LUCAS LEIVA - OFFICIAL THREAD

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:39 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:45 pm wrote:One or two rumours that the news isn't too good regarding his injury, talk of him missing 3 months or more.
What date is it today? The 19th? If we don't go out and buy a DM in the next week or so then we are stuck with Gerrard as our holding midfielder for the rest of the season.

If true, I think his career at LFC is done.

That would be fantastic news. Maybe we could offload him to Villa or Hull or some other average team with average player where he belongs.

Or maybe or City or Chelsea will buy him and try to build a league winning side around him... :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:14 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:41 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:39 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:45 pm wrote:One or two rumours that the news isn't too good regarding his injury, talk of him missing 3 months or more.
What date is it today? The 19th? If we don't go out and buy a DM in the next week or so then we are stuck with Gerrard as our holding midfielder for the rest of the season.

If true, I think his career at LFC is done.

That would be fantastic news. Maybe we could offload him to Villa or Hull or some other average team with average player where he belongs.

Or maybe or City or Chelsea will buy him and try to build a league winning side around him... :laugh:
or maybe you can take his place    :)
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:59 pm

If you don't think Lucas makes a difference to our team then you're an idiot

Makes more tackles and retains possession more than 99% of people in the league, if you don't understand the importance of this then you are an idiot.
Kopite-Jud

Postby supersub » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Kopite-Jud » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:59 pm wrote:If you don't think Lucas makes a difference to our team then you're an idiot

Makes more tackles and retains possession more than 99% of people in the league, if you don't understand the importance of this then you are an idiot.

Stockbridge Village Idiot :laugh:  that he is
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Confirmed out for 2 months with a medial ligament damage.

We have only 3 midfielders now (4 if you include Alberto who hasn't started a game yet), and with Gerrard and Allen being injury prone, the owners will be playing a dangerous game if they don't give the green light for a new midfielder in the following days. I'd seriously question their ambitions as well. This is the closest we've been in years to finish in the top 4 (actually we've hardly even been out of the top 4 this season) and if they don't think that now is the time to invest then I don't know when it will be.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:51 pm

damjan193 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 pm wrote:Confirmed out for 2 months with a medial ligament damage.

We have only 3 midfielders now (4 if you include Alberto who hasn't started a game yet), and with Gerrard and Allen being injury prone, the owners will be playing a dangerous game if they don't give the green light for a new midfielder in the following days. I'd seriously question their ambitions as well. This is the closest we've been in years to finish in the top 4 (actually we've hardly even been out of the top 4 this season) and if they don't think that now is the time to invest then I don't know when it will be.

That's right mate, I will say it for the 5th time on this forum WE NEED A QUALITY CENTER MIDFIELDER RIGHT NOW, preferably a DM that can do a little more than just tackle and make tidy passes like Lucas.

There is nowhere to hide this time Henry and Werner, enough of the yank jibba and jabba AND STAMP UP THE CASH!

We are on the cusp of getting 4th and pushing for the title next season with our current attacking options. Don't p**s it away on this strict "we must be financially frugal" bs.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby parchpea » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:52 pm

A dog will run after a ball all day long and be quick enough to take it away from your feet, but its no idea what to do with it after that. This is Lucas.

We need someone that can take it and use it, a top class player, and f@uck Lucas (bless him), football is hard knocks and tough decisions and he knows it.

This guy has been stinking out the midfield as a charity case for long enough now and we need to move on.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 am

Lucas is a coach's player that follows instructions well, probably why the last four managers have used him when fit. He is tidy and consistent and allows the more creative players to be more creative. He shows for every ball and is an important link in a team sport. He is not a "Hollywood passer" but is a good outlet to keep the ball moving. I do not see why some seem to signal him out as the reason we are failing. He seems to get blamed for tactical mistakes when he is just a cog doing his part. I would like a better midfielder that can add a little extra but Lucas will always be able to be a steady and reliable squad player, since.... He he is a good professional and follows instructions well.

Sadly I prefer him to Gerrard in that role.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:26 am

kazza » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:55 am wrote:Lucas is a coach's player that follows instructions well, probably why the last four managers have used him when fit. He is tidy and consistent and allows the more creative players to be more creative. He shows for every ball and is an important link in a team sport. He is not a "Hollywood passer" but is a good outlet to keep the ball moving. I do not see why some seem to signal him out as the reason we are failing. He seems to get blamed for tactical mistakes when he is just a cog doing his part. I would like a better midfielder that can add a little extra but Lucas will always be able to be a steady and reliable squad player, since.... He he is a good professional and follows instructions well.

Sadly I prefer him to Gerrard in that role.

Kazza I actually dont think he shows for the ball well enough.

Nowhere near as much as Allen does. That is why I will reserve judgement on Gerrard playing the deeper role until he has had the chance to play it with two players in front of him that have energy, legs and show for a pass consistently.
By that I mean moving into good positions for a pass.
Lucas will show once, receive the ball pass it short and then stand still. Allen and Henderson once they pass it actually look to move the opposing midfield players around by making runs off them.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby devaney » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:38 am

Stu the Red » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:52 pm wrote:Thank god for that!

For somebody that claims to have played the game at some sort of professional level you really do come out with the most unnecessary load of absolute shite at times. Lucas may not be the greatest DF in the world but he is a loyal and extremely determined lad and he is is one of ours. If you couldn't see that by trying to accommodate the ageing Gerrard was one of the key reasons for our lacklustre performance against Villa then you really need to go to Specsavers !!

Shame on you Stu - call yourself a Red. Your getting as bad as fkg Betty.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:50 am

devaney » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:38 am wrote:

For somebody that claims to have played the game at some sort of professional level you really do come out with the most unnecessary load of absolute shite at times. Lucas may not be the greatest DF in the world but he is a loyal and extremely determined lad and he is is one of ours. If you couldn't see that by trying to accommodate the ageing Gerrard was one of the key reasons for our lacklustre performance against Villa then you really need to go to Specsavers !!

The reason for the lacklustre display against Villa was the fact that we had only 2 midfielders.
Swap Coutinho, Sturridge or Sterling for Lucas OR Allen and we'd have won that game.
The balance of the side was a joke.
Ben Patrick

Postby devaney » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Ben Patrick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:50 am wrote:
devaney » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:38 am wrote:

The reason for the lacklustre display against Villa was the fact that we had only 2 midfielders.
Swap Coutinho, Sturridge or Sterling for Lucas OR Allen and we'd have won that game.
The balance of the side was a joke.

Good excuse maybe for the first half Ben but we did what you suggested in the second half and still didn't score more goals in the second half than we did in the first? I like Gerrard but at the moment it is about accommodating him in a position that is more suited to his pace and fitness. I would have preferred we tried him at right back and Johnson at left back.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 pm

In Kenny's full season as manager, Lucas got injured badly in December.  He was ruled out for the rest of the year. 
2nd half of that season we had relegation form which eventually led to Kenny getting sacked.
In Rodgers first season, Lucas missed september to december or so.  He came back into the team and we started playing well.  (although everyone will say that was down to Coutinho and Sturridge).

First half against Villa.  No lucas and we are 2 - 0 down.  All down to Villa having an extra man in midfield? 

The point is... we have always struggled without Lucas in the team. 
If Lucas is going to miss the majority of this season we would be mad not to sign a proper DM and it could potentially cost us our season.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:21 pm

We also didnt concede any more goals, suggesting the shape was better once the extra player had some on.

In answer to your question on why we didnt score anymore. One reason may be because we had started all our good attacking players so didnt have a decent game changing option off the bench.
Had we left Sturridge, Coutinho or Sterling on the bench and played a balanced side we would have also had the option of bringing one of them on about 60-65 minutes.
This is what he did against Stoke and it gave the team an injection of pace for the last half hour.

I dont know whether Gerrard will do well in this role in front of the back four, but I wont blame him for the 2 points dropped against Villa.
Ben Patrick

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:42 pm

jacdaniel » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:18 am wrote:In Kenny's full season as manager, Lucas got injured badly in December.  He was ruled out for the rest of the year. 
2nd half of that season we had relegation form which eventually led to Kenny getting sacked.
In Rodgers first season, Lucas missed september to december or so.  He came back into the team and we started playing well.  (although everyone will say that was down to Coutinho and Sturridge).

First half against Villa.  No lucas and we are 2 - 0 down.  All down to Villa having an extra man in midfield? 

The point is... we have always struggled without Lucas in the team. 
If Lucas is going to miss the majority of this season we would be mad not to sign a proper DM and it could potentially cost us our season.

I'm not having that about the league form one bit mate.

We had given up on the league for me and lost games near the end to the likes of Fulham at home as we were focused on the FA cup.
Lucas is a steady eddie but doesnt offer anywhere near enough for me.

I honestly dont think he will be very difficult to replace if we want to bring in another defensive style midfielder.
There are links with De Jong this morning who could easily come in and do that job.
Ben Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion