning his decisions and admitted he will play anywhere on the field for him.
The Liverpool captain has a lot respect for Benitez and thoroughly accepts that he will continue to be played in different positions across the park for the good of the team.

"Anyone who questions the tactics of Rafa Benitez must be crazy," said a defiant Gerrard.

"Rafa's already achieved so much in two years and all the players and supporters have total belief in him. I get sick of it when, if there's a bad result, everyone is talking about where I've played.

"Under Rafa I've been used to playing in different positions, and there's no point people going on about it every chance they get.

"I'm the first to admit I was as surprised as anyone when I was picked to play on the left on Sunday. I had to check the team sheet, but there were tactical reasons for that which nearly paid off. If I'd have taken my chance, as I should have done, it would have been because I was on the left against a defender who was having such a tough time he was subbed.

"If we'd have equalised then, people would have been saying it was a master-stroke by the manager to play me against Boulahrouz. These are the fine lines we're dealing with in football.

"I know under Rafa I'll continue to play in different positions, but that's because he thinks I'm a good player who can do a number of jobs.

"There will be times when I'm back in the middle and everyone knows that's where I prefer to be be, but the most important thing for me is always to see the team win, wherever I am."

Gerrard also admitted he has been impressed with the acquisitions Benitez has assembled at Anfield during the summer.

"The players we've brought in this summer are all top class," enthused Gerrard.

"Maybe there have been times in the past we've made signings who couldn't hack it at a club the size of Liverpool. I can tell you now that's definitely not the case this time. Players like Kuyt, Bellamy, Pennant, Aurelio, Agger and Gonzalez are quality players. I've seen enough of them in just a couple of months to see that.

"Nowadays if a manager spends big money on a player, people expect immediate goals or man-of-the-match performances. It doesn't always work like that. You need to settle and adjust.

"Liverpool tactics and systems aren't the same as what these players are used to at other clubs.

"The main thing is have they got the quality and will they improve us? We've seen enough already to see the answer is yes. That's why we know we're going to be a better team this season. We 've just got to be a bit more patient.

"Confidence comes from winning games, but we haven't lost our belief in the dressing room. Of course we want to win and put on a good performance tonight, but it would be wrong to say we're desperate to get three points.

"It's not a desperate situation. We're going into this just like any other home game, knowing the pressure is on us to play well and win the game, as it always is.

"If that happens, things will already start to look better, but the last thing we want is everyone getting anxious already. It's far too early for that, and I think a lot of it stems from things which have been said and written making out we're already playing 'must-win' games. We're not.

"We're playing very important games, but there's no need to start panicking.

"As a captain, I actually find it easier to do what's expected of me after a defeat because you know the lads are hurt and want to react in the right way. You don't really need to say much to them, because everyone is determined to put it right."
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:13 am

peewee wrote:from liverpoolfc.tv

Steven Gerrard has defended Rafael Benitez and said he can't understand why people are questioning his decisions and admitted he will play anywhere on the field for him.
The Liverpool captain has a lot respect for Benitez and thoroughly accepts that he will continue to be played in different positions across the park for the good of the team.

"Anyone who questions the tactics of Rafa Benitez must be crazy," said a defiant Gerrard.

"Rafa's already achieved so much in two years and all the players and supporters have total belief in him. I get sick of it when, if there's a bad result, everyone is talking about where I've played.

"Under Rafa I've been used to playing in different positions, and there's no point people going on about it every chance they get.

"I'm the first to admit I was as surprised as anyone when I was picked to play on the left on Sunday. I had to check the team sheet, but there were tactical reasons for that which nearly paid off. If I'd have taken my chance, as I should have done, it would have been because I was on the left against a defender who was having such a tough time he was subbed.

"If we'd have equalised then, people would have been saying it was a master-stroke by the manager to play me against Boulahrouz. These are the fine lines we're dealing with in football.

"I know under Rafa I'll continue to play in different positions, but that's because he thinks I'm a good player who can do a number of jobs.

"There will be times when I'm back in the middle and everyone knows that's where I prefer to be be, but the most important thing for me is always to see the team win, wherever I am."

Gerrard also admitted he has been impressed with the acquisitions Benitez has assembled at Anfield during the summer.

"Maybe there have been times in the past we've made signings who couldn't hack it at a club the size of Liverpool. I can tell you now that's definitely not the case this time. Players like Kuyt, Bellamy, Pennant, Aurelio, Agger and Gonzalez are quality players. I've seen enough of them in just a couple of months to see that.

"Nowadays if a manager spends big money on a player, people expect immediate goals or man-of-the-match performances. It doesn't always work like that. You need to settle and adjust.

"Liverpool tactics and systems aren't the same as what these players are used to at other clubs.

"The main thing is have they got the quality and will they improve us? We've seen enough already to see the answer is yes. That's why we know we're going to be a better team this season. We 've just got to be a bit more patient.

"Confidence comes from winning games, but we haven't lost our belief in the dressing room. Of course we want to win and put on a good performance tonight, but it would be wrong to say we're desperate to get three points.

"It's not a desperate situation. We're going into this just like any other home game, knowing the pressure is on us to play well and win the game, as it always is.

"If that happens, things will already start to look better, but the last thing we want is everyone getting anxious already. It's far too early for that, and I think a lot of it stems from things which have been said and written making out we're already playing 'must-win' games. We're not.

"As a captain, I actually find it easier to do what's expected of me after a defeat because you know the lads are hurt and want to react in the right way. You don't really need to say much to them, because everyone is determined to put it right."

Damn straight.  :nod

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:07 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:

even quentin crisp would appear 'damn straight' next to you, you big queer

:D
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:29 am

peewee wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:

even quentin crisp would appear 'damn straight' next to you, you big queer

:D

Oooh peewee, you say the nicest things!!!

You big stud muffin!!!!  :love:  :D

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:58 am

It is a real conundrum for Rafa as to how to play his central midfielders and a task i don't envy him. The fact is that individually Xabi, Momo and Gerrard are all very different players who work in different ways together.
On paper the "best" two players would be Xabi and Gerrard but then you lose the bite and defensive qualities of Momo, essential ingredients in any successful premiership team. OK so you have to play Momo but who with? Do you drop either of your two most influential players?
The answer that Rafa has obviously come up with is "No" and so you play them both. Xabi and Momo work best together in the middle, that has been proven and also Xabi is less versatile and couldn't play wide like Gerrard and so you are left wirth Gerrard out on the wing.
What else can you do? Change the formation, play Gerrard behind a lone striker? Put three in the middle? No, the team works as a 4-4-2 and so it shall remain.
For me Gerrard is the best central midfielder in the world, including Xabi. I don't think that Xabi is a much better passer and I certainly don't think he tackles and defends better than Gerrard, Gerrard is a more complete midfielder without doubt BUT in the context of our squad and formation and the tactics employed by our esteemed manager the only place for Gerrard is on the right side.
Short of buying new players to fit around him it isn't going to change unless injuries dictate otherwise, I just hope that Gerrard is happy with this as we need him focused and playing his best if we are get back up to the top of the league where we belong.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:35 pm

Watching Gerrard last night it's clear that where he starts (at RM last night) is rarely where he spends the majority of the match.  Stevie was everywhere last night: down the right, through the middle, out on the left...wherever the ball was, Gerrard was nearby, getting into dangerous positions. 

I think people get too worked up about labels like RM when it comes to Gerrard.  Even when he starts at CM, he pops up on the flanks far more than most CMs do and that's an asset.  The only question is does he get the ball enough out wide to make an impact.  Last night he did and he created some dangerous moments in the final 3rd.  In other games he's struggled to get involved and those are the games where Rafa has switched things up mid-match, moving others to wide positions are sacrificing Momo to get Stevie into the middle and more involved.  The point is, no matter where he starts he has the flexibility to roam about and Rafa has the wherewithall to change things around if he's getting isolated.

As for the worries about Gerrard's future at the club, I'm not prepared to entertain them for a second.  Stevie's recent interviews make it clear that he respects Rafa and understands why he's playing where he's playing.  That's good enough for me.  Everything else is just rumour and innuendo generated by the gutter press to sell papers, IMO.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:40 pm

Ciggy wrote:Gettin a bit sick of it if Im honest.
On the Right, in midfield,
Onthe left.
In the CL as RB........

Steven Gerrard has p.issed hundreds off with his antics, NOTW, HELLO and his Persil ads.
But Rafa is p.issing me more off by not getting the best out of him.

Oi listen he is the best midfielder to ever come from Liverpool, he is a world class player, mbeing totally played out of position for cluband country.
24 goals he scored for LFC last season now he has been shipped to the left.
Rafa said its his Ronaldino roll, maybe he wants it to be that?
I am feckin sick and tired of our best player being used as a spare part.
Yes I am a iverpool fan but players like Gerrard cost 30 mill, and we havent got that.
So why the feck is our best player playing in every position that he doesnt know.

Yer Rafa is a genious if it comes of, but I think he is being foolish where Gerrard is concerned.

Playing predominently on the right of midfield last season.

He is our best player in every position, and he will be played where Rafa see's fit.

He is part of the team, not the team.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion