Our skipper

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:05 am

Good post,

Like Rafa said, signing Stevie was the best bit of business he's ever done.

66-1112520797

Postby azriahmad » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:20 am

Promodua, that is an opinion by a sports journalist who looks at the EPL through Chelsea-tinted glasses.

Gerrard is our prime force, be it attacking or leading the way in a game or doing his bit in defending. We are strongest when he is playing as he is simply unbelievable with his commitment, enthusiasm and sheer will allied to the application of his skills and natural abilities.

Liverpool is in no way a "one-man team" as that reporter said, even backed by his stats. Liverpool have many good players, its just that our captain leads from the front in his own way. If he is somehow unavailable, i.e. suspended or otherwise, we will adapt and perhaps change our approach slightly and roll on. Football is played by 11 against 11, not 1 against 11 and certainly not 1 carrying the other 10 in his team. Gerrard is phenominal at this moment in this season, and touch wood, hopefully so in future throughout the season.

Gerrard is able to excel so much because the others are supporting him well and are playing well themselves. Yes, Gerrard is inspirational and extremely important but Liverpool is not all about Gerrard and Gerrard only. Gerrard himself will be very quick to acknowledge that.

We have never had a midfield player of Gerrard's sheer will and abilitiy, though we had players who developed themselves to be able to apply their talents better than Gerrard (Gerrard is still only 25 and has loads of room and time to become better) like Graeme Souness and Ronnie Whelan. Also, these players had the benefit of playing in teams with great players in every position like Alan Hansen, King Kenny, Terry Mac, Rushie, Beardsley, John Barnes etc.

Gerrard is an excellent leader and hopefully, he gets to complete his medal collection in due course.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:07 pm

was going to start a thread on this when i got back from holiday today but there's no need now.

having been a harsh critic of gerrard last season for his inconsistent performances, constant bleating to the press and poor body language, i have to admit that this season it's like a different player.

hell, i even condoned selling him after the last transfer fiasco as i had a fear that we were becoming "stevie g fc" and that he was becoming more important than the team itself.

however i saw a change right from the word go this season, from the champions league qualifiers to the present day. a more disciplined, team oriented player who is currently in the form of his life and is finally playing with a smile on his face (after two years of generally sulking).

when he's in this current form, nobody in this country is fit to lace his boots. long may it continue.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:16 pm

I posted a while ago about what exactly it has been that has changed our results this season and catapulted us towards a 10 game winning streak, and the fact is that there is more than one reason.

Gerrard's body language, performances and attitude have been excellent this season, but this has been from the word go, he was phenominal in the early season european games and also in the games at the start of the season where we weren't winning.  It hasn't just been for our current winning streak.

The change to 4-4-2 has unquestionably been the biggest factor in our better results, along with the cut-down in squad rotation and the exclusion of Josemi and Traore from the defensive line-ups.  However, the above changes wouldn't have yielded such good results had Gerrard's consistent brilliance not been ever-present.

He is the best player at the club and his consistent performances now mean he is also the best choice for captain.  For all Carra's guts, consistency and determination, nobody can lift and inspire a football team like Steven Gerrard these days.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:23 pm

stmichael wrote:was going to start a thread on this when i got back from holiday today but there's no need now.

having been a harsh critic of gerrard last season for his inconsistent performances, constant bleating to the press and poor body language, i have to admit that this season it's like a different player.

hell, i even condoned selling him after the last transfer fiasco as i had a fear that we were becoming "stevie g fc" and that he was becoming more important than the team itself.

however i saw a change right from the word go this season, from the champions league qualifiers to the present day. a more disciplined, team oriented player who is currently in the form of his life and is finally playing with a smile on his face (after two years of generally sulking).

when he's in this current form, nobody in this country is fit to lace his boots. long may it continue.

Spot on.

You were right to question his commitment last year, you were right to think selling him was a good idea if his heart wasn't in it and you were right to see the improvement from day of this season.

I remember when he was first made captain, he was in great form for most of the season and playing really well. Then last year you could see his ability level stepped up, yet his attitude and form went down the pan.

This year he's playing with attitude and form and ability and its showing.

Players develope in wierd ways in my opinion. For me, they hit good form, then when they lose that good form, there ability improves.

IE Gerrard in his first season to his second, Crouch last season, Crouch at the start of the season to Crouch recently.

When they hit form again and get there confidence back, other aspects of there game have usually improved. It happens regularly untill about the age of 25/26. Once a player reaches this age they then normally find consistency and stagnate for 2/3 years.

I remember Steven playing a few years ago when Houllier dropped him and blasted him. His head got to big. He was playing woefull football and deserved a kick up the :censored:, i think this has helped him become the fantastic player he is today.

Gerrard is for me still going to have a dip in form this season towards the end, i believe during he world cup and next year he could become one of the top 3 players on the planet. He's not far off at the moment and he's improving alot still.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:24 pm

i also think that our strength in depth in the midfield area means that gerrard can solely concentrate on his job without having to rely on kicking everybody elses ar$e into gear aswell. our midfield is now at least the equal of chelsea's if not better, ditto the defence.

14 goals in 28 games from midfield is just phenomenal. any striker would be pleased with that. like rafa said recently, who needs a 20 goal striker when you've got midfielders who are capable of scoring 15-20?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:25 pm

john craig wrote:I posted a while ago about what exactly it has been that has changed our results this season and catapulted us towards a 10 game winning streak, and the fact is that there is more than one reason.

Gerrard's body language, performances and attitude have been excellent this season, but this has been from the word go, he was phenominal in the early season european games and also in the games at the start of the season where we weren't winning.  It hasn't just been for our current winning streak.

The change to 4-4-2 has unquestionably been the biggest factor in our better results, along with the cut-down in squad rotation and the exclusion of Josemi and Traore from the defensive line-ups.  However, the above changes wouldn't have yielded such good results had Gerrard's consistent brilliance not been ever-present.

He is the best player at the club and his consistent performances now mean he is also the best choice for captain.  For all Carra's guts, consistency and determination, nobody can lift and inspire a football team like Steven Gerrard these days.

Carragher would be a superb captain and deserves it.

Gerrard is finally better than him and deserves it more. :)

Both players sum up Liverpool football club. Carragher more so imo after Gerrard's antics last year... however its great to have Stevie at his best.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:32 pm

stmichael wrote:i also think that our strength in depth in the midfield area means that gerrard can solely concentrate on his job without having to rely on kicking everybody elses ar$e into gear aswell. our midfield is now at least the equal of chelsea's if not better, ditto the defence.

14 goals in 28 games from midfield is just phenomenal. any striker would be pleased with that. like rafa said recently, who needs a 20 goal striker when you've got midfielders who are capable of scoring 15-20?

Lamplard has 13 goals and 12 in the league. ???

:D

Our midfield is close to Chelsea's i would say. Kewell has FINALLY got his :censored: in gear by the looks of things and deserves a mention, he's not in Robben's class but he's certainly as good as Duff at his best. Now if we can just sign a quality right winger we'll be laughing. Infact, Gerrard and Alonso are better than anything Chelsea have to offer in that area and i rate Essien above Lampard.

I think at the back individually, Chelsea are better. Gallas for me is one of the top 5 in world football. Terry is simply immense. Ferriera is top class and the best defensive right back in world football and Del Horno looks a quality left back... However, as a unit when Riise, Hyypia, Carragher and Finnan play we're as close as we realistically need to be. Reina and Cech, so far there doesn't look to be much in it which is something i can say i'm made up about. Upfront, if we sign a classy partner for Crouch then i think we could really be onto something. Crouch has been superb this season and his hold up and link up play is fantastic, unlike Drogba. However, Drogba poses a different kind of threat and Crespo is a world class FINISHER even if not a world class alround player.
115-1073096938

Postby kazza » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:32 pm

So many times when a player signs a new contract his performance seems to drop. Gerrard seems better now that I have ever seen him, a real complete player (and I always thought he was world class). Rather than relaxing after securing his future, he seems determined to prove that he is worth every penny which shows what a champion he is.

If there is a player to build a team around, there is no one better than Gerrard.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion