Looking ahead - Morientes or marlon ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:06 am

woof woof ! wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:You cannot be serious... Marlon Harewood? You think he might be in the same league as Nando - he is not even in the same sport!

:laugh:
check yer stats and it looks , compared to Harewood, like Nando's been doing a lot of Ice Dancing .

:laugh:

Correct, Harewood's been far mor effective, however i disagree. There is a West Ham striker we should have, but thats another story.

If i could pick two players outside the top 5 in this country it would be Ashton and Pennant.
115-1073096938

Postby simolonge » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:53 am

Harewood No.

Yakubu Yes.
simolonge

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:07 pm

Harewood is coming on leaps and bounds this season, so woof's original suggestion is not as outlandish as it seems.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:16 pm

If we are gonna go for any english striker...it has to be..

1)If money is no objection....
a)Owen (15 million ?)
b)Dafoe (12 million) + Traore + Diao + Cheryou + Potter ? :p

2)If money ain't enuff...
Bent ....Darren Bent.... - I have been very impressed with bent. He has all the necessary attributes for a top striker..(great pace, great finisher, good header of the ball). I reckon, we can probabily get him for 8 million pounds...and if bent had ambition, he would force charlton to sell him if we showed any interest....... (rafa are u reading this).....

And on a separate note, with brimingham's relegation looking more and more likely, we should also go for pennant (Rafa will make him the best english RW).
Last edited by The_Rock on Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite Forever » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:17 pm

Nando is well past his best, we should get rid now.
Its him or Mellor I would probably get rid of to bring another striker in
Kopite Forever

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:50 pm

If we are having a clearout we should be keeping Nando, and getting rid of the real dead wood like Cisse, Mellor and Pongolle. He has vision and technical ability like no other player we have in the squad striker wise.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:09 pm

Ronaldo has dropped a bombshell on the eve of Real's last 16 tie with Arsenal saying he has never felt loved by the club's fans. The three-time World Player of the Year also told a stunned news conference he will make a decision on his Madrid future next summer.

"I've always said that I don't want to be where I'm not loved. I've never felt at home at the Bernabeu, the fans have never treated me with affection.

"I will make a decision at the end of the season. After all the effort I made to come to this club I don't understand why I'm treated like this," the 29-year-old said.

The Brazilian has been the club's top scorer ever since joining in 2002 from Inter, but has struggled to install himself as a fans' favourite and was even whistled as he was replaced by Antonio Cassano in the 3-0 weekend win over Alaves.

"I've thought about the way I'm treated and spoken with thousands of people, but I have never understood why the fans have so little patience with me," Ronaldo said. "As soon as I make an error people jeer me.

'WE NEED SUPPORT'

"The Madrid fans are very special and they seem to get motivated by the idea of an impossible comeback win, but in a goalless draw in the league they start getting on our backs. We need fans that will support us all the time.

"I don't know how the fans will react to what I said but, to be honest, I don't care."

Ronaldo has yet to make a Champions League appearance for Real this season, and added he has no definite plans to quit the Bernabeu.

"I still haven't thought about leaving Real Madrid yet. At the end of the season I will make a decision. The president knows how I feel and why I'm sad about this.

"If I decide to leave Real Madrid at the end of the season then all options will be open."
-------------------------------------------------------
I think that he is still one of the best strikers in the world and one that im sure Rafa will look at. Im sure the idea of playing under Benitez will appeal to him as will our fans. I think he wont be as cheap as Morientes was perhaps 1 or 2 million more. What do you guys think? Hes a prolific striker and he has always said he wishes to play in England one day. His chance could come at the end of this season.
Last edited by tubby on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dimshen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:35 pm

bigmick wrote:TBH if Sissoko continues to develop at the pace he is currently, then we maybe closer than we think to the finished team. I can't help thinking that Rafa still hankers after his 4-5-1 with Alonso as the sitter, Sissoko box to box and Gerrard as the impact player playing in and around Crouch in the final third.
Sissoko's performances recently have opened up lots of possibilities as he looks to me that he is going to be very good very soon and wit him playing like that, thejigsaw looks almost near completion.

Im worried about this post for two reasons:

1: While sissoko has shown he is effective at breaking up play, he has shown consistantly that he has no quality. He cant pass, and repeatedly gives the ball away in midfield, admittedly many times striaght after winning it.

2: I could never be happy playing 4-5-1 with crouch up front, simply because it doesnt really work. Away from home in the big games that we cant concede in, im can understand playing that way. But in general, its painfully obvious that crouchy needs support upfront to be effective.

Anyone reckon im off the mark with this?
Dimshen

Postby tubby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:37 pm

Dimshen wrote:
bigmick wrote:TBH if Sissoko continues to develop at the pace he is currently, then we maybe closer than we think to the finished team. I can't help thinking that Rafa still hankers after his 4-5-1 with Alonso as the sitter, Sissoko box to box and Gerrard as the impact player playing in and around Crouch in the final third.
Sissoko's performances recently have opened up lots of possibilities as he looks to me that he is going to be very good very soon and wit him playing like that, thejigsaw looks almost near completion.

Im worried about this post for two reasons:

1: While sissoko has shown he is effective at breaking up play, he has shown consistantly that he has no quality. He cant pass, and repeatedly gives the ball away in midfield, admittedly many times striaght after winning it.

2: I could never be happy playing 4-5-1 with crouch up front, simply because it doesnt really work. Away from home in the big games that we cant concede in, im can understand playing that way. But in general, its painfully obvious that crouchy needs support upfront to be effective.

Anyone reckon im off the mark with this?

Yes we know this but his improvment in the last 2 games against 2 of the hardest teams in England have shown that he is improving. When was the last time you even watched him play ?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:24 pm

bavlondon wrote:I think he wont be as cheap as Morientes was perhaps 1 or 2 million more.

They bought him only 4 years ago for 24 million, I don't think they will lower the price that much to 10 mil.

I would say he wouldnt go for anything under 16mil
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:35 pm

Nobody will pay 16Mil for him, In fact i dont see any team paying even over £10Mil for him. He only has 2 or 3 years max left at the top level. And im sure they would rather get rid of him quickly rather than let him mope on the bench at £120,000 a week.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:54 pm

Harewood's a good player, and is having a good season, but he belongs at a team like West Ham.

Darren Bent on the other hand looks like he's on the verge of a move to top half club to me. He reminds me of Heskey on a good day. Probably not for us, but I'd back him to be at a team like Spurs in the near future, or maybe West Ham if they don't renew Sheringham's contract.
ivor_the_injun

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:55 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Darren Bent on the other hand looks like he's on the verge of a move to top half club to me. He reminds me of Heskey on a good day..

and believe me, there weren't many of them :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 am

Harewood is not the answer for me. He's playing well and is a powerful player with an 'up and at em' style (a bit like Jason Roberts at Wigan) but i'm not sure he has the finesse and technical ability to thrive at a club like Liverpool. I've always been a big fan of Defoe who has proved he is a decent finisher (although not in Owen's league), is quick and offers the unpredictable. The press seem to think Rafa is an admirer so it would not surprise me if he is a Liverpool player next season (especially if Spurs miss out on the Champs league)

I must admit the more i have seen, the more i have liked of Darren Bent and while i'm not yet convinced, he looks like he could be a player at the very top level. He's big, strong, he's pretty fast, has spent most of the season playing up top on his own so he can lead the line. He has a good shot, knows where the net is and i would say he's as good as Ferdinand (Les) or Sheringham in their pomp when it comes to headers.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:31 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Harewood's a good player, and is having a good season, but he belongs at a team like West Ham.

Darren Bent on the other hand looks like he's on the verge of a move to top half club to me. He reminds me of Heskey on a good day. Probably not for us, but I'd back him to be at a team like Spurs in the near future, or maybe West Ham if they don't renew Sheringham's contract.

Funny u say that about about Bent . My feeling about Harewood is that he could be the player Heskey might have been i.e he actually  has some aggression to go with his size , you don't see Harewood getting dumped on his a'rse by some smaller opponent .

I'm also not trying to make out that Harewood has some special talent, Morientes is far and away the classier player with bags more talent ,but Harewood's quick ,he's agile , he's been scoring well for the hammers and he a f'ucking hardcase . All the things Morientes isn't. We've got loads of talented players but I'd like a forward with a bit of "Jamie Carraghers" grit.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion