New defender

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:07 am

After today Sammi broken nose and Carra broken rib.
We need to sign a CD before the window closes.
But who?
I think we need someone with Prem experiance but a lot of players wont want to be a bit part player, and Sammi couldnt even get a game last season.

But if we are to compete in all comps we really do need a new CH, Carra isnt getting any younger.
I reckon we should swap Crouch for Richards.

Crouch didnt travel again today he is now 4th choice Torres will not be dropped he's fuckin great :buttrock
Voronin has impressed and Kuyt can be the perfect partnership for Torres, also Kewell and Babel can play in this role.

This is not a dig at Crouch but he will want to be playing every game and we arnt playing long ball football since he hasnt been in the team which is a good thing.

We seriously need a new defender any suggestions who you think Rafa might get before the deadline?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:20 am

Ciggy wrote:After today Sammi broken nose and Carra broken rib.
We need to sign a CD before the window closes.
But who?
I think we need someone with Prem experiance but a lot of players wont want to be a bit part player, and Sammi couldnt even get a game last season.

But if we are to compete in all comps we really do need a new CH, Carra isnt getting any younger.
I reckon we should swap Crouch for Richards.

Crouch didnt travel again today he is now 4th choice Torres will not be dropped he's fuckin great :buttrock
Voronin has impressed and Kuyt can be the perfect partnership for Torres, also Kewell and Babel can play in this role.

This is not a dig at Crouch but he will want to be playing every game and we arnt playing long ball football since he hasnt been in the team which is a good thing.

We seriously need a new defender any suggestions who you think Rafa might get before the deadline?

Hi Ciggy,

I agree we need another defender and i wouldn't mind if we have to sell Crouch to get him. I would love to get Micah Richards but I doubt we would get him. I'm not sure who is available really.
I have a weird feeling that one way or another Crouch is getting sold before the deadline.
heimdall

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:28 am

heimdall wrote:I agree we need another defender and i wouldn't mind if we have to sell Crouch to get him. I would love to get Micah Richards but I doubt we would get him. I'm not sure who is available really.
I have a weird feeling that one way or another Crouch is getting sold before the deadline.

We should have got Distin he was on a free from City Richards has a 10 million pound clause we should pay it and buy him or swap Crouch for him if Darren Bent is worth 16 million then we would get a few bob for Crouch.

I like Crouch dont get me wrong but he isnt the answer he made the difference but lets face it we where so predictable when he played teams had us boxed off.
Now we have other options more options and we need an extra man in defence before this window closes.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:37 am

richards is signing a 4 year deal worth 50 grand a week on monday according to friday's daily mirror, and his agent said everything has been agreed
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:38 am

We're not a selling club, and there's no way we should have to part with a good asset in order to get a player that's not going to walk into our first choice defence. Richards is a very good player, but we don't need him.

Although I think we may well bring in a body to cover the position, I don't think we need to. We still have Agger and Arbeloa that can play there, and those two will be fine for the Toulouse and Derby fixtures, probably with Hobbs coming in and covering on the bench. To be honest, we need players like Hobbs to get a bit more first team experience so that they become more useful as cover, and the next two games are as good a time as any.

By the time Portsmouth away rolls around on September 15th, Hyypia should be available again, Gerrard will be back, and either he or Sissoko could be employed as a centre-back in a severe mid-game emergency.
ivor_the_injun

Postby username » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:42 am

I see arbeloa going in CB if theres no Carra or Agger, putting Risse in left and babel or kewell on the left
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:42 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:We're not a selling club, and there's no way we should have to part with a good asset in order to get a player that's not going to walk into our first choice defence. Richards is a very good player, but we don't need him.

Although I think we may well bring in a body to cover the position, I don't think we need to. We still have Agger and Arbeloa that can play there, and those two will be fine for the Toulouse and Derby fixtures, probably with Hobbs coming in and covering on the bench. To be honest, we need players like Hobbs to get a bit more first team experience so that they become more useful as cover, and the next two games are as good a time as any.

By the time Portsmouth away rolls around on September 15th, Hyypia should be available again, Gerrard will be back, and either he or Sissoko could be employed as a centre-back in a severe mid-game emergency.

Dont think Arbeloa can play CH Ivor, what happens if Carra or Agger get a real serious injury and are out for months we need a new CH.

Even if Crouch stays I cant see him being happy being 4th in the pecking order TBH.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:46 am

Ciggy's proposal sounds tempting, and what ivor says makes a lot of sense too. I'd need to know how much time they're going to be injured, to take sides.

However I wouldn't sell Crouch whatsoever. The new owners seem to have money and Rafa was ready to spend money on Heinze without selling. Crouch won't be probably our top scorer this season but he'll give us points more than once, and the very injury of these CB shows the importance of having a deep squad.

In case they decide to sign up Ciggy asks for experience in the premiership and I agree. Plus, only Cannavaro and 1 or 2 more are good enough to be worthwhile the effort in the spanish league.

It makes me angry the Heinze situation even more now, because he's always played as a CB before becoming a LB in England, and he should be in Liverpool as we speak.

Arbeloa played as CB in Deportivo, and can do the job, that's true. But he's nowhere near the quality of Carra
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:48 am

It was my understanding that he played right back and centre back at Madrid and La Coruna, and that we're actually playing him out of the position he's grown up playing by bunging him at left back. Have I got this t*ts up somehow?

As for Crouch, I think it's pretty simple. He'll play against Toulouse I reckon, and he'll have to impress to stay in the side. I think that goes for all four of our strikers this season, and with Torres looking fantastic, Kuyt doing good work outside the box, and Voronin scoring and putting himself about, Crouch needs an eye-catching display, and probably goals to put himself in contention for Derby next weekend. We have three strikers in form at the moment, and a poor game this season doesn't just keep you out of the starting 11, it keeps you off the bench.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:52 am

Sabre wrote:It makes me angry the Heinze situation even more now, because he's always played as a CB before becoming a LB in England, and he should be in Liverpool as we speak.

But Sabre Rafa was a bit naive if he put all his eggs in one basket reguarding Heinze he was never going to come to us.
Maybe Rafa didnt realise the actual hatred and bitterness from that whiskey nosed corned beed faced kunt.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:54 am

I wouldn't like to see Crouch leave, unless we received a silly offer - which I don't think we will.

I think he'll be needed, he is a great option to have. We have so many options now, we can vary our attack like no other team.

Even if he only starts 10 league matches, he may just be crucial.

Nevertheless, I still think strengthening with a defender would be helpful.

I don't think we'd be able to sign Richards, and I doubt he has a release clause of £10m - I suspect Chelsea would have matched it by now if he did.

Ideally we'd sign someone who can also play at left back, but I can't think of anyone glaringly obvious.

I can think of a few players who may be realistic signings - but I don't know too much about them, just a few names to add to the pot: Curtis Davies, Per mertesacker, John Heitinga, Tomas Hubschmann, Vincent Kompany.

But TBH, Hyypia is more than capable of doing a job in the meantime.

We perhaps need to phase another CB into the equation over this season and the next given the respective ages of Carra and Hyypia though.
LFC2007

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:59 am

On the plus side, thank god we loaned Paletta out last week. If he'd still been in the country...

I think Hobbs as back-up for Toulouse, and hopefully Hyypia will be available as a black-eyed option next weekend.
ivor_the_injun

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:06 am

Momo can't play in CB, best position for him is DM or CM.

We need new sweeper or CB. Hope that Rafa will break the bank again, someone like Micah Richards (cash with PC ), Fabricio Coloccini, Milito, Daniele Bonera, Cristian Chivu, Philippe Mexes, Sergio Ramos but my first choice is Vincent Kompany and Anthony Vanden Borre (maybe 20m for these two )
LiverpoolMadman

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:11 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Momo can't play in CB, best position for him is DM or CM.

We need new sweeper or CB. Hope that Rafa will break the bank again, someone like Micah Richards (cash with PC ), Fabricio Coloccini, Milito, Daniele Bonera, Cristian Chivu, Philippe Mexes, Sergio Ramos but my first choice is Vincent Kompany and Anthony Vanden Borre (maybe 20m for these two )

Who ever said Momo could play as a CB?
???

Chivu has signed for Inter, that one ain't gonna happen.

Mexes wants to stay with Roma, that won't happen.

Ramos will not leave Madrid or would cost astronomical money in any case.

Milito has signed for Barca, not going to happen.

Bonera is relatively new at Milan, not going to happen.

Coloccini is average, but perhaps he is a vague possibility.

Van den Borre has just joined Fiorentina, not going to happen.

Really, Kompany is the only player out of your shortlist who may be an option.
LFC2007

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:15 am

LFC2007 wrote:
LiverpoolMadman wrote:Momo can't play in CB, best position for him is DM or CM.

Who ever said Momo could play as a CB?
???

Cisse :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion