Neil mellor...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mrcool2003 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:04 pm

yep totally agree with that spot stu, we should keep him for backup and hes decent enough to stick on when we're in trouble or as a 3rd striker, and if players are out, hes good enough to have on to have at least a recognised striker on
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:17 pm

I like him, regardless of his talent. If he loses a few talents I'm sure people will stop slagging him off.  From his workrate and dedication to the club alone I feel he deserves a spot in the team.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:48 pm

mellor's done ok! but lets be honest, he isn't good enough to pull the red jersey over his head!! we have got to stop putting up with nearly men, and only demand pure class!! otherwise, we will stay exactley where we are. second best.:( :(
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:14 am

Good post stu....Mellor has the same or similar instincts as Aldo,perhaps not as finely honed,but the lad has time on his hands.I think he is a perfect foil for Baros,but their chance as a pairing may not be for much longer if a new forward is brought, in come January.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:09 am

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he's the answer...

But he's scoring goals and working his balls off. To me that says he should definately be an option in the future, even if we do sign another striker...

Baros
Cisse
Luis Garcia
Morientes/Anelka
Mellor
Sinama-Pongolle

Ok maybe its an overload of strikers, but at the moment at least i'm glad we have Mellor and he's scored some imporant and very good goals aswell.

Any striker who works his balls off and can score goals deserves a chance in my book if they've come through the youth ranks... even if they have other average attributes. :)
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:52 am

Nicely said Stu. Mellor has been "hustling" on the pitch even though pundits give Steven Gerrard credit for some things because they often mistake Nellor for Gerrard.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby L-type » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:00 am

A.B. wrote:Nicely said Stu. Mellor has been "hustling" on the pitch even though pundits give Steven Gerrard credit for some things because they often mistake Nellor for Gerrard.

yeah they look identical, also i think finnan and carragher look like long lost brothers.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:01 am

stu_the_red wrote:Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he's the answer...

But he's scoring goals and working his balls off. To me that says he should definately be an option in the future, even if we do sign another striker...

Baros
Cisse
Luis Garcia
Morientes/Anelka
Mellor
Sinama-Pongolle

Ok maybe its an overload of strikers, but at the moment at least i'm glad we have Mellor and he's scored some imporant and very good goals aswell.

Any striker who works his balls off and can score goals deserves a chance in my book if they've come through the youth ranks... even if they have other average attributes. :)

ELLOR IS definitely more short term and he will have toi do more work off the pith  s compeitive for a spo. I eally want t see hm succeed. Wish him the best no matter what happens to the lad.
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:01 am

L-type wrote:ELLOR IS definitely more short term and he will have toi do more work off the pith  s compeitive for a spo. I eally want t see hm succeed. Wish him the best no matter what happens to the lad.

Either you're having too much coffee this morning or it's time to change your keyboard, it appears to be missing some keys  :D
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:56 am

kenco wrote:mellor's done ok! but lets be honest, he isn't good enough to pull the red jersey over his head!! we have got to stop putting up with nearly men, and only demand pure class!! otherwise, we will stay exactley where we are. second best.:( :(

Sums it up for me !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Bruno Zidane! » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:15 pm

Redrider wrote:
kenco wrote:mellor's done ok! but lets be honest, he isn't good enough to pull the red jersey over his head!! we have got to stop putting up with nearly men, and only demand pure class!! otherwise, we will stay exactley where we are. second best.:( :(

Sums it up for me !!

Ive got to admit ive said all along that Mellor was never gonna make it at this level, but as long as he keeps proving me wrong and banging them in ill be happy....and to see us sell heskey for 6 million and have him in the squad now looks a good bit of business cos Mellors 10 times the player that lazy, sh!thouse, 1 good game a season flop is.....Mellor cant get the Kop to sing his name still after his goals (Except sort of on sunday) and Heskey returns with Birmingham and people start chanting his name, thats b0llocks to me.
5 goals this season all in front of the KOP.....the boy must be buzzin!
Chopper:Look, you're not still angry at me about the leg, are you?
Neville Bartos : Nah, forget about it.
Chopper : Because I don't know if you remember, Neville, but I had that bloody shotgun pointed at your head. I reconsidered and dropped it down to your kneecap. Remember?
Bruno Zidane!
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm

L type , it is really stupid to say that working hard and being dedicated warrants a first team place. There are many people on this site who would do that.

We wouldn't get much money for him so should hold onto him as he is decent.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:33 pm

Heskey is a hero, anyone so ****** who can generate 6m is a legend.

Seriously, he was terrible.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:57 pm

Bruno Zidane! wrote:
Redrider wrote:

Sums it up for me !!

Ive got to admit ive said all along that Mellor was never gonna make it at this level, but as long as he keeps proving me wrong and banging them in ill be happy....and to see us sell heskey for 6 million and have him in the squad now looks a good bit of business cos Mellors 10 times the player that lazy, sh!thouse, 1 good game a season flop is.....Mellor cant get the Kop to sing his name still after his goals (Except sort of on sunday) and Heskey returns with Birmingham and people start chanting his name, thats b0llocks to me.
5 goals this season all in front of the KOP.....the boy must be buzzin!

The respect for Heskey is a tradition of the club and the fan's and has no bearing on the respective qualities of the players.
I actually think that heskey is a better player than Mellor, but I also believe it is better business to sell Heskey for £6m and replace him with Mellor who is performing just as effectively for LFC.
However, Mellor is not for the long term, as a replacement squad player his place will eventually be taken by another up and coming from the academy who will be there to be tested in times of injury and Worthington cup games. Mellor has been tested and found to be adequate but not a star and so the wheel of progression at Anfield will role on.  :)
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:49 pm

have to agree with stu on 1 point, if a player comes thru the youth system and is doing a good job here, we should  keep him here. Give him opportunity to grow. I'm sure scholes, butt, beckham weren't great players in their few seasons with the scums.

Hope mellor comes good here. He is a natural goalscorer. If only he could shed a few pounds.....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion