Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:22 am

so thats to be expected really

What.......... At a charity match, is that really to be expected  :no
66-1112520797

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:25 am

Bamaga man wrote:
so thats to be expected really

What.......... At a charity match, is that really to be expected  :no

yeh it is bad, but the Rangers and Celtic rivalry is monumental, and is the cause of much worse things, so i wasnt suprised to see a former rangers player booed at this game.  :(
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:05 am

if we were playing the scum in a charity match would you boo neville and rooney?  i would.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:05 pm

BOODIDDY wrote:if we were playing the scum in a charity match would you boo neville and rooney?  i would.

maybe thats why the world has gone the way it has. (just a suggestion). rivalry and banter have always had a place in football-they always should. but not just for the sake of superficial things. and yes, those two need to wise up to that too. theyre no angels, far from it. but when you think about it..what 'boo' ever hurt anybody..?  tearing them apart through humiliation on the pitch brings about a much better outcome...respect, remember that word? not many of us use it though, including me.

last nights game:

fwiw.. the days of wine and roses are long gone. and the candles on the 1980's cake are just about ready to go out forever, let alone any remnants from the previous era...

the decade began with a great loss to this club. and ended with an even greater tragedy. some say the death of the club. but inbetween, some of the finest vintage ever was displayed to the world...

last night was far from a classic. and at times it was downright awful to watch. but when you see talent of the calibre of old such as rush, houghton, dalglish, barnes, beardsley,kennedy, hansen and the surprisingly fit lawrenson on display. it makes an already worthwhile cause even more applaudable, however,

it is time though to close the book on that period once and for all. it used to be expected that whenever a 'liverpool XI' took the stage it usually meant the likes of the above involved in an exhibition of footballing excellence and a lesson in sheer class to any opposition hotch-potch of alleged 'stars' put together to recall fond memories...these 'gods' of our cherished club were never seriously tested competitively, let alone by a collection of balding, bloated ex-lower league binmen who happened to have been someones best mate in the right place at the right time. they were never going to hold up..quite simply the large majority of former Liverpool players from the 70s and in particular the 80s could and would have destroyed anyone put in their path. and frequently did.

the same cannot be said of the personel during the 90s.

and frankly it became a bit of a damp squib last night, notleast painfully evident when the likes of walters,marsh even dare i say mcmanaman to an extent (great goal tbf) took the field in the name of the 'mighty reds'.  for me there were only the fingers of one hand necessary when acclaiming that decade with heroes worthy enough. they dont need naming.

we may well in time have yet another batch of messiahs to worship from the misty viewpoints of memory lane someday...but for now the unblemished kings of the kop should be put back into their footballing boxes and be left well alone to reverberate through our hearts and minds for all time...as they always will deserve to.

you cannot however extinguish the heart and desire of these fellas from a golden age. and that was poignantly expressed by Mark Lawrenson once he'd been subbed " the brain knows what it wants to do-but the legs just cant anymore"

and like everything ive read this last week regarding legendary deeds and the strength they give to ordinary men... it comes to the point where it really is best to bow out on a high.

but,legends they will forever be....there is no need for them to take the trouble to prove it to us OR themselves anymore, however great a man each of them still are. i guess you can never tame a spirited soul in the environment its thrived in, why should you.....but there are so few of them left...for now.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:19 pm

i just thought it was funny that they spelt gary mcallister's name wrong on the back of his shirt. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:28 pm

"I see Mark Lawrensons having a puff "
"Im glad you said that not me"

Commentators last night :D
account deleted by request

Postby greenred » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:37 pm

Fantastic post red37.:)
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:38 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:It's a disgrace the way the celtic fans are booing mark walters, michael thomas and john barnes each time they touch the ball  :no

Michael Thomas didnt get booed, they were booing Mark Walters coz he used to play for Rangers, so thats to be expected really. They were probably booing Barnes because he was so :censored: for them as manager, bit harsh though, to boo a former manager.

Oh and by the way Ian Rush was making some excellent runs while he was on, clearly hasnt lost any of the old predetory instincts.

Ahh of course. Didn't think of that. Thanks for clearing that up.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:32 pm

A very faraway Liverpool fan like me will never get the chance to see matches like this. Any downloadable clips of the goals from this match?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:29 am

Here ya go...

Legends Goals
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion