NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:24 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:16 pm wrote:
number 8 ynwa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:34 pm wrote:Hey, I suppose we could just go out and buy 4 - 5 players no matter whether they are considered the right players by our manager, you know like really top internationals, just like Man City have done - coz we can see how well they are doing.. oh, hold on.....

To be fair to City over the past 5 years they have won the title twice and finished runners up twice so their policy of having a deep squad has hardly been a wash out. In contrast our record over the past 26/27 years has been 3 runners up spots.
No one is advocating throwing money around like a drunken sailor but given how attritional this league is and given our bench is usually full of youngsters each week you'd think adding one or two to the squad wouldn't be overly ostentatious.

Exactly...
I don't understand why some on here are trying to defend our inactivity in the transfer market. I can't for a minute believe that Klopp could not find 1-2 players who could be useful and strengthen the squad in the whole wide world. You would think that Klopp is having to do scouting by himself...
We have gotten rid of so many players who Klopp feels that he doesn't need them and I'm not knocking that. But now it is time for him to add players he wants, especially when he feels that Sturridge and Sakho are not in his plans. I think the inactivity may explain some things, such as:

1. maybe it has been agreed that we are not challenging for the title this season and finishing top 4 is enough
2. the long term goal is taking priority to the short term goal
3. maybe making use of and developing the youth players takes a precedence.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Come on Eds keep it real. When have I ever said that FSG are amazing? Extremist opinion? That's just being a bit silly mate. Try reading your own tedious negative drivel, especially about your best mate Brendan, if you need examples of extremism. You keep on banging the same worn out drum. You are simply incapable  of giving the owners credit for virtually anything so please don't have a go at me for adding a positive slant. To suggest the owners are clowns suggests that you are cerebrally challenged.

You endlessly criticise the owners and yet you give Klopp, who they appointed, masses of credit. I like Klopp but he certainly is not beyond criticism. Using Karius has cost us. Sunderland and West Ham !! Dismissing certain players has also possibly cost us. Sakho clearly is not the easiest to manage but that is why Klopp is paid £7.5m a year and to simply bin the lad to me is unacceptable. His management of Sturridge also raise a lot of questions.  Guardiola is paid £15m a year and basically behaved like a spoilt brat when he had some well publicised problems with Toure and refusing to play him until he apologised looks and that also looks as if it might be very costly. Given what City have spent I personally think they should have won a lot more. Their efforts in the CL can only be described as poor. Their defence is very average as demonstrated against Everton and they haven't rectifified that with all the money in the world and a non restrictive transfer policy.

You actually seem to very naively think that we can go out and buy whoever we want. I have news for you Eds - WE CANT !!
It was never going to be a quick fix after after H & G and unless we can clearly demonstrate consistent progression an regular CL qualification we will continue to struggle in the transfer market when it comes to buying the gelacticos that you desire. Ok Mané and Carroll don't fit your age range of 27/28 but they both cost between £30m and £35m so to suggest that FSG are not prepared to spend money is a little idiotic. There are also numerous purchases under the FSG stewardship that are in the £20m to £30m range which isn't actually chicken feed. Just look at Pogba's performance yesterday and he cost £89m !! I could go on but I'm probably wasting my time !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:12 pm

FSG will often cough up for fees but absolutely wont move on wages, and Im still dont know if Klopp is a bit like Wenger in the market or simply happy to follow club policy, unlike Rafa who was always bleating about transfer funds.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:31 pm

I was having a whinge about this to my brother today (us not spending any money) and he just said it's obviously down to the right players not being available. As he said if Dortmund would have said to us we could have Pulisic does anyone believe Jurgen wouldnt have got the chequebook out? Same with Draxler, if Draxler would have said in the papers that he preferred to come here instead of Paris does anyone believe that deal wouldn't have been done?
As my brother said yes it's frustrating and yes we are in a title race but Jurgen is obviously planning to be here for many title races and he's looking at the long game, he doesnt want any arl shyte cluttering up his squad. When the right players become available, he will buy them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:55 pm

FSG and Klopp weren't afraid to spend £34mil on Mane when no one else thought he was worth that much. They did it because ultimately Klopp wanted him. So I just think it about the right player actually being available.
Eagle

Postby Doeboy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:40 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:31 pm wrote:I was having a whinge about this to my brother today (us not spending any money) and he just said it's obviously down to the right players not being available. As he said if Dortmund would have said to us we could have Pulisic does anyone believe Jurgen wouldnt have got the chequebook out? Same with Draxler, if Draxler would have said in the papers that he preferred to come here instead of Paris does anyone believe that deal wouldn't have been done?
As my brother said yes it's frustrating and yes we are in a title race but Jurgen is obviously planning to be here for many title races and he's looking at the long game, he doesnt want any arl shyte cluttering up his squad. When the right players become available, he will buy them.

Definitely is part of the problem. I mean, if a club doesn't want to sell, not much you can do. Trying to buy a player off Dortmund when they want to keep hold of that player is a lot different to buying one of Southampton. Similarly,  if a player wants to join another club, not much we can do really as we found out with Alexis Sanchez.

Got to admit, when I heard how we lost out on Dele Alli after apparently agreeing a fee but then going back to his club and trying to bring the price down and hence the deal falling through, did make me think wtf are FSG playing at. I mean the way the market is going, they would have got their money back if it didn't work out but more likely made a profit and now spurs have a player who is probably worth x10 the fee they got him for
Doeboy

Postby Reg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:58 am

parchpea » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:12 am wrote:FSG will often cough up for fees but absolutely wont move on wages, and Im still dont know if Klopp is a bit like Wenger in the market or simply happy to follow club policy, unlike Rafa who was always bleating about transfer funds.

Hang on you're not comparing apples with apples, Rafa had H&G to contend with who's gameplan was to suck the club dry and bankrupt us, not provide transfer funds....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:03 am

Doeboy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:31 pm wrote:I was having a whinge about this to my brother today (us not spending any money) and he just said it's obviously down to the right players not being available. As he said if Dortmund would have said to us we could have Pulisic does anyone believe Jurgen wouldnt have got the chequebook out? Same with Draxler, if Draxler would have said in the papers that he preferred to come here instead of Paris does anyone believe that deal wouldn't have been done?

Definitely is part of the problem. I mean, if a club doesn't want to sell, not much you can do. Trying to buy a player off Dortmund when they want to keep hold of that player is a lot different to buying one of Southampton. Similarly,  if a player wants to join another club, not much we can do really as we found out with Alexis Sanchez.

Got to admit, when I heard how we lost out on Dele Alli after apparently agreeing a fee but then going back to his club and trying to bring the price down and hence the deal falling through, did make me think wtf are FSG playing at. I mean the way the market is going, they would have got their money back if it didn't work out but more likely made a profit and now spurs have a player who is probably worth x10 the fee they got him for

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -week.html
The journey towards Liverpool’s and Tottenham Hotspur’s contrasting present positions began around this time two years ago when Brendan Rodgers implied he wouldn’t follow Spurs by wasting £100m on duff players. The next afternoon Liverpool thrashed Tim Sherwood’s team; setting Sherwood on a direct course for the sack and Liverpool, seemingly, to the title.

Six days later Rodgers met Dele Alli in London and did not have to work too hard to convince the player that Anfield was the place for him. Alli’s manager at MK Dons was Karl Robinson, a Merseyside native, a Liverpool supporter and someone who began his coaching career under the legendary Steve Heighway on the windy fields of the club’s academy in Kirkby. Alli’s hero was Steven Gerrard.

When Alli later travelled to Liverpool for a grand guided tour of the Melwood training complex, however, Gerrard did not know he was there because he was sleeping ahead of a game and nobody present considered it prudent to wake him.

The process of the transfer proceeded to drag for months, with Liverpool not willing to meet the asking price. When an agreement was finally reached in November 2014, the deal would earn MK Dons around £3million.

Suddenly, though, someone at Liverpool decided it was worth trying to negotiate the offer to club and player down by half and with that, discussions stalled again. The line of contact soon fell quiet, much to Robinson’s and MK Dons’ frustration and disappointment.
Sherwood’s successor, Maurico Pochettino, appreciated he was behind Liverpool in the queue for Alli and yet, he stamped the midfielder’s enlistment with priority status. Alli’s subsequent development has made the £5m fee that took him to White Hart Lane seem like loose change.

Former Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has recalled how 'frustrating and disappointing' it was that the club failed to sign Dele Alli despite prolonged negotiations with the player, with Tottenham clinching his bargain £5million signing from MK Dons.
However, it is understood Liverpool's American owners regarded Alli, quickly emerging as one of the stand-out stars in the Premier League, to be just a promising Under-21 prospect and were going to pay him accordingly — about £4,000 a week.
Alli, still only 19, instead joined Spurs in January 2015 before heading back to MK Dons for the remainder of last season and helping them to win promotion to the Championship.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 am

devaney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:59 pm wrote:Come on Eds keep it real. When have I ever said that FSG are amazing? Extremist opinion? That's just being a bit silly mate. Try reading your own tedious negative drivel, especially about your best mate Brendan, if you need examples of extremism. You keep on banging the same worn out drum. You are simply incapable  of giving the owners credit for virtually anything so please don't have a go at me for adding a positive slant. To suggest the owners are clowns suggests that you are cerebrally challenged.

You endlessly criticise the owners and yet you give Klopp, who they appointed, masses of credit. I like Klopp but he certainly is not beyond criticism. Using Karius has cost us. Sunderland and West Ham !! Dismissing certain players has also possibly cost us. Sakho clearly is not the easiest to manage but that is why Klopp is paid £7.5m a year and to simply bin the lad to me is unacceptable. His management of Sturridge also raise a lot of questions.  Guardiola is paid £15m a year and basically behaved like a spoilt brat when he had some well publicised problems with Toure and refusing to play him until he apologised looks and that also looks as if it might be very costly. Given what City have spent I personally think they should have won a lot more. Their efforts in the CL can only be described as poor. Their defence is very average as demonstrated against Everton and they haven't rectifified that with all the money in the world and a non restrictive transfer policy.

You actually seem to very naively think that we can go out and buy whoever we want. I have news for you Eds - WE CANT !!
It was never going to be a quick fix after after H & G and unless we can clearly demonstrate consistent progression an regular CL qualification we will continue to struggle in the transfer market when it comes to buying the gelacticos that you desire. Ok Mané and Carroll don't fit your age range of 27/28 but they both cost between £30m and £35m so to suggest that FSG are not prepared to spend money is a little idiotic. There are also numerous purchases under the FSG stewardship that are in the £20m to £30m range which isn't actually chicken feed. Just look at Pogba's performance yesterday and he cost £89m !! I could go on but I'm probably wasting my time !!

This again.....  :Oo:

1) I'm not an "extremist" for thinking Rodgers was a flog, if you would do a survey of most people on this forum you and Leeroy Jenkins would be the only peanuts who would still defend his "legacy". Nice try bringing him up again and continue to defending him again for the umpteenth tho :laugh:

2) I have credited the owners for what they have done off the field on several occasions. You simply choose to think that I have never praised them because of the very real criticism I constantly bring up against them. Those are two completely different things.

3) Once again I have criticised Klopp on a number of occasions, he certainly isn't infallible but nonetheless aren't stupid enough to recognise that he is performing miracles at the moment with the restrictive policies FSG have placed on our club. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that as someone mentioned above he is similar to Wenger in the way that he decides to buy players. The fundamental problem is that this will only stablise us as potentially a top 4 club every season (if we are lucky) without necessarily winning anything. Arsenal have become so complacent now that this model seems to have entrenched most of their fan's psyche in that they think they are "successful" because they are profitable and are in the CL every season, I fear you seem to believe in the same flawed ideology.

4) FOR THE LAST TIME I DON'T THINK WE CAN SPEND STUPID MONEY ON ANY PLAYER WE WANT. IT'S AN IDIOTIC COUNTER ARGUMENT YOU HAVE RAISED A RIDICULOUS NUMBER OF TIMES.

My main argument has always been highlighting the massive flaws in FSG's player transfer strategy. All fine and good to bring in under 25yo's and yes sometimes we will pay large sums to do so (i.e. Mane, Firminho, etc) but at the expense of not bringing in any established players is just stupid. Recently Milner is probably the only player that fits outside of that and surprise, surprise he was a "free transfer". To compound things we won't keep our better players if they want to leave. This is simply the equivalent of building a sandcastle while the tide is coming in. All because FSG don't want to lose massive amounts of money when players start to decline in their late 20 and early 30s and aren't worth much on the transfer market. We are a feeder club that will become richer and richer over time as we sell our better players and "fans" like you talk up how wonderful we are because our profits keep growing each year  :no

5) and the result of all of this........1 trophy in 6 years
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Doeboy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:03 am

maguskwt » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:03 am wrote:
Doeboy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 pm wrote:

The journey towards Liverpool’s and Tottenham Hotspur’s contrasting present positions began around this time two years ago when Brendan Rodgers implied he wouldn’t follow Spurs by wasting £100m on duff players. The next afternoon Liverpool thrashed Tim Sherwood’s team; setting Sherwood on a direct course for the sack and Liverpool, seemingly, to the title.

Six days later Rodgers met Dele Alli in London and did not have to work too hard to convince the player that Anfield was the place for him. Alli’s manager at MK Dons was Karl Robinson, a Merseyside native, a Liverpool supporter and someone who began his coaching career under the legendary Steve Heighway on the windy fields of the club’s academy in Kirkby. Alli’s hero was Steven Gerrard.

When Alli later travelled to Liverpool for a grand guided tour of the Melwood training complex, however, Gerrard did not know he was there because he was sleeping ahead of a game and nobody present considered it prudent to wake him.

The process of the transfer proceeded to drag for months, with Liverpool not willing to meet the asking price. When an agreement was finally reached in November 2014, the deal would earn MK Dons around £3million.

Suddenly, though, someone at Liverpool decided it was worth trying to negotiate the offer to club and player down by half and with that, discussions stalled again. The line of contact soon fell quiet, much to Robinson’s and MK Dons’ frustration and disappointment.
Sherwood’s successor, Maurico Pochettino, appreciated he was behind Liverpool in the queue for Alli and yet, he stamped the midfielder’s enlistment with priority status. Alli’s subsequent development has made the £5m fee that took him to White Hart Lane seem like loose change.

Former Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has recalled how 'frustrating and disappointing' it was that the club failed to sign Dele Alli despite prolonged negotiations with the player, with Tottenham clinching his bargain £5million signing from MK Dons.
However, it is understood Liverpool's American owners regarded Alli, quickly emerging as one of the stand-out stars in the Premier League, to be just a promising Under-21 prospect and were going to pay him accordingly — about £4,000 a week.
Alli, still only 19, instead joined Spurs in January 2015 before heading back to MK Dons for the remainder of last season and helping them to win promotion to the Championship.

All sounds very small time to be honest. Agreeing a £3m fee then going back and trying to reduce is when the kid clearly has the talent and is a regular for MK Dons  :no . Anyway, done now and let's hope we don't miss out in the future due to this kind of penny pinching
Doeboy

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:41 pm

EDS wrote:
1) I'm not an "extremist" for thinking Rodgers was a flog, if you would do a survey of most people on this forum you and Leeroy Jenkins would be the only peanuts who would still defend his "legacy".

OK c*nt listen up and listen real f*cking good. For the umpteenth time I was relieved when BR went. I just didn't agree with supporters name calling the current manager. I've said it loads of time but only you seem to not be able to understand it. Now leave me out of your handbag fights.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Sorry Eds can't be bothered.

Blah de blah de fkg blah

It's a little bit like having a conversation with a spoilt child. I actually support the club warts and all. I don't resort to calling owners idiots and managers snake oil merchants when that is a country mile from the truth !! And please do not think that you are right simply because only a couple of people on this somewhat select (poorly subscribed) forum take you to task !! Let's face it most people cannot be bothered with your monotonous childish rants.I certainly don't see many people agreeing with your views.Trying standing on the Kop (the address is on the LFC's website) if you want the view of real supporters rather than internet warriors !!

I would have preferred that you actually answered my question about City's failings rather than wittering on about Wenger who is the longest serving manager in the Premiership.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:10 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:31 pm wrote:I was having a whinge about this to my brother today (us not spending any money) and he just said it's obviously down to the right players not being available. As he said if Dortmund would have said to us we could have Pulisic does anyone believe Jurgen wouldnt have got the chequebook out? Same with Draxler, if Draxler would have said in the papers that he preferred to come here instead of Paris does anyone believe that deal wouldn't have been done?

Feck me yakka I wasn't aware you were Ayre's brother  :laugh: You kept that one quiet...
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:01 am

devaney » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:59 pm wrote:
I would have preferred that you actually answered my question about City's failings rather than wittering on about Wenger who is the longest serving manager in the Premiership.

Failings?!?! What exactly are you on about Dev?

City's standings in the last 5 seasons have been:

2010 - 2011: 3rd
2011 - 2012: 1st
2012 - 2013: 2nd
2013 - 2014: 1st
2014 - 2015: 2nd

On top of being the CL every season, they won 2 League Cups and FA Cup in that time. My thoughts are they should never have got rid of Pelligrini and for the sake of "club perception" they brought in Guardiola, who has struggled in his first season. That being said they are still far and away the most successful team in the country this decade but by your myopic view that they are struggling in the last few games, you seem to think they are failures  :laugh:

You have a very, very strange way of seeing the world.

I'm beginning to understand why you seem to think there is nothing wrong with FSG. It's simple you are a f**king loony........
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby devaney » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:28 am

Ffs Eds are you a politician. Instead of a collection of drivel that I'm well aware of answer the questions. Why have City failed so badly in Europe? Why have they failed with all the money in the world to buy a decent defence? And is winning the league twice (and one of them with literally the last kick of the seasons he to my delight) in 5 years with the money they have spent really that impressive.If simply buying success is what you are about then we will never agree on anything.

You witter on endlessly about FSG's transfer policy but just where is your evidence that they simply buy younger players so that they can make a profit. And please do not use Suarez as an example or Sterling. Whether you like it or not when Clubs with considerably more money make offers then just how do you manage to keep a player that wants to leave. Chelsea have got shed loads of the stuff but it doesn't stop a Chinese club with even more money trying to buy Costa.

And stop upsetting Leeroy   :laugh:
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member