Neil mellor...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:44 pm

Right, theres a large number of people in hear who think the lad has not got what it takes.

To an extent i am one of them. I don't see him ever becoming an international standard player, maybe a James Beattie type player at best...

But this season he's done himself and the club proud. I remember Bigmick banging on about Earnshaw saying he'll score goals at whatever level because he has good pace, movement and can finish. I agree with him, however, Like Mellor i don't think Earnshaw can become a great player. Just an effective one. I think Mellor could become as good as Earnshaw and would score a similar amount of goals.

Mellor puts 100% into every game he plays and gives his all. He covers alot of ground without the ball and more often than not holds the ball quite well and brings other players into play. His movement and ability to get into scoring positions is excellent. Also he can finish when given a chance.

If you look at the teams he's scored against so far in his career, Middlesborough, Arsenal, Newcastle, Olympiakos (Champions League) and Sheffield United... Most of his 6 goals have come against decent opposition. Its not like he banged in two hatricks against unknown clubs. Personally i think Mellor is capable of around 10 goals a season as 3rd or 4th choice forward. At the moment he's on 5 and with everyone fit he's 5th choice behind Baros, Cisse, Luis Garcia and Sinama-Pongolle.... Maybe he might be ahead of Sinama...

I really think we should keep hold of Mellor as he's proving he can score goals, he works very hard and seems to have an excellent attitude. He will improve over the coming years and if he's still chipping in with goals like he has been doing then i think we should definately keep him and see how good he can become...

:)
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:46 pm

There was nothing shabby about his goals either Stu.

Mellor looks akward at times, but he has an eye for goal.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby redirish » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:52 pm

Yea agree with some points but looking at him play he does have a good eye for the goal think we should keep him as he is still only a young lad with limited PL ball behind him, make a good squad player and does his best for the club and himself:D
redirish

Postby lakes10 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:53 pm

lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:54 pm

hes doen himself proud for sure.
i'lla dmit when i saw him at west ham he didnt cut the mustard but for us hes doing well. ok he only scores at anfield and when hes facing the kop, but he can quite happily get 10 a season i think if he keeps it up like this. plus he seems to be forming a good understanding with baros which is nice
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:55 pm

Good post Stu but must you always use James Beattie as an example?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:04 pm

Sorry, good enough for a second rate club.
But not good enough for where we wan't to be on top of the pile.
Sentiment and appreciation of effort etc. is fine, but these days with immense salaries when players and their agents call all the shots, we should not carry any passengers on the payrole.
We will need the spare slots to test up and coming players, not to support a bunch of 'nearly players' !!
I say sell at the first opportunity or use an exchange deal. Sorry Lad's.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby redirish » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:05 pm

yea Mellor and Baros are starting to get an understanding for each other. Did you see Baros going fuc*in mad when he wanted the ball in the first half but Mellor took the shot. Baros was in a better position but at least Mellor had a go even if he knew Baroe was going to give him an ear bashing for not passin to him.  :D
redirish

Postby redirish » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:06 pm

yea Mellor and Baros are starting to get an understanding for each other. Did you see Baros going fuc*in mad when he wanted the ball in the first half but Mellor took the shot. Baros was in a better position but at least Mellor had a go even if he knew Baroe was going to give him an ear bashing for not passin to him.  :D
redirish

Postby redirish » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:08 pm

Sorry bout reply twice the feckin PC is on the blink
redirish

Postby A.B. » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:08 pm

I disagree Redrider. What happens when our main strikers get injured? Are you going to put on the Red shirt and be the striker for us? I think not. Mellor and Pongolle have been doing their best and we as a team have been doing well without key strikers. You will always need back up strikers because you never know what may happen so I would keep Mellor and Pongolle for the time being.
Last edited by A.B. on Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby lakes10 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:17 pm

Mellor should stay with liverpool as long as he like , his never say die spirit is what liverpool fc is all about, he is getting fitter and showing to be more skilfull on the ball than before, liverpool should keep hold of him as if he keeps developing at this rate by the end of next year he will be owesome.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_Si » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:26 pm

redirish wrote:Sorry bout reply twice the feckin PC is on the blink

At least you haven't got green g@nads
Red_Si

Postby Redrider » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:27 pm

A.B. wrote:I disagree Redrider. What happens when our main strikers get injured? Are you going to put on the Red shirt and be the striker for us? I think not. Mellor and Pongolle have been doing their best and we as a team have been doing well without key strikers. You will always need back up strikers because you never know what may happen so I would keep Mellor and Pongolle for the time being.

Hopefully, we will have at least one new striker in two weeks with another in the pipeline. Cisse, may be back for next season and then we will be well covered for strikers.
I am sorry, I just don't think Mellor has the class.
Although he scored on sunday after Baros set him up, his link up with Baros was generally poor, Baros was complaining to him about waste of good ball on quite a few occasions.
Sure, keep him for the rest of this season but I don't see him leading the line in a class side, next season.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:28 pm

Red_Si wrote:
redirish wrote:Sorry bout reply twice the feckin PC is on the blink

At least you haven't got green g@nads

wel i would keep them away of the xmas table the might be mistaken for brussel sprouts lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion