NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby johnbarnes » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 am

eds » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 am wrote:Hate trade unionists Reg.

As for evidence where do you want me to start.....

Costa
Eriksen
Willan
Salah
Montoya
Mkhitaryan
Konoplyanka
Sanchez
Shakiri

The list of missed targets is endless showcasing this clowns inability to sign key targets. The Sanchez one is the one that burns the most though. Incompetence at its worst. 

Oh and then there is this pearler I read a few weeks back (more to do with your beloved owners than your "favourite" man Ayre though):

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/06/liverpool-missed-out-on-dele-alli-because-owners-would-only-pay-him-4k-5665538/

Putting a $4k a week salary cap on players under 21 doesn't surprise me though, these Boston muppets have no idea. 6 YEARS and counting........

:no

Most of these players (and their agents) probably viewed the previous management team as the real reason for any collapse of a deal.
The CEO is just the messenger and easy target to poke at IMO.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Whether we like it or not geography is also a very important criteria. The players quoted are all multi millionaires and lifestyle is extremely important to not only them but also their partners. One of the reasons Sanchez went to Arsenal was because his model partner also wanted to live in London for work reasons. Several of the players quoted have opted for clubs with a lot more money than LFC and that are located in more fashionable areas of the country. Champion League football is also a determining factor. As long as clubs like Manchester City and Manchester United are prepared to pay obscene amounts of money for kids (Sterling £49m - Martial £58m) then we will continue to find life difficult in the transfer market. I find the naivety of some fans nothing short of amazing. Their business acumen certainly scores a big fat zero. Extremely easy to single out Ayres as the key reason for us not persuading certain players to join LFC. Personally I am prepared to look at the bigger picture.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:30 pm

eds » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:53 am wrote:The list of missed targets is endless showcasing this clowns inability to sign key targets. The Sanchez one is the one that burns the most though. Incompetence at its worst. 

Eds, I have no problem with your constant castigating of those operating in the higher echelons of the clubs business, Ayre is certainly one I'd like to see the back of.

However, in the interest of fairness and perhaps a balanced perspective everything I've read about the Sanchez transfer repeatedly reports that Sanchez was only prepared to agree terms with a premiership club that virtually guaranteed Champions League football AND (to keep his wife onside) was preferably in London.

If those reports are correct only Arsenal and Chelsea had any realistic chance of bringing him to the premiership, I don't blame anyone within the Liverpool hierarchy for our failure to sign Sanchez, furthermore I wasn't even disappointed.

Good player that he is he's hardly been pulling up any trees at Arsenal during his second season with them when most would've assumed he would by now be acclimatised to premiership footy and would be building on his first seasons performances.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Pig Catcher » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Ayre has done a decent job overall. When he became the “man on the ground” straight after FSG rescued us from administration the club was in a mess financially and operationally. Under his leadership the club has stabilised financially and has been put on the footing for possible prosperity. His primary brief after the takeover would have been to oversee financial stabilisation and he has done that.

Most fans will judge him solely on transfers but the truth is that’s only one small part of his job and the majority of his role in this area is likely to be negotiating with agents and clubs. Targets will be identified by others and financial limits I imagine are driven by transfer committee consensus. And it’s well known that the head of recruitment and Mike Gordon have also negotiated with agents and clubs. Personally I think this role should be separated from the CEO.

The work he has done on the commercial side both before and after becoming CEO has been very good. Considering how far we were behind we’ve made a lot of ground quickly to catch up with the other big clubs. He’ll also have had a major role in stadium expansion which looks as though it’s going to be a big success. Obviously there have been failures such as the ***** up on ticket pricing which I’m sure he was a pivotal part off and poor leadership over the Suarez/Evra incident, but on the whole I think he deserves a little less abuse and little more credit.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:19 pm

Pig Catcher » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:59 pm wrote:Ayre has done a decent job overall. When he became the “man on the ground” straight after FSG rescued us from administration the club was in a mess financially and operationally. Under his leadership the club has stabilised financially and has been put on the footing for possible prosperity. His primary brief after the takeover would have been to oversee financial stabilisation and he has done that.

Most fans will judge him solely on transfers but the truth is that’s only one small part of his job and the majority of his role in this area is likely to be negotiating with agents and clubs. Targets will be identified by others and financial limits I imagine are driven by transfer committee consensus. And it’s well known that the head of recruitment and Mike Gordon have also negotiated with agents and clubs. Personally I think this role should be separated from the CEO.

The work he has done on the commercial side both before and after becoming CEO has been very good. Considering how far we were behind we’ve made a lot of ground quickly to catch up with the other big clubs. He’ll also have had a major role in stadium expansion which looks as though it’s going to be a big success. Obviously there have been failures such as the ***** up on ticket pricing which I’m sure he was a pivotal part off and poor leadership over the Suarez/Evra incident, but on the whole I think he deserves a little less abuse and little more credit.

Excellent post. Good to see somebody looking at the broader picture and actually remembering that LFC is a business and not a registered charity.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:08 pm

devaney » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:13 pm wrote:Whether we like it or not geography is also a very important criteria. The players quoted are all multi millionaires and lifestyle is extremely important to not only them but also their partners. One of the reasons Sanchez went to Arsenal was because his model partner also wanted to live in London for work reasons. Several of the players quoted have opted for clubs with a lot more money than LFC and that are located in more fashionable areas of the country. Champion League football is also a determining factor. As long as clubs like Manchester City and Manchester United are prepared to pay obscene amounts of money for kids (Sterling £49m - Martial £58m) then we will continue to find life difficult in the transfer market. I find the naivety of some fans nothing short of amazing. Their business acumen certainly scores a big fat zero. Extremely easy to single out Ayres as the key reason for us not persuading certain players to join LFC. Personally I am prepared to look at the bigger picture.

Geography? What an odd excuse to be throwing about?

Did geography stop this club from signing Suarez, Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Coutinho and Sturridge?

On the other hand you are saying that players opt for clubs with more money? Make up your mind.

Geography has NOTHING to do with it, it's money and that's it. Why else are players now moving to the middle east and China to get paid crazy amounts.......... 

Business acumen as you so eloquently put it, means understanding how much is needed to bring over a player. Especially when you are competing with other clubs.

If you bother doing some reading on the players I have listed, mostly all of them have fallen through because Ayre and this club couldn't or wouldn't pay either the clubs what they wanted or the players enough to come over here.

Bigger picture. Have I missed something here? What could be bigger than improving the club's starting XI and our side? Only to miss out on signing key players time and time again.
Last edited by eds on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby eds » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:16 pm

woof woof ! » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:30 pm wrote:
eds » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:53 am wrote:The list of missed targets is endless showcasing this clowns inability to sign key targets. The Sanchez one is the one that burns the most though. Incompetence at its worst. 

Eds, I have no problem with your constant castigating of those operating in the higher echelons of the clubs business, Ayre is certainly one I'd like to see the back of.

However, in the interest of fairness and perhaps a balanced perspective everything I've read about the Sanchez transfer repeatedly reports that Sanchez was only prepared to agree terms with a premiership club that virtually guaranteed Champions League football AND (to keep his wife onside) was preferably in London.

If those reports are correct only Arsenal and Chelsea had any realistic chance of bringing him to the premiership, I don't blame anyone within the Liverpool hierarchy for our failure to sign Sanchez, furthermore I wasn't even disappointed.

Good player that he is he's hardly been pulling up any trees at Arsenal during his second season with them when most would've assumed he would by now be acclimatised to premiership footy and would be building on his first seasons performances.

We missed out on a player that Barcelona had, that we wanted and in exchange we gave them a player we didn't want to let go.

FFS this is Liverpool FC. Who the fck cares what his girlfriend wanted?  Buy the silly bit.ch a fcking yacht or island to keep her happy. We should have got the deal through and stop with the lame excuses on why we didn't get him.

In my eyes, totally unacceptable business. Be it from the owners, Ayre or anyone else involved in that disaster.

Sanchez was on par with Hazard as the best player in the league last season. Truly remarkable for a foreign player in his first season in the EPL.

While most players were shagging their model girlfriends during the summer break, Sanchez was doing that and busy helping Chile win it first historic piece of silverware, winning the Copa America after 99 years of trying without success.

He came back and inevitably injuries caught up with him due to the amount of games he had played over an 18 month period. So this "acclimiatisation" that you speak of Woof is pretty unfounded if you ask me................

We simply agree to disagree if you don't rate him as a player
Last edited by eds on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby eds » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Pig Catcher » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:59 pm wrote:Ayre has done a decent job overall. When he became the “man on the ground” straight after FSG rescued us from administration the club was in a mess financially and operationally. Under his leadership the club has stabilised financially and has been put on the footing for possible prosperity. His primary brief after the takeover would have been to oversee financial stabilisation and he has done that.

No one is criticising him for stabilising the club, but as I have painfully pointed out our close demise under Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum was SIX years ago now. Not yesterday.

As a club we have gone nowhere with the majority of players we have signed (and in turn unable to sign) in that time period.

To simply sweep under the carpet that "that's only one small part of his job" is mind-boggling simplistic.

IT'S A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF HIS JOB ALONGSIDE EVERYONE ELSE AT THE CLUB INVOLVED IN PLAYER TRANSFERS.

We all follow this club because we want to win trophies and be successful ON THE FIELD, not because this club continues to grow it's profit margin each year.  :no

The fact that most of you see the other way round simply leaves me staggered.

eds

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:00 pm

eds » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:16 pm wrote:We missed out on a player that Barcelona had, that we wanted and in exchange we gave them a player we didn't want to let go.

FFS this is Liverpool FC. Who the fck cares what his girlfriend wanted? 

:laugh:

Re your comment

Obviously Sanchez, putting his own ambition to play for a team that virtually guarantees CL footy aside, cared what his girlfriend wanted and maybe that's why he playing for a London based club that qualifies for the CL year after year.

You talk as though we should be able to sign ANY PLAYER we want REGARDLESS of their personal ambition or circumstances. Mate, sad to break the news to you but we are no longer the club that every top player in the world would be happy join.

Maybe a few more years and some success under Klopp may change that but as things currently stand footy's elite see us very much as the Bridesmaid rather than the Bride.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby johnbarnes » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:29 pm

RE; IA & Transfers:-
He is nothing more than a child sent to the shops with a £5 note to buy a loaf of bread and mommy / daddy who both want to see change back from their £5, with the instruction to NOT buy the most expensive brand. So the child returns with the supermarkets own brand loaf of bread and as much change as possible. Mommy and Daddy are both happy because the child did what they asked and followed instructions...
IA does not own LFC he just works for LFC and simply follows instructions. Under this rule of employment IMO IA has done a very good job and will most likely take a long vacation on a remote Island to smoke a phat-one and simply place LFC in the past, once he leaves. The amount of pressure he has had to sustain in his time with us has been immense; many others would of walked a long time ago.
We should be careful of what we wish for...
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:15 am

woof woof ! » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:00 pm wrote:
eds » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:16 pm wrote:We missed out on a player that Barcelona had, that we wanted and in exchange we gave them a player we didn't want to let go.

FFS this is Liverpool FC. Who the fck cares what his girlfriend wanted? 

Re your comment

Obviously Sanchez, putting his own ambition to play for a team that virtually guarantees CL footy aside, cared what his girlfriend wanted and maybe that's why he playing for a London based club that qualifies for the CL year after year.

You talk as though we should be able to sign ANY PLAYER we want REGARDLESS of their personal ambition or circumstances. Mate, sad to break the news to you but we are no longer the club that every top player in the world would be happy join.

Maybe a few more years and some success under Klopp may change that but as things currently stand footy's elite see us very much as the Bridesmaid rather than the Bride.

No Wolf, I'm not saying we should be signing ANY PLAYER we want REGARDLESS of their ambition. I'm not an 8 year old.

My point is we should be doing everything possible to try to make this happen. All the players I have pointed out highlights a fundamental problem we have had in signing players we have targeted but unable to attain for one reason or another. The list is a damning assessment of the way that Ayre has let this club down time and time again on one of the most important facets of his job.

It's Ayre's job alongside every one else at the club involved with player transfers to sell a vision to these players, work out how much it will cost and do the hard work to make sure they are happy, their gf is happy, their parents, mistress, dog, cat. Whoever......... 

When you hear reports that Arsenal had already spoken and agreed to sign Sanchez before the WC, months before Ayre and his minnions started the ball rolling with the Suarez move to Barcelona. It frankly doesn't surprise, because once again we were caught cold by another club. Totally unacceptable for a club our stature.

You may have all fallen for the gf excuse, but at the very top echelons pulling this whopper out just seems downright ludicrous.

On a final note I'm actually not sure how you expect our fortunes to change "over the next few years" if the executives at the very top aren't world class like Klopp is. Because our owners and current hierarchy have done nothing to re-build our fortunes on the field over the last 6 years. If anything we have just been treading water.

eds

Postby devaney » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:18 am

Eds you say you are not an eight year old and yet you WHINGE like a fkg two year old. You must have worn out the COPY and PASTE functions on your computer. To be honest mate its just the same old boring drivel. Firmino, Lovren, Allen and Lallana all looked like transfer committee disasters. That assessment would not be the same today. They all have to continue improving but they could no longer be regarded as disasters.

Whatever the reason a player goes to another club is frustrating. Unfortunately you simply cannot win them all. Very easy to simply blame Ayres and the transfer commitee but without knowing all the facts (AND LIKE IT OR NOT YOU DON'T) it is impossible to know exactly what happened. You choose to constantly go on about the players that we have failed to sign rather actually congratulate the club for some of the players that they have bought. No doubt you will give somebody other than Ayres the credit for signing Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho.  Your negativity is endless !! Give it a fkg rest  :help

Try giving Klopp more than five minutes to get the best out of what he has got.

You won't enjoy reading this: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... es-7624487
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:27 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:47 pm

devaney » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:18 am wrote:Eds you say you are not an eight year old and yet you WHINGE like a fkg two year old. You must have worn out the COPY and PASTE functions on your computer. To be honest mate its just the same old boring drivel. Firmino, Lovren, Allen and Lallana all looked like transfer committee disasters. That assessment would not be the same today. They all have to continue improving but they could no longer be regarded as disasters.

Whatever the reason a player goes to another club is frustrating. Unfortunately you simply cannot win them all. Very easy to simply blame Ayres and the transfer commitee but without knowing all the facts (AND LIKE IT OR NOT YOU DON'T) it is impossible to know exactly what happened. You choose to constantly go on about the players that we have failed to sign rather actually congratulate the club for some of the players that they have bought. No doubt you will give somebody other than Ayres the credit for signing Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho.  Your negativity is endless !! Give it a fkg rest  :help

Try giving Klopp more than five minutes to get the best out of what he has got.

You won't enjoy reading this: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... es-7624487

Just illustrates that reality Football is a complex business and not easy like some simulated digi-box set games portray it to be...
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:48 pm

We're talking about arguably the best striker in world football here , If we had received 90 million for Suarez we would have still been viewed as getting screwed.

Move on.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion