Next season's ideal eleven - What would be your realistic 11?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SundanceKid » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:14 am

JoeTerp wrote:not sure if you know this sundance but Barca might look a lot different next year. new coach and most likely a lot of different players. I don't think its quite fair yet to say what their playing style will be. Look at the two different Real Madrid teams that one the league in the last two seasons, they had a different style of play

Barca have been playing the same way for a long time. Remember the goal they scored on us in 2001?
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:14 pm

JoeTerp wrote:not sure if you know this sundance but Barca might look a lot different next year. new coach and most likely a lot of different players. I don't think its quite fair yet to say what their playing style will be. Look at the two different Real Madrid teams that one the league in the last two seasons, they had a different style of play

exactly
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:23 pm

Abramovich should call Putin.

He should tell him to give Arshavin's family a seat in the Kremlin if he signs for Chelski.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:29 pm

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:49 pm

stmichael wrote:Image

Tbh if the only improvements to the first team are the return of Agger and Dossena, I don't think we will finish that much nearer.

Reina

Arbeloa       Carra       Agger        Dossena

Masch
             Gerrard                Barry

Keane       Torres            Babel     

Might be enough to get us close, and then you never know. I really do think we could get better than Keane for the money. £20 million........FFS we only paid that for Torres, who's totally different class!
account deleted by request

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 pm

Mate i think why keane is being quoted at 20 million is because he's a proven and has already adapted to life in the premier league and why players like villa are being quoted at 30 million is because they have done fantastic in a foreign league and still they might not be able to adapt in the premier league , not every 25 million above player would be a torres. Take into consideration shevchenko , veron , all players who came with huge reputations which they could not live up to . I'd be happy if we got keane , barry and maybe the icing on the cake silva .

Reina

Carragher          Skrtel           Agger          Dossena

Masch/Lucas

Gerrard                             Barry              Silva

Torres                   Keane

Subs:
Babel
Kuyt
Cavilieri
Hypia
Benayoun
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:03 pm

Reina

Finnan Carragher Agger Dossana

Alonso Mascharano

Gerrard         Keane          Barry

Torres

It still won't get us near the tittle, we bought in Torres last season for f*ck sake and it only improved us by a few points. We need 3 more Torres's and maybe we are in with a shout.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Reina

Carragher Skrtel Agger Dossena

Masch        Alonso

Gerrard        Barry         Babel (or naturally Silva if we can get him)

Voronin :D  (He had a great goal against Lucerne yesterday. I think he's going to score at least 35 screaming goals this season :p )

If the Voronator gets injured, we have quite a decent back-up in Torres :cool:
Last edited by RedBen on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedBen
LFC Super Member

Postby red to the bone » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:39 pm

Reina

Arbeloa           Carragher         Agger            Insua( Dossena??)

Mascherano            Barry

Kuyt                    Gerrard               Keane

Torres
red to the bone

Postby neil » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:40 pm

Aurelio is gonna be a star this year
reina
arbeloa skertal agger aurelio
masch gerrard barry babbel
        keane
              torres
and we will win the prem
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:12 am

Starting XI:
                             Reina
  Arbeloa        Carra           Agger      Dossena
                         Mascherano
              Gerrard               Barry
    Keane                                     Babel
                          Torres

2nd XI:
                              Cavalieri
  Degen/Carra   Skrtel                Hyypia     Insua/Arbeloa
                              Plessis
                Lucas                      Alonso
   Kuyt                                                Silva
                     Keane/Babel/Nemeth

Don't know how much those three would cost and I don't know what we have to spend, but I would be willing to sell Carson, Itandje, Finnan, Pennant, Aurelio, Voronin, and Yossi, in addition to the already sold Riise, Guthrie, Crouch, Kewell, Le Tallec which is worth about 17M. But only as long as I knew the money was going directly into bringing in a player that is actually worth 18M.

People might say you cannot sell all those players we would lack depth. Well that full 2nd string
of players doesn't look to bad to me, and if we get more than one injury to a position at the same time (would be terrible luck) we aren't going to challenge for the title anyway.  I don't see Voronin's experience being of any use to the team when there are so many players ahead of him. He isn't even a real striker FFS. I actually like Pennant but he certainly is not needed, and I think he could be worth more to the club in the form of cash (if in fact we are as short on cash as rafa is having everyone believe). Aurelio might seem like a controversial sell but if Dossena is worth his price tag, he should be a clear step better (would want to see him in action before dealing)  And if we keep Arbeloa, who is just as capable a back up as Aurelio and having Insua around as well, Aurelio (who is the best LB at the club still on the books that has played in a red shirt) suddenly has much lower value to our team than he could on the market.  Selling Yossi could be considered as another radical idea because he has not played poorly for us, but I don't see how exactly he is going to fit into our team. I think he really wants to play as a second striker but I think it would be hard for him to unseat Gerrard. And if it was between having both Riera and Yossi in the squad or just David Silva, I am taking Silva every time.
JoeTerp

Postby inglis5 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:51 pm

With the links to Keane now appearing to be pretty substantial I think it's time to reassess what formation Rafa is going to play next year. For a long time I really thought that he would be playing 4-5-1 but now I'm not so sure. If we get the players we are being strongly linked to  it doesn't look like we are going to get the 'world class winger' we've been crying out for now for 2 or 3 years. All our width next season will probably come from the full backs - Degen and Dossena. Anyway, what will our 1st XI look like? One option is -

Reina

Degen    Carragher  Agger    Dossena

Mascherano    Barry

Gerrard      Keane    Babel

Torres

Now I've got several problems with this, although it looks pretty good, I don't think that Keane is a creative second striker or somebody you would want to play in the hole. I also think that by putting Gerrard there with nobody outside him you are restricting him. I also would like to see Babel play more on the right and go outside rather than cutting in each time. Also, Mascherano plays best just in front of the back 4, on his own. Now you could play the same 11 in a 4-4-2 but it still has it's problems -

Reina

Gerrard   Mascherano    Barry   Babel

Keane    Torres

What I would have loved is the purchase of a quality winger (such as Silva) and Barry and then we could have pretty much kept the same formation that was so successful at the back end of last season and played this (my IDEAL XI) -

Reina

Arbeloa    Carragher  Agger    Dossena

Mascherano

Gerrard        Barry

Babel                         Silva

Torres

If Torres got injured play Silva on the left and bring in Kuyt or play Kuyt as the main striker. Plus with a quality winger you wouldn't necessarily need to play a more offensive full back and could stick with the more reliable Arbeloa. To me this side has perfect balance but what do I know...

Anyway, we know one things is for sure, Rafa's got options and we all know he likes options
                                 :D
inglis5

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:46 pm

JoeTerp wrote:2nd XI:
                              Cavalieri
  Degen/Carra   Skrtel                Hyypia     Insua/Arbeloa
                              Plessis
                Lucas                      Alonso
   Kuyt                                                Silva
                     Keane/Babel/Nemeth

Don't know how much those three would cost and I don't know what we have to spend, but I would be willing to sell Carson, Itandje, Finnan, Pennant, Aurelio, Voronin, and Yossi, in addition to the already sold Riise, Guthrie, Crouch, Kewell, Le Tallec which is worth about 17M. But only as long as I knew the money was going directly into bringing in a player that is actually worth 18M.

People might say you cannot sell all those players we would lack depth. Well that full 2nd string
of players doesn't look to bad to me, and if we get more than one injury to a position at the same time (would be terrible luck) we aren't going to challenge for the title anyway.  I don't see Voronin's experience being of any use to the team when there are so many players ahead of him. He isn't even a real striker FFS. I actually like Pennant but he certainly is not needed, and I think he could be worth more to the club in the form of cash (if in fact we are as short on cash as rafa is having everyone believe). Aurelio might seem like a controversial sell but if Dossena is worth his price tag, he should be a clear step better (would want to see him in action before dealing)  And if we keep Arbeloa, who is just as capable a back up as Aurelio and having Insua around as well, Aurelio (who is the best LB at the club still on the books that has played in a red shirt) suddenly has much lower value to our team than he could on the market.  Selling Yossi could be considered as another radical idea because he has not played poorly for us, but I don't see how exactly he is going to fit into our team. I think he really wants to play as a second striker but I think it would be hard for him to unseat Gerrard. And if it was between having both Riera and Yossi in the squad or just David Silva, I am taking Silva every time.

I think the 2nd Xi should be used in cup games like the Fa cup and league cup , would give the youngsters experience and also rafa can have a look at who should be making a push for the first team .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:36 pm

inglis5 wrote:Reina

Mascherano    Barry

Gerrard      Keane    Babel

Torres

Now I've got several problems with this, although it looks pretty good, I don't think that Keane is a creative second striker or somebody you would want to play in the hole. I also think that by putting Gerrard there with nobody outside him you are restricting him. I also would like to see Babel play more on the right and go outside rather than cutting in each time. Also, Mascherano plays best just in front of the back 4, on his own.

An interesting set of line-ups, mate, but I disagree with a few of your points.  First, I think Keane does play "in the hole" a fair bit and quite effectively for Spurs, with Berbatov the classic target man.  I think he'll suit that role behind Torres, operating "between the lines" across a wide swath of the pitch while also getting into the box on a consistent basis for support. 

As for Babel on the right, I'd like to see what happens with him there.  My worry, though, is that he's not a winger by nature and thus, while he might skin a fair few fullbacks along the touchline, he won't get up to much with his crosses and cutbacks.  I have a suspicion that Rafa plays him on the left to encourage him to cut infield onto his right foot and run at defenders/have a lash from distance.  He won't do much of that if he starts wide right.

On to Masch and I disagree that Masch likes to "sit" in front of the back 4 on his own Makalele style.  If you watched him last season, he liked to burst forward a lot: either to bring the ball out of our half or to hunt for the ball when our opponents had possession in midfield.  Indeed, I think that was part of the appeal of the 4-2-3-1 for Rafa: Masch could cover a large part of the pitch while Alonso (or Lucas) stayed home.  If they ventured forward, Masch would sit back.  But, my point is that I don't think Masch is the conventional shield the back 4 type and we might hinder his game a lot if we ask him to sit back there by himself while Gerrard occupies himself in the opponents' final 3rd.

On a last note, I think it is far from certain that we will be getting Barry this summer so teamsheets that have Barry inked in rather firmly (and there are a quite a few I've seen on the boards these days) seem a lot less certain than they did a couple of weeks ago.  We may again be looking at Alonso and Masch playing in behind a "3" who in turn play in behind Torres.  Where Keane fits in that 3 and what that means for Gerrard, Babel and Kuyt is an interesting question.  I guess I'm saying that I'll be a little surprised to see us go to a straight 4-4-2, even if we sign Keane given our lack of natural wide players and Rafa's comments that the fullbacks will provide width this campaign.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby inglis5 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Bad Bob wrote:An interesting set of line-ups, mate, but I disagree with a few of your points.  First, I think Keane does play "in the hole" a fair bit and quite effectively for Spurs, with Berbatov the classic target man.  I think he'll suit that role behind Torres, operating "between the lines" across a wide swath of the pitch while also getting into the box on a consistent basis for support. 

As for Babel on the right, I'd like to see what happens with him there.  My worry, though, is that he's not a winger by nature and thus, while he might skin a fair few fullbacks along the touchline, he won't get up to much with his crosses and cutbacks.  I have a suspicion that Rafa plays him on the left to encourage him to cut infield onto his right foot and run at defenders/have a lash from distance.  He won't do much of that if he starts wide right.

On to Masch and I disagree that Masch likes to "sit" in front of the back 4 on his own Makalele style.  If you watched him last season, he liked to burst forward a lot: either to bring the ball out of our half or to hunt for the ball when our opponents had possession in midfield.  Indeed, I think that was part of the appeal of the 4-2-3-1 for Rafa: Masch could cover a large part of the pitch while Alonso (or Lucas) stayed home.  If they ventured forward, Masch would sit back.  But, my point is that I don't think Masch is the conventional shield the back 4 type and we might hinder his game a lot if we ask him to sit back there by himself while Gerrard occupies himself in the opponents' final 3rd.

On a last note, I think it is far from certain that we will be getting Barry this summer so teamsheets that have Barry inked in rather firmly (and there are a quite a few I've seen on the boards these days) seem a lot less certain than they did a couple of weeks ago.  We may again be looking at Alonso and Masch playing in behind a "3" who in turn play in behind Torres.  Where Keane fits in that 3 and what that means for Gerrard, Babel and Kuyt is an interesting question.  I guess I'm saying that I'll be a little surprised to see us go to a straight 4-4-2, even if we sign Keane given our lack of natural wide players and Rafa's comments that the fullbacks will provide width this campaign.

Yep, can't really argue with anything you say there. Still not sure that if we ar going to spend (the reported) £20 million on a second striker then there isn't a better player out there...

With regards to having two holding players, I think the true benefit of this system would come about with at least one top quality winger. Last season there was so much frustration that we'd dominate the central midfield area but there were only limited options out wide. I love Kuyt and I think he does a tremendous job for us defensively (which is especially important in the big games) but against lesser sides you perhaps need somebody with more invention and trickery with the ability to beat the man and put a quality ball. Then again, if you're employing overlapping full backs then perhaps it isn't necessary to have traditional wingers?

As for Barry coming, you're right, it may not happen. Personally I would still prefer to see Alonso stay at the club. The only benefit I can see of Barry, in comparison, to Alonso, is his versatility. He can play in 3 or 4 positions while Alonso can arguably play in 1 or 2.

Babel's certainly a conundrum. I think that long-term he'll play him in a more central and advanced position. Where Babel would probably excel is in a 3 man (interchanging forward line) similar to what Man U play. This year will be very important for him, I've always presumed that Rafa has been playing him out wide because of the lack of quality wingers at the club and that would be addressed with their arrival in the summer. As it looks like this won't happen perhaps he feels we don't need them?

So, if I take all of what you say on board then how does this look?

Reina

Carragher      Agger       
    Arbelo                                         Dossena
                    Alonso    Mascherano
            Gerrard                          Babel
                         Keane
                                Torres

Anyway, if we can't even figure out what Rafa is doing then I'm not sure the opposition will either. In Rafa I will continue to trust  :)
inglis5

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion