NATHANIEL CLYNE - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:22 pm

You can add Steve Finnan aswel. Played really well for us.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Steve Finnan, only a short time with us but a great full back. A Kop cult hero right up there.... Stevie Nicol was my right back hero closely followed by Rob Jones.

Seriously I see a great future for Clyne. Solid defensive, pace, decent going forward. The lads got a lot of talent already and just needs to train on a bit to hit the heights of those above.

Ps, Jason Macateer was not a half bad crosser of the ball either
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:35 pm

Agreed. Finnan was great for us. Shame it took Rafa a while to realise he was a right back and not a right midfielder! Very good defensively.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:30 am

I loved Steve Finnan.. He wasnt technically a brilliant player, but he was non stop and never gave up.

Arbeloa and Flanno also were brilliant right backs for us.

I think Clyne will suprise a few people.. Hes a very good athlete and takes up good positions defensively. He's a bit like Ashley Cole in that sense.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 am

I was a big Rob Jones fan, but still maintain that Markus Babble was the best RB I've ever seen in a red shirt.

Before his illness, he was immense with outstanding pace, positioning and reading of the game.

Sadly he wasn't the same after being sick for 12 months and returned half the player.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:18 am

Yep. Solid as Finnan was he wasn't as good all round as either Arbeloa or Babbel. Babbel is the best right back we've had in the modern era imo. He wasn't even a right back when he signed either - he was a right sided centre back! Horrible illness Guillan Barre. He was lucky to live and be able to walk again let alone kick a ball competitively.

Rob Jones was great defensively. Ryan Giggs said he was the best full back he played against, now that's a big compliment coming from him. Again robbed of reaching his full potential due to a bad back injury.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:31 pm

Not 100% sure why "Official Threads" are being created for players who havn't actually signed yet (seems to be a rule for some and different for others), anyway Livepool Echo are reporting that he is due at Melwood tomorrow for his medical before signing up to a 5 year deal
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Buck Rodgers » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:34 pm

JC_81 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:18 am wrote:Yep. Solid as Finnan was he wasn't as good all round as either Arbeloa or Babbel. Babbel is the best right back we've had in the modern era imo. He wasn't even a right back when he signed either - he was a right sided centre back! Horrible illness Guillan Barre. He was lucky to live and be able to walk again let alone kick a ball competitively.

Rob Jones was great defensively. Ryan Giggs said he was the best full back he played against, now that's a big compliment coming from him. Again robbed of reaching his full potential due to a bad back injury.

Rob Jones is the best I have seen - superb defensively and just as good going forward. Can't believe England picked Neville over him at one stage
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Like Moreno, he’s a pretty average full back. We’ve spent about 25mil on two average full backs. Surely we can find someone as good as Clyne on the continent for half the price? Just don’t think we should be spending 12mil on a full back unless he’s real quality, which Clyne isn’t.

Southampton have bought a replacement for Clyne from Sporting Lisbon for 5mil. It wouldn’t surprise me if at the end of the season we’re back in this thread wondering why we didn’t buy him instead.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Buck Rodgers » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Twitter has him signed and done

Good price for a very good right back

Think that solves a known problem position
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:46 am

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-06-29/clyne-undergoing-medical-at-liverpool/?

In a  few hours it will be officially announced ,and one of England's most promising RB's since  (hush my mouth) Gary Neville will have been snapped up for a
veritable snip . I genuinely thought the Manc's and Van Ghoul would have made his signing a priority ,so I think for the fee mentioned and the quality Clyne
will bring to our defence ,the  Saints have had their pockets well and truly dipped.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:00 pm

Went to see a few saints forums just out of curiosity curiosity. Some are saying he has lovren's tendencies... I hope not! :glare:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Buck Rodgers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:13 pm

What are Loverns tendencies ?
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Buck Rodgers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:13 am wrote:What are Loverns tendencies ?

I believe it's the tendency to blow hot and cold. Lovren could look like a world class defender one game when his gung ho approach to defending is ticking. But when it's not, and most of his time at Liverpool it's not, he can just look like he's short on confidence and a liability.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Buck Rodgers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:43 pm

I have a feeling that they said something a good deal differently before any transfer was mooted
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion