Best game ever? - Which one is your favorite all-time game

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby the-stinger » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:49 am

What a night, Liverpool produced again, what proved to be an unforgetable game of European Football. This one will live in the memory for a long time.

But, what is your favorite game of all time? Could it be the recent game against Arsenal? Or winning the UEFA cup in a stellar 5-4 win? Or watching Owen tear Arsenal up to win the FA cup in the same year? Or watching Stan Collymore kick the winner against Newcastle a few years back for us to win 4-3? Or watching McAllister kick a 40-odd yard freekick under an Everton wall to steal all 3 points?

These to name a few are the games that stuck in my memory, what are yours?

GO YOU BLOODY REDS!!!!!!!
the-stinger

Postby Dalglish » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:55 am

I was fortunate to be at the Alves match (along with 35,000 others) and witness an incredible game , I was also at the 2001 FA Cup final the week before to see the smash and grab win over Arsenal but for pure drama and quality look no further than the 1996 4-3 match against Newcastle. Still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck thinking about it  :D I chose this game because unlike the aforementioned ones the quality of football on show from both sides was of the highest order and an absolute joy to watch.

For our older fans tonight's 3-1 comeback would have reminded many of the St Etienne Quarter Final in 77 whan on a balmy night at Anfiled Liverpool came back from the dead to secure a semi final place and go onto win their first European Cup.........

I'll have to go now , i've just jiffed in my pants !!!!! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Neo# » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:57 am

My favourite was the other 4-3 against Newcastle. We were three goals up and I was loving it ; talking about how ****** Newcatle were. Then they came back to 3-3. Then Fowler scored in injury time. Oh yes.

There was also that 3-3 against Utd around 1994.
Neo#

Postby Dalglish » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:01 am

Neo# wrote:My favourite was the other 4-3 against Newcastle. We were three goals up and I was loving it ; talking about how ****** Newcatle were. Then they came back to 3-3. Then Fowler scored in injury time. Oh yes.

There was also that 3-3 against Utd around 1994.

I was referring to the FIRST 4-3 in 96, a much better game between two sides who simply went for it , pure quality :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:02 am

For pure footballing perfection our 5-0 win over Forest in 1988 takes some beating.

The first Newcastle 4-3 game was incredible.

I also hugely enjoyed the 1989 cup final when Rushie and McCall tried to outscore each other.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:11 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:For pure footballing perfection our 5-0 win over Forest in 1988 takes some beating.

The first Newcastle 4-3 game was incredible.

I also hugely enjoyed the 1989 cup final when Rushie and McCall tried to outscore each other.

I almost forgot the 5-0 drubbing of Forest (was there as well)

The late Cloughie was quoted as saying it was the finest team performmance he had ever seen , what an accolade from the oppositions maanger !  :p

Glad you agreed with the first 4-3 . An incredible game with skill, flair , goals and excitement in buckets ! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:12 am

Plus poor old Keego having a heart attack after Collymore's goal!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:21 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Plus poor old Keego having a heart attack after Collymore's goal!

You had to be worried loking at all those FAT geordies in their BarCode Newcastle tops  :O

If my memory serves me well the look of amazement on Stan Collymore's face was priceless although to be fair I was lost in the Kop going absolutly mental   :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:23 am

Best?

Everton 4 Liverpool 4 in the FA Cup.
Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 in April 1996.
Liverpool 3 W*nkchester United 3
Liverpool 3 Everton 2 in the 1989 Cup Final.

Worst?

Wimblescum 1 Liverpool 0, the '88 Cup Final.
Liverpool 0 Arseh*le 2, in 89.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:30 am

The hardest game any Liverpool supporter ever had to endure (obviously not counting Hillsborough) was the home defeat to Arsenal in 1989.

That was the hardest blow I have ever experienced as a football supporter, nay, my life.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:32 am

The hardest game any Liverpool supporter ever had to endure (obviously not counting Hillsborough) was the home defeat to Arsenal in 1989.

That was the hardest blow I have ever experienced as a football supporter, nay, my life.

Alan Smith & Michael Thomas ... :angry: I cried that week and nearly smash my TV in.
Last edited by Santa on Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:37 am

That season, for every possible reason, we deserved the double.

For the team to oversome so many injuries and then, a trillion times worse, to continue playing after Hillsborough and try to complete a large amount of fixtures in a short period of time after Hillsborough, and still be in with a shout to win the double with less than a minute of the season remaining, was incredible.

Every time since when Liverpool try to hold onto a slender lead in a big game in the final minutes of a match, my mind always returns to the yellow shirted Michael Thomas advancing into the Liverpool box...... his delerious celebrations....

Its ridiculous when Sky billed Man UTD v. Arsenal in October of this year as the game of the century. Liverpool v Arsenal in 1989 was one of the biggest fixtures of all time. So much was at stake, so much emotion.....
Last edited by JBG on Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:49 am

and the look of Barnsey, Kenny and Aldo congratulating each other mere minutes before that goal (if only Stevie Nicol could stick out his leg and block the move) for another league title...yes we were that confidence then that we couldn't be beaten 2-0 at home...still hard to swallow 15 years later :angry:
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:07 am

Christ, i still wince when i think about that match.I met Thomas once in a Dublin nightclub and forgave him on behalf of all Liverpool supporters,i didnt mean it tho,he`s still a sh.it.Greatest performance has to be Liverpool 5 Notts Forest 0.Tom Finney(and he should know) reckoned it was the greatest performance he had ever seen.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:45 am

Well i wasn'y in any state to remember anything until 99', so I'm going to have to enjoy the 2001 Fa Cup, but for overall excitement I would say this week takes the cake.  First you have the last second win over Arsenal, followed by the reserves beating a fulls trength tottenham in a shootout, we can just forget about villa, and then overcoming all odds to beat Olympiakos 3-1 , now that is a team on the right track !
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion