Neil mellor...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:40 pm

When we've had the injuries that we've had, I for one think it says something that someone who was our 6th or 7th choice striker at the beginning of the season has acquitted himself so well.

I'm guessing he's on a fairly meagre salary, and if he's happy to be at LFC on such sums, there is absolutely no reason to get rid in my opinion. He's let nobody down, and in fact I'd go so far as to say that he's done a hell of a lot towards saving our season. I'm sure he knows his place, and if he's happy to get limited opportunities, but to still be a part of the club, then he'll hear no complaints from me.

Anyone that saw Anelka's hands-on-hips-athon at the weekend saw from themselves the kind of non-performance that a complacent player with class can sometimes trot out. On the contrary, nobody is under any illusions about Mellor's quality, but there is a lot to be said for a hungry second-tier player prepared to put themselves about on the pitch and work for the team. It would be enough for me if he was standing still for 89 mins but still getting goals, but he's putting a hell of a lot into each game, and the goals have been just reward. He knows where the goal is, which is exactly what we've needed of late.

I tell you what, if he retired tomorrow he'd get a pint on cue at any pub with any real LFC fans in for the rest of his life. :)
ivor_the_injun

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:30 pm

One of the best posts i've read in ages.

Hit the nail on the head. :)
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:54 pm

Agree with virtually every word Ivor . The lad has certainly proved some people wrong , myself included .
His goals this season will be remembered for a long long time but given the choice I'd still put Anelka ahead of Mellor in my starting lineup .
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:56 pm

neil mellor has done superbly well when he has been given the opportunities this season. ok, he's not the most mobile or skillfull, but the guy's enthusiasm and eye for a goal is evident for all to see. you have to remember that we had agreed to sell him to sheffield united for £500,000 before baros and garcia got crocked. the lad has not only scored 5 goals, but VITAL goals in the context of games. if you ask me, he should have cemented his place in the side until the transfer window so i hope that rafa doesn't go back to 4-5-1 against west brom.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:56 pm

Exactly, just look at the strikers other clubs have for back up Everton have campell and ferguson on 80 grand between them, Man u have solskjaer on 40 grand a week who doesnt even play, Chelsea have Kezman whos defo on a big wage at Chelsea and i reckon Newcastle are knocking out 150 grand on there 4 Strikers, hes young on under 10 grand a week and kinows the back of the net like the back of his hand.....cant see him goin anywhere just yet, keep up the good work mellor
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:59 pm

stmichael wrote:neil mellor has done superbly well when he has been given the opportunities this season. ok, he's not the most mobile or skillfull, but the guy's enthusiasm and eye for a goal is evident for all to see. you have to remember that we had agreed to sell him to sheffield united for £500,000 before baros and garcia got crocked. the lad has not only scored 5 goals, but VITAL goals in the context of games. if you ask me, he should have cemented his place in the side until the transfer window so i hope that rafa doesn't go back to 4-5-1 against west brom.

Rafa has been using the 4-5-1 formation away and home at times because we had injured attacking players but since all players have recovered [excluding Cisse], Rafa says we can play attacking football and that he has had 4-4-2 formation in mind for a long time. The last time we used the 4-4-2 formation on the road we won 4-2
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:09 am

If doesn't matter what formation you play as long as your best players perform.

Weather its 4-5-1, 4-4-2, 4-1-1-1-1-2 its doesn't matter.

Arsenal play 4-5-1 all the time it works, the germans always play 3-5-2 it works. Play what you're best at with your best players. Simple as that.

At the moment the best front two are Luis Garcia and Milan Baros. The question is is Nunez on the right a better option than Mellor upfront...

Rafa knows the answer to that one...
115-1073096938

Postby Red_Si » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:22 am

I would keep Mellor as a sub but we should sell that feeble chicken Pongolle.
Red_Si

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:04 pm

Feeble chicken pongolle who came on and got man of the match changing the whole course of the champions league by getting us through, is that the feeble chicken pongolle your talkin about...such a short memory havent u u t!t
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:11 pm

Sinama-Pongolle is a good prospect. One or two ineffective games early season doesn't change that.

Idiot! ???
115-1073096938

Postby The_Rock » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:16 pm

Why do we have to sell mellor & ponggole if we buy another striker ? I don't get it.

Isn't the lack of dept in our squad, the reason why we lost so many points this season ? :angry:
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:18 pm

Well said!
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:46 pm

Who knows what the future holds for Neil Mellor but the guy has earned himself a shot at the big time with his 5 goals this season.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby redirish » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:41 pm

JBG i would say he has earned the respect of the squad and the true fans of this great club LFC :)
redirish

Postby redirish » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:42 pm

JBG i would say he has earned the respect of the squad and the true fans of this great club LFC :)
redirish

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion