Looking ahead - Morientes or marlon ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:17 pm

Might be a bit early to be giving a shout for a summer signing but I think we all agree that our "strike force " is perhaps the area we most need to improve upon .

In terms of established class Morientes has it all and yet he hasn't delivered . I mentioned a while back that Marlon Harewood (West Ham) looked like the player that Heskey could have been , Strong ,pacey , knows where the goal is and above all Aggressive . Can't remember when i've seen a defender put this fella on his a'rse .

No disrespect to Nando , the man has done as much as he can but it's not enough ,altough talented he is way past his best and doesn't look as though he's ever gonna recapture his headlining ability within the English Premiership   . Assuming that Rafa accepts this and decides to let him go and looks for an up and coming forceful striker with prem experience I would suggest he takes a punt on Harewood . The lad is a real prospect ,if we don't go in for him it won't be long before a big team does .

He's young ,he's raw but he's got IT .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Cisse's Beard » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:19 pm

Haven't really seen Harewood play, but yeah, Nando is not adapted for the Premiership at all.

Quality player, but just can't produce the goos when it comes to English Football.
Cisse's Beard

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:29 pm

Harewood has probably about the same amount of ability as Heskey, he's in good form right now but i dont think he will keep it up. Many West Ham fans wanted rid of him last year in fact, as he was failing to perform in the championship on quite a few occasions. At times the guy can really be woeful ( a lot like heskey) he has all the physical attributes, but really does lack the composure to play at a top club IMO, i really doubt he would be much of an improvement on Cisse, especially as West Ham would probably want some ridiculous amount of money for him.

Also the guy is hardly a young prospect he's 26.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:45 pm

Harewood? Definitely not. He is very erratic and is basically a poor man's Cisse. He isn't what we need.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the_red_alonso » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:39 pm

I would rather like to see Darren Bent or Luke Moore.Young players who are performing well in the premiership & atleast I beleive they would be an improvement over the likes of Cisse.
the_red_alonso
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:47 pm

its sad when the bbc commentators say "that was just like the old Morientes at real madrid" because he turned a  man in the centre of the pitch and not because he had scored.......
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:47 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:Also the guy is hardly a young prospect he's 26.

:D  My mistake , meant to say he's( 3/4 years) younger than Morientes .

I'm really impressed with his performce for west ham , can't help but feel that with a strker of his "presence" surrounded by quality players we'd have a few more points on the board .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:19 pm

TBH if Sissoko continues to develop at the pace he is currently, then we maybe closer than we think to the finished team. I can't help thinking that Rafa still hankers after his 4-5-1 with Alonso as the sitter, Sissoko box to box and Gerrard as the impact player playing in and around Crouch in the final third.
Sissoko's performances recently have opened up lots of possibilities as he looks to me that he is going to be very good very soon and wit him playing like that, thejigsaw looks almost near completion. A top-class right midfielder (and my personal preference would be Stu's pick, Jermaine Pennant) and we would have a very good team indeed.
On topic, Morientes  despite upping his workrate and really trying his best in the last two games isn't going to do the business for us or anybody else in the Premiership of that I'm certain. Similarly, it's hard to imagine Cisse being worth even half the ridiculous transfer fee we paid for him in the near future so I would advocate getting rid of both in the Summer. Harewood isn't a ridiculous shout though he wouldn't be my choice. My suspicion is that the time has come to bite the bullet and buy real proven quality at top dollar. Quite who the player in question is I have no idea.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:31 pm

Marlon Harewood does seem to be on a good run of fortune, but he's not someone who would improve on what we already have. He has little or no experience with the pressure and playing ability of competitions like The Champions League or FA Cup final.

Also he's not a young prospect he's in his mid 20's on top of that he simply isn't prolific enough to help us gain any trophy what so ever.
48-1119859832

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:34 pm

If were talking about going for strikers why is owen out of the question yes he has signed for newcastle but they are close to goin down ad im sure owen wud love to come back and work wiv fowler gerrard and carragher also i quite like the striker riki from getafe i think he big and strong and hes a class finisher

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:38 pm

You cannot be serious... Marlon Harewood? You think he might be in the same league as Nando - he is not even in the same sport!

Moro had a really good game today, i was well please with his workrate and he showed some really good touches.

His goal to game ratio in the league is as good as Crouch, and better than Cisse.

A bit of luck, and a decent run and he will be an asset. He is a quality player, and quality does not become useless overnight.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:45 pm

Richard,

Owen would seem like an obvious choice, but I don't think he will be bought by Benitez. I think he's burnt his bridges with Rafa in all honesty. First all of he leaves us without giving Benitez regime a chance in order to win things. Then Benitez offers him a life line to get out of the nightmare he was having at Real Madrid.

However Benitez being clever didn't want to pay £17million for Owen and opted for a lower price and all Owen had to do was call Madrid's bluff of not playing him, like Morientes did in Jan and he would of been bought by us, but not thinking about the long term but the short term he chose Newcastle over us. So for that reason alone I can't see him being bought.

Also Owen seems to be hampered by injuries this season, which doesn't make good reading. There's no point signing a player that will be constantly injured all the time.
48-1119859832

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:46 pm

drummerphil wrote:its sad when the bbc commentators say "that was just like the old Morientes at real madrid" because he turned a  man in the centre of the pitch and not because he had scored.......

it was a good turn though  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:48 pm

What about riki? ???

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:36 pm

crazyhorse wrote:You cannot be serious... Marlon Harewood? You think he might be in the same league as Nando - he is not even in the same sport!

:laugh:
check yer stats and it looks , compared to Harewood, like Nando's been doing a lot of Ice Dancing .

:laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion