Liverpool's best current 11

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:35 pm

Remember when there used to be lots of arguments about the best 11? ???  Don't know if this consensus constitutes progress or not. :O
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Well the next question is - Is that first 11 good enough to win the prem ???

For me - Yes
Benny The Noon

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Well the next question is - Is that first 11 good enough to win the prem ???

For me - Yes

Dunno, mate.  No team gets through a whole season with a fixed 11 so it's a bit of an artificial thing to say that that 11 is good enough.  It's a squad game these days and the fact is, our squad is simply not strong enough, IMHO.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 pm

next question  - why are we not in contention for the title

For me - the manager
account deleted by request

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:41 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Well the next question is - Is that first 11 good enough to win the prem ???

For me - Yes

Dunno, mate.  No team gets through a whole season with a fixed 11 so it's a bit of an artificial thing to say that that 11 is good enough.  It's a squad game these days and the fact is, our squad is simply not strong enough, IMHO.

Yeah i know mate - it was more a theortical question as i know we need more than just first 11 .
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:42 pm

s@int wrote:next question  - why are we not in contention for the title

For me - the manager

Oi its my thread and only im allowed to ask the questions . Behave

:angry:

:D
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:42 pm

And for me to answer your question

Players
Injuries
Poor form
Manager
Owners

A combination of the above
Benny The Noon

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:58 pm

With the current line up we have, I think a 5-3-2 is probably more suitable....
Glen Johnson has shown that he's better in attack than in defense... (not saying he's sh!te in defence btw... just better in attack). Aurelio IMO would make a fine wingback too. The lack of pace in defence probably warrants an extra man too.

I'd line up something like this.

Reina

Skrtel Carra Agger
       Johnson                          Aurelio

Masch
               Gerrard         Lucas

Yossi
                          Torres

I've omitted Aquilani because I've not seem enough of him to be sure. And I think that Yossi is the more creative player and would be a very good foil for Torres with his clever brain. Plus, I would stick Gerrard back in his strongest role. 2p worth.... A bit controversial, I know..... But I've been banging the 5-3-2 drum for a while and I still reckon we should give it a go. :p
ConnO'var

Postby Sir Roger » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:18 am

Does anyone know why he played Darby last night?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:23 am

Sir Roger wrote:Does anyone know why he played Darby last night?

He's been waiting in the wings for a while and with the game being a dead rubber and with Johnson in need of a rest, it seemed as good an opportunity as any to give the lad a run out.
LFC2007

Postby Sir Roger » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:54 am

LFC2007 wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:Does anyone know why he played Darby last night?

He's been waiting in the wings for a while and with the game being a dead rubber and with Johnson in need of a rest, it seemed as good an opportunity as any to give the lad a run out.

So Rafa wasnt really ars'ed about the result?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:59 am

Sir Roger wrote:So Rafa wasnt really ars'ed about the result?

You seem keen to draw that conclusion? I feel a temptation to say you're talking b0llocks.....

Anyhow, it was just the one inexperienced reserve he fielded from the outset, hardly waving the white flag. One, incidentally, who many wanted to see - particularly those keen on seeing Rafa bring through local talent. What better fixture than a game against fairly good opposition, but where the result would ultimately be academic? With Johnson in need of a rest ahead of the Arsenal game, it couldn't have been a more apt opportunity.

Besides, if he truly wasn't ars'ed about the result he wouldn't have fielded a team that contained 6 or 7 regulars, bringing on Torres and Pacheco late on to try and get the win.
LFC2007

Postby Owzat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

For me - Yes

Bearing in mind it is only really Aquilani and Johnson for Alonso and Arbeloa from last season, I think the answer is 'probably not'. Still need goals, but for Kuyt's spanking form last season would we have even come as close as we did? It would be presuming waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy to much that Aquilani will be the difference, also bearing in mind he was the only player missing for the early part of the campaign when we were poor on the whole.

Results by quality of opposition

ARS/MNU/CHE/TOT/MNC : P5 W1 D1 L3 (Won 20.00%)
AVL/FUL/BIR/EVE/SUN/FIO/OLY : P9 W1 D2 L6 (Won 11.11%)
BLA/WHU/LEE/HUL/BOL/DEB/BUR/STO : P9 W8 D1 L0 (Won 88.89%)

You could argue about who should be in the top, middle or bottom bracket, but West Ham, Bolton, Hull and bitters are in the bottom six, Debrecen lost all six games and we were the only side that didn't score 4+ goals in their wins, lids are in league one, we comfortably stuffed Stoke and Burnley although you could argue they and Blackburn are decent sides if you want to believe it.

Our best form this season was when we won six games in a row in all competitions, that included Debrecen, Leeds, West Ham, Hull, Bolton and Burnley none of whom are or would be in the top 13 in the Premiership.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brentd4 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:21 pm

reina
johnson           skrtel       carra             agger

mascherano
benayoun                                          riera
                         aquilani

gerrard
                                    torres
brentd4

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:13 pm

Thats an interesting one - Agger at left back ?
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion