Liverpool v celtic - Anyone watching?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby madred » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:18 am

Kewell started off very brightly but fizzled out on the left. Smicer was much of the same on the right . Id say the right side is something that Rafa will have to get to work on because it certainly needs it. Kewell did look at threat early on though but maybe still needs more games(fitness) to show things.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:21 am

Kewell was unlucky to score as was Cisse wen he hit the post, I also though Pongolle was amazin
He comes from Spain and he doesn't speak good English,
But we don't care cos he'll turn us into winners,
The European Cup will be ours before he's finished,
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:24 am

Rafa wrote:LIVERPOOL!!!!! LIVERPOOL!!!!! LIVERPOOL!!!!

I love it not gonna b able to sleep 2nite lol, i think if we ever win the league again i wont b able to sleep for a week! lol

me neither cos ill be out on the p1ss. :D

this win has given me lots of hope- we WILL go unbeaten til christmas
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:27 am

stapo1000 wrote:
Rafa wrote:LIVERPOOL!!!!! LIVERPOOL!!!!! LIVERPOOL!!!!

I love it not gonna b able to sleep 2nite lol, i think if we ever win the league again i wont b able to sleep for a week! lol

me neither cos ill be out on the p1ss. :D

this win has given me lots of hope- we WILL go unbeaten til christmas

Same ere mate, I said to me mar b4 u wouldnt see me for days if we won the league yano, i would go on a massive bender, too young to remember the last so in my eyes i have never witnessed it, im really lookin forward to this new era  :D
He comes from Spain and he doesn't speak good English,
But we don't care cos he'll turn us into winners,
The European Cup will be ours before he's finished,
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:52 am

I'm not a journalist, so please be easy with my ugly style of match commentary. :)

Taken from a free kick spot, the Riise's famous cannon ball was in action again ripping the Celtic's net. He's also involved in the second goal created by Owen who brilliantly lobbed the ball over the goalie and put neatly behind the net to make it 2-0. What a pretty goal!
Cisse could have scored four goals including the one that hit the bar. He looked very dangerous every time he kept the ball. Notably, perhaps the Hustler couldn't do any better than Danny Murphy who confidently served for Cisse's double goals. :D
Despite his average performance, Henchoz, who reported  scoring for the first time in the official training session, contributed a precious goal to be a bonus for our mounting pleasure.
I simply saw a different performance of Liverpool. They looked sharp despite some clumsy movement from some players -particularly in the second half. But that was just normal for a club that has just made some substantial changes inside.
Except for the penalty, Kirkland wasn't given a true test during the game.
Hyypia's performance was excellent. Rafa must be aware of Barca, they may kidnap him if they fail to bring him in. :;):
I personally think Gerrard and Kewell were playing under par. :(
Salif should try harder if he still wants to be a part of Liverpool plan. The tackle he committed was actually an unnecessary one,  but that's okay if aimed to entertain the opposition side a bit. :p
My version of the man of the match was Riise, if not Cisse.
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:00 am

LFC offcial site described Biscans performance as BRILLIANT !
Was he ????? :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redspirit » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:25 am

I don't know about brilliant but Biscan played well.  Diao was not as bad as some made him out to be.  After taking a 2-0 lead, most of the possession  belonged to Celtic; however, our defense was tight especially Riise.  Our short passing game was much more effective than last year.  Our forwards were excellent despite the lack of creativity in the midfield.  Although he didn't score, Baros was a constant threat with his runs and passes.   Owen's high lob from inside the box over the goalie after a long ball reception from Riise was pure skill. Riise's goal was unstoppable. Cisse looks to be money well spent...he linked up well with murphy and Pongolle, and was named player of the game.  Gerrard of all people, imo was average at best and so was kewell.
redspirit

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:35 am

He did play brilliantly compared to the 'normal' Biscan. But it's too far early to say he's already fitted in Liverpool expected standard. I'd say he needs some more games to prove. The other side of me believes that Rafa has been trying to level up his price before letting him go.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:40 am

Interesting that he plays two games in his normal midfield position and gets good reviews for both performances. Has Houlliers departure allowed Biscan to finally turn that famous corner ? :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:41 am

I did not see the game, but was surprised that Biscan is reported to have a good game. Good confidence building result for Cisse, although this is just a friendly.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:26 am

heard someone mention lack of creativity, we still need two midfielders IMO because we are seveely lacking depth, a thread on here has linked us with Joaquin (I wish), and I think another CM on top of that with Josemi and we will be set to challenge for major honours this season.

Good win against Celtic didn't see it, but a good start to our US tour especially with Cisse scoring 2 and former no-hopers like Biscan apparently turning a corner.  :;):
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:53 am

not much to say other than COME ON MY SONS!!!!!!!!!!

it's coming home....etc etc

I know everyone is holding back....but it's looking goooooooddddd!!!!!!  :cool:
Homebooby

Postby vlady16.1 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:06 am

:love: watched game last night and some points
1) absolutely manhandled celtic ~ 70%+ possession in 1st half-- chelsea was not even close as per quality of play
2) good flowing play -- defended well then attacked in #'s -- again -- broke down celtic way better than chelsea did sat
3) biscan played really well -- really - played that hard style he did when he first came -- looks like he has something to prove
4) kewell & diao -- dismall -- celtic's best players
5) is pongelle bigger this year -- must have relly worked out -- looked lost at times but has improved
5) cisse owen baros-- excellent-- dominated as group way better than chelsea did

remember how last year we moaned that the team was so good on paper-- well last night they played per ability -- they are closing the gap fast

i am soooo looking forward to toronto on friday -- porto will be a good test but if they play at all like last night -- turn out the lights the party's over

oh yes manu blew chunks on sun vrs bayern
vlady16.1

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:17 pm

I can see what you're saying and I agree with most of it. I haven't seen any of the game from last night but I was slightly bemused by the starting midfield quartet. Again, we seemed to put out a team with little or no width but something obviously went ok for us to win by such a margin.

I think it's fair to say that Diouf has been discounted by Rafa so we can rest easy on that front. I've no doubt that Diao will be found out for the lumbering liability he is and I would be surprised to see Smicer getting too many games given the structure of the team and our other attacking options.

That leaves Biscan and Murphy.

IMO, Murphy is not a first team player. However, he has done enough in the past to show that he can be a useful squad player. If he can return to his BEST form under Benitez then I would say he would be decent cover for a midfield slot should any of our bigger names get injured. We should never underestimate the impact that injuries can have if we don't have sufficient cover. Whilst I would not oppose his sale, I would want to see a suitable replacement before he was offloaded.

Biscan. The object of many a thread at the moment. I have to say that I haven't jumped on the Biscan band wagon just yet but I am not blind to see a good performance if there is one. Whilst I think it's clear that you have made your decision on Biscan brendan, the jury is still out on him as far as I'm concerned.

I cannot recall a time when he was given more than a couple of consecutive games in the position he was bought for. So far under Benitez' regime he has had two chances and by all accounts he is grabbing his opportunity. Igor's confidence was sapped by a clueless Houllier to the point that he actually looked scared when he played. He was cruelly employed by Ged in a position with which he was completely unfamiliar. I don't buy the 'if you're good enough you'll adapt' argument. This is top-level football and any hesitancy (which is inevitable if the position is not natural for you) will be exploited.

It is one thing being shifted left or right within a defence/midfield/forward line but moving forward or backward to a different line altogether requires a lot more experience than Biscan has thus far. Benitez has said that NO-ONE is guaranteed in the starting eleven. This is a breath of fresh air IMO. I am not going to start advocating Biscan's inclusion but if in Rafa's estimation he proves himself worthy, I will not shoot him down for it. Biscan's LFC career so far has been surrounded by negativity and disappointment. Perhaps a little optimism on his behalf will bring out the best in him.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:28 pm

click on the link for exclusive pictures from last nights game!

http://www.liverpoolthailand.com/webboar....&t=5666
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion