Henchoz goes to Glasgow Celtic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:42 pm

HENCHOZ JOINS CELTIC
Celtic have completed the signing of Stephane Henchoz on a short-term contract.

The Swiss defender joins from Liverpool until the end of the season.

Henchoz played a major role in helping Liverpool claim their cup treble in 2001, but he has not won favour from new boss Rafael Benitez.

Henchoz, who cost Liverpool £3.5million when he joined from Blackburn Rovers in 1999, was reported to have been interesting Celtic's Old Firm rivals Rangers, as well as a number of English clubs, including Bolton Wanderers.

But Celtic boss Martin O'Neill was determined to land the experienced international, who initially had expressed a preference for staying in England.

Henchoz's new team-mate Bobo Balde has been linked with moves to Everton and Middlesbrough, and although there seem unlikely to be developments on that front until the summer, in the meantime Celtic will be strong in the centre-back department.

A statement on www.celticfc.co.uk said: "Stephane Henchoz, the former Liverpool centre-back, has ended speculation regarding his immediate future by joining up for Celtic's assault on the SPL title.

"Henchoz, who had reportedly turned down a move to Alex McLeish's Rangers recently, decided on the move north anyway, but to the east, and not west-end of the city.

"The deal ties up Henchoz until the end of the season."

Henchoz revealed it was O'Neill's powers of persuasion that convinced him to choose Parkhead over Ibrox.

The 30-year-old said: "I spoke a few times with Martin and then when we had a meeting a few days ago I was sure it was the right option for me. It seemed the best thing to come here.

"I am leaving a big club but I am coming to a big club as well. It was a big opportunity and I didn't want to miss that.

"I spoke with Rangers and some clubs in the Premiership and said I wanted to have a good think about where I should go.

"As for Rangers I just spoke over the phone with the manager. I didn't speak with the chairman."

Henchoz has only played four games this season and O'Neill made it clear his lack of match fitness was the reason behind such a short-term deal.

But he praised the player for being willing to take the gamble.

O'Neill said: "The fact that he was prepared to come when he had other, more lucrative offers elsewhere hopefully speaks volumes for him and the club.

"I am delighted he has taken the option and I wish him well."

The move ends Henchoz's association with Liverpool, where he and Sami Hyypia forged a largely successful defensive partnership.

As well as winning the FA Cup and UEFA Cup in 2001, Henchoz also picked up a League Cup winners' medal in that same season and 2003.

Henchoz has been great for us, he has been a great servant to the club and I wish him the best at Celtic.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:16 pm

Hear hear - Thanks Stefan - enjoy your quiet retirement in second rate football.
A great servant to our club.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:18 pm

Yeah, it's a shame he seems to have left under a bit of a cloud - he's been a great asset to the club over the years
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:46 am

Hopefully this'll be an end to the bad blood that seemed to be simmering behind the scenes, and that he'll be remembered as the great servant to the club that he clearly has been.

Arguably our best goalkeeper in recent times as well :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:09 am

Sound.

Good luck lad, nice one aswell.

Crackin player at his best, clever, strong, hard, brave, positionally good and always gave 100%.

Still a quality centre half in fairness, good signing for Celtic.
115-1073096938

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:13 am

great servant to the club. He and Sami were formidable a few years back.

good luck to the lad! :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:15 am

Good luck SH and thanks for the memories
Sorry to see a bitter parting but guess thats shows your passion which we could do with a lot more of
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:10 am

crazyhorse wrote:Hear hear - Thanks Stefan - enjoy your quiet retirement in second rate football.

On the bright side Stefan can look forward to CL football next season .
:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby zarababe » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:05 pm

... good-bye.. sad he said what he did in the press... not the Liverpool way..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:48 pm

i for one bear no grudges to henchoz, simply because of his outstanding service to this club. For three seasons he and hyppia were the best central defensive pairing in the land, if not europe.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:51 pm

he did say bad tings n press but now he said he has left one great club to join another one.
good luck to the guy i say, great servant, looks like a public school boy but nice lad
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby YoungAdam » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:36 pm

If we could recreate the Hyypia-Henchoz partnership of a few years back a lot of our problems would be solved. He gave the club a lot while he was here

But yeah, good luck north of the border.
YoungAdam

Postby 109-1105722616 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:39 pm

its just a shame that he was shafting hyypias missus and he had to go, good luck i say, he was good in his day
109-1105722616

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:02 pm

marklfc wrote:its just a shame that he was shafting hyypias missus and he had to go, good luck i say, he was good in his day

Shut Up Diaponeer
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:08 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
marklfc wrote:its just a shame that he was shafting hyypias missus and he had to go, good luck i say, he was good in his day

Shut Up Diaponeer

what was up with my comment then, its rumoured that he was having a go at hyypias missus, it has even been posted on this forum and you lot seem to take great pride in ganging up on people on this board.  no wonder most members on this board leave after such a short space of time.

hyypia and henchoz were good together but it is a shame that they have had there disagreement and one has to leave, bu the plus side to that is that we have realised how good JC is.
109-1105722616

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion