New defender

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:30 pm

Carra has a collapsed lung our for about 6 weeks  :down:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:31 pm

red37 wrote:
Red Dotty wrote:John Terry could cover till JC gets back we should be able to get him as he would want a big club

Although When JC gets back he may find he spends time fighting for a position on the bench :help

Random post that mate. Don't want that spacehopper headed c*nt anywhere near our club.  How do you reckon "we should be able to get him" anyway  ???

Going to have to be someone else there.

He was being sarcastic.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:39 pm

Ciggy wrote:Carra has a collapsed lung our for about 6 weeks  :down:

Its kind of like, every game he goes into...your fingers (and every thing else) is crossed in hope that he gets through it. We take that lad for granted at times the way he seems made of Rock.  Well, now is the time to see how the rest of the lads deal with his loss.

Gerrard we can cope without in short bursts. We've coped without a few others over the years...this one will be a real acid test of the squad. The only 'upside' is, its come early on.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby destro » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:39 pm

We need an Irony smiley and a Sarcastic one, the famous Scouse wit is being lost intranslation   :D
destro

Postby red37 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:41 pm

destro wrote:We need an Irony smiley and a Sarcastic one, the famous Scouse wit is being lost intranslation   :D

nah not at all..

Its usually what happens when you dive into a thread and don't read the poster(s) regularly enough. We've all done it.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:18 pm

RB options: Finnan, Arbeloa, Darby, Gerrard (was his first position I think, plus we are loaded and injury free at CM right now)
CB options: Carra, Agger, Hyypia, Arbeloa, Hobbs,
LB options: Arbeloa, Riise, Aurelio, Insua, Threlfall,
If Carra and Hyypia aren't fit, you are left with:
Finnan    Arbeloa       Agger     Riise   and one of Darby, Hobbs, Insua or Threlfall on the bench.
Keep in mind that we have depth and quality at Defensive Midfield as well, and could play:
Mascherano, Momo, Alonso, Gerrard, Leiva, or Spearing just in front of the back 4 for extra support if we felt we were weak in defense.
JoeTerp

Postby AB's Red Army » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:13 pm

JoeTerp wrote:RB options: Finnan, Arbeloa, Darby, Gerrard (was his first position I think, plus we are loaded and injury free at CM right now)
CB options: Carra, Agger, Hyypia, Arbeloa, Hobbs,
LB options: Arbeloa, Riise, Aurelio, Insua, Threlfall,
If Carra and Hyypia aren't fit, you are left with:
Finnan    Arbeloa       Agger     Riise   and one of Darby, Hobbs, Insua or Threlfall on the bench.
Keep in mind that we have depth and quality at Defensive Midfield as well, and could play:
Mascherano, Momo, Alonso, Gerrard, Leiva, or Spearing just in front of the back 4 for extra support if we felt we were weak in defense.

1. Arbeloa is a natural CB but he doesn't have the physical attributes to play in such a position in England. He's not strong enough to do so, he needs to bulk up a bit.
2. Hobbs is not good enough, not any better than Paletta and he's the last thing I want to see come in for replacement for Carragher.
3. With Carragher being out for a month or so, I don't want any of our midfielders playing at the back. It's not going to work and by the time we get adjusted, we will have had already lost a number of points.

We should had bought a CB before this injury and this is Rafa's mistake, now we have only a couple of days left and with limited options.

I fear for us, especially if the best we can do is another Pellegrino.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:24 pm

AB's Red Army wrote:We should had bought a CB before this injury and this is Rafa's mistake, now we have only a couple of days left and with limited options.

Rafa's mistake?

How?, he tried to sign Heinze.

It didn't come off.

He'll now try for someone else.

Do you really think he would revert to a Pellegrino type signing?

I think he's learnt a lot since then, and at least now we have decent money to spend on a centre back.

You can't legislate for the injuries to Carra and Hyypia all of a sudden.
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:36 pm

Why not go for Sol Campbell as a temporary measure. Hes got the experience and ability and im sure hed love to play in the champs league. And if anyone says "are you dumb or something? try raise your football knowledge a bit by watching everton you thick (add insult here)" just say "errrr no" instead then i'll get the idea!
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AB's Red Army » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:34 am

LFC2007 wrote:
AB's Red Army wrote:We should had bought a CB before this injury and this is Rafa's mistake, now we have only a couple of days left and with limited options.

Rafa's mistake?

How?, he tried to sign Heinze.

It didn't come off.

He'll now try for someone else.

Do you really think he would revert to a Pellegrino type signing?

I think he's learnt a lot since then, and at least now we have decent money to spend on a centre back.

You can't legislate for the injuries to Carra and Hyypia all of a sudden.

Ever heard of don't place all of your eggs in one basket?  ???
AB's Red Army

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:20 am

AB's Red Army wrote:Ever heard of don't place all of your eggs in one basket?  ???

Yes I have, and Rafa's not guilty of that.

He was waiting for the Heinze transfer to be ratified. It was not, now he has to move for a new target.

We have been incredibly unlucky with Carra and Hyypia suddenly injured, and the transfer deadline has not yet passed.

There is no mistake on Rafa's part.
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:27 am

LFC2007 wrote:
AB's Red Army wrote:Ever heard of don't place all of your eggs in one basket?  ???

He was waiting for the Heinze transfer to be ratified. It was not now he has to move for a new target.

We have been incredibly unlucky with Carra and Hyypia suddenly injured, and the transfer deadline has not yet passed.

I disagree, Both players have showed constantly what great players they are because they have been injury free. Over the years, considering the trophys we have been fighting for, Carra has been injury free, barring the odd injury that has kept him out for a week or so. This must be his first serious injury so in that respect, we have been lucky.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:30 am

Kharhaz wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

He was waiting for the Heinze transfer to be ratified. It was not now he has to move for a new target.

I disagree, Both players have showed constantly what great players they are because they have been injury free. Over the years, considering the trophys we have been fighting for, Carra has been injury free, barring the odd injury that has kept him out for a week or so. This must be his first serious injury so in that respect, we have been lucky.

Well that takes my point vastly out of context. I was not referring to their long term reliability. I was referring to the short term injuries of both at the same time, a time when we are starting to excel.
LFC2007

Postby AB's Red Army » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:31 am

LFC2007 wrote:

You do realize that the transfer was ratified only a couple of days ago? He had plenty of time from May and onwards to find a defender suitable for replacing either Carragher or Hyypia.

For some reason he believed that he could sign a player from Man United. It was never going to happen and why he believed that, I don't know. I seriously doubt it's because he doesn't understand the history between the two clubs, he does but it was never going to happen nor was it going to be resolved quickly.

In conclusion, it his fault. Another option should had been founded in case Heinze wasn't signed, and he should be signed.

Thankfully Hyypia can play on Tuesday and onwards, but we need another defender [central defender].
AB's Red Army

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:42 am

AB's Red Army wrote:You do realize that the transfer was ratified only a couple of days ago? He had plenty of time from May and onwards to find a defender suitable for replacing either Carragher or Hyypia.

For some reason he believed that he could sign a player from Man United. It was never going to happen and why he believed that, I don't know. I seriously doubt it's because he doesn't understand the history between the two clubs, he does but it was never going to happen nor was it going to be resolved quickly.

In conclusion, it his fault. Another option should had been founded in case Heinze wasn't signed, and he should be signed.

Thankfully Hyypia can play on Tuesday and onwards, but we need another defender [central defender].

The transfer of Heinze to us was not ratified, it was rejected.

He (Rafa) had time from May onwards to scout players, but bear in mind we are always looking for players - it is not a periodical process.

He found Heinze in that time, and no doubt there were and still are alternative targets.

He was forced to wait until the 20th to find out the decision with Heinze.

Our interest in Heinze was registered well before that date. What does Rafa do? You cannot approach other targets and say to their respective clubs "please wait until the Heinze decision is made before we get back to you with a firm proposal". Clubs are preparing for the season, clubs need to know if they can find replacements themselves.

In retrospect it's very easy for you to say the Heinze transfer "was never going to happen".

If Rafa receives assurances from Lawyers confident of the case being approved in their favour then he must respect their expertise. Rafa is no expert in English Law. Your 'history' between the two clubs argument is irrelevant, it was a matter of legality.

In any case, the transfer window is still open, there is no mistake on Rafa's part.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion