Neil mellor - Today

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:29 am

As far as I'm concerned, the lad did okay today.  Pretty much the same role against Monaco, up on his own, but something happened today.  We got a bit of good fortune. 

Let me explain. 

Look at it from the perspective of the players who we are supposed to rely on to actually score our goals, one player in particular. 

Harry Kewell for one argument.

How often during the last few games (?) have you seen him running towards goal and you're thinking "Shoot Harry, foocking shoot, show us why we pay you £60,000 a week!!!", yet he gets fouled because he's too slow, or he lays it off, then the person he lays it off to gets disposessed and the move breaks down.

Enough about Kewell though.  This afternoon, with 40 seconds to go, in a game against the Champions, a lad from the reserves, with everything to gain and nothing to lose sees a ball land perfectly for him 30 yards out, and his instinct tells him to t**t it towards goal, it took less than a second from the time it took to leave his foot to being rattling the net.

This is the kind of luck that changes destinies.  Lets's be honest, Neil Mellor might only play another handful of games for Liverpool.

Let's be honest again, the only reason he's playing at all is because Djibril Cisse our £14,000,000 gamble (and I don't say gamble lightly) and our current top scorer Milan Baros are both injured.  It's a disaster.  Both of our main strikers are injured, and you don't want to be playing Arsenal when our backs are to the wall like today.  Not when the defenders he's facing have the qualities Sol Campbell and Kolo Taure possess.  He was our lone striker.

Yet he had the balls to try something that I dare say from that distance from goal, not even St Michael of Owen would have tried in the same situation, he had the balls to try something that Gerard Houllier would have castrated him for, how dare he be so adventurous, he had the youth, the inexperience, the guts, the bottle and the luck, which all strikers need to try something so outrageous in the last minute of a game which maybe the morale and shape of the team hinged on, to give Liverpool a new hero, a hero we never expected today, a young man who stood up to be counted today and we are all proud of, and who I'm sure, we have all smiled and drunk a toast to already, to the young man who had the guts to give it a go, the man who reminded me for one, of the last man who would have done the same in his position, Robbie Fowler and the fact that no matter what you think, football will always surprise you, there are never certainties, no matter what.

It's good to be a Liverpool supporter today!!!
jonnymac1979

Postby Dalglish » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:38 am

Simply Superb
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:39 am

Johnny ......Don't want to bark on mate but it was a bit special today :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:57 am

Dalglish wrote:Simply Superb

Amen to that.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby mrcool2003 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:02 am

yep i totally agree, but im not getting carried away but its a fantastic result for us, cause taking it one game at a time is the way supporters should take it, you'll hear ppl going brilliant if we win and ****** if we get beat, but thats the wrong way to lok at it, i hope we can play like this against the greek side at anfield and we can i reckon we can do them some damage which obiviously we need to do if we want to progress
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:29 am

Mellor scored a fabulous goal, in fact all 3 goals last night were quality and it was a very good game especially since we won. The first goal was very well worked out and Kewell showed good awareness when he headed to Gerrard who had all the time in the world to look up and place a good pass to Alonso with acres of space.

Overall, Mellor still needs to improve if he is to make a consistent impact in the EPL.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:30 am

I think Mellor did more than ok today even if he didn't score. He was involved and worked hard. The goal he scored is only the result of it. If you work hard, good thing will happens to you. One funny thing I notice is when the camera was shooting from afar, Mellor looked like S.Gerrard but only fatter. :p
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:17 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the lad did okay today.  Pretty much the same role against Monaco, up on his own, but something happened today.  We got a bit of good fortune. 

Let me explain. 

Look at it from the perspective of the players who we are supposed to rely on to actually score our goals, one player in particular. 

How often during the last few games (?) have you seen him running towards goal and you're thinking "Shoot Harry, foocking shoot, show us why we pay you £60,000 a week!!!", yet he gets fouled because he's too slow, or he lays it off, then the person he lays it off to gets disposessed and the move breaks down.

Enough about Kewell though.  This afternoon, with 40 seconds to go, in a game against the Champions, a lad from the reserves, with everything to gain and nothing to lose sees a ball land perfectly for him 30 yards out, and his instinct tells him to t**t it towards goal, it took less than a second from the time it took to leave his foot to being rattling the net.

This is the kind of luck that changes destinies.  Lets's be honest, Neil Mellor might only play another handful of games for Liverpool.

Let's be honest again, the only reason he's playing at all is because Djibril Cisse our £14,000,000 gamble (and I don't say gamble lightly) and our current top scorer Milan Baros are both injured.  It's a disaster.  Both of our main strikers are injured, and you don't want to be playing Arsenal when our backs are to the wall like today.  Not when the defenders he's facing have the qualities Sol Campbell and Kolo Taure possess.  He was our lone striker.

Yet he had the balls to try something that I dare say from that distance from goal, not even St Michael of Owen would have tried in the same situation, he had the balls to try something that Gerard Houllier would have castrated him for, how dare he be so adventurous, he had the youth, the inexperience, the guts, the bottle and the luck, which all strikers need to try something so outrageous in the last minute of a game which maybe the morale and shape of the team hinged on, to give Liverpool a new hero, a hero we never expected today, a young man who stood up to be counted today and we are all proud of, and who I'm sure, we have all smiled and drunk a toast to already, to the young man who had the guts to give it a go, the man who reminded me for one, of the last man who would have done the same in his position, Robbie Fowler and the fact that no matter what you think, football will always surprise you, there are never certainties, no matter what.

I couldn't say it any better...only Fowler will have the instinct (and the balls) to try an outrageous shot like that. This young lad is still learning to cope with Premierleague standard, and at this moment, our best option up front (no I am not saying this coz he scored yesterday but because he gave his all in the game).
I'm not trying to knock Owen but what do you think St. Mike will do in the same situation?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:40 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:We got a bit of good fortune. 

Even when Gerrard was caught and we didn't get a peno and then Vieira dived and should have been sent off ???

We won in spite of big decisions going against us.

The win was fully deserved.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:02 am

adayinthelife wrote:
jonnymac1979 wrote:We got a bit of good fortune. 

Even when Gerrard was caught and we didn't get a peno and then Vieira dived and should have been sent off ???

We won in spite of big decisions going against us.

The win was fully deserved.

That was not a lucky win...we were in control of the entire game, a step faster and Arsenal have only one single strike at our goal all day, no corner conceded and a frustrated Henry was left to show his ugly side once again.
When you see a player like Viera needing to fake a dive then apologise like a little pussy, surround the ref en-mass protesting every decision against them, Henry resort to elbowing his opponent, Reyes totally shut out...you know they have been frustrated and/or had a hard game. With these stats, how can our win be fortuitous?
You should see Campbell and Lauren's facial expression looking at each other in amazement after Mellor's strike...priceless  :D
Last edited by Santa on Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:07 am

what i liked was the effort and pride that the players had today, now lets show that willingness every week. i am so jealous that i was not there dalglish. i watched on TV live and it seemed special but its never the same as being there
112-1077774096

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:20 am

Dalglish wrote:Johnny ......Don't want to bark on mate but it was a bit special today :D

Ahhh, don't Ian, I'm still walking round with a massive grin on my face!!!  :D
jonnymac1979

Postby azriahmad » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:17 am

Mellor did a very good job of unselfishly harrasing the Arsenal defenders whenever they are on the ball and he did especially well off the ball when his run took Campbell with him to leave acres of space for Alonso so rifle in the first goal. He earned his memorable night by belting in that winner. He did his bit for the team.

Overall, Liverpool had some 8 or 9 goal attempts against Arsenal's only 3 but they are such a classy side that they scored from a classy move. We deserved the victory, we only got lucky with the Mellor winner but Arsenal also had luck on the no penalty decision when Toure felled Gerrad. This win was earned by the hard work of the lads on the field.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:35 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the lad did okay today.  Pretty much the same role against Monaco, up on his own, but something happened today.  We got a bit of good fortune. 

Let me explain. 

Top post jonny :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:10 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:

Let me explain. 

Top post jonny :cool:

Cheers, I was very drunk and emotional.

I'm surprised it's readable, couple of grammar errors but not bad for a pi$$ed post.

I was VERY happy with Mellors contribution.  What a goal!!!!
jonnymac1979

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion