L`pool better than united, player by player - Says stephane henchoz!?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thor Viking » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:25 pm

Just been reading in norwegian paper that SH has stated that Liverpools players are better than Ma.Uniteds ! ???  ??? 
He doesn`t care if the difference is 19pts !

Dreamplayer for the club ! ???  :D

Any1 think anything serious `bout this ?
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:16 pm

It is his opinion and it isn't as crazy as it sounds, certainly if you compare key players from both sides

Van Nistelrooy vs Owen - close
Scholes vs Gerrard - slightly different players, hard to compare
Keane vs Hamann - Gerrard would hold his own
Ferdinand vs Hyypia - not much in it
Silvestre vs Henchoz - not much in it
Howard vs Dudek - not much in it
Giggs vs Kewell - nothing in it
Saha vs Baros - probably manu player
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:37 pm

I agree, man for man there is not that much to choose betweent the 2 teams. Which is why i remain confident that if a new manager comes in he will not need to make wholesale personnel changes.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:40 pm

I think some of the main differences are :

- overall strength of squad
- attitude
- style
- performance (individual)
- the MANAGER
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redandblue » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:58 pm

Owzat is about right.

I think that Henchoz's comments were foolish in the extreme. We are light years away from United in terms of results, performances and trophies.

I do believe that Van Nistelrooy IS a better striker than our dear Michael. Scholes is sensational and even the Neville Sisters know how to get a result.

The key difference is a winning ATTITUDE which United have in spades and a great MANAGER.

United ALWAYS seem to have at least two players in the six yard box whenever there is an attack. What do we have? Er, not much.

On the other hand, if Henchoz is saying that the players THINK that they are as good as United, then perhaps that is implicit criticism of mad Houllier. Now, instead of being foolish, that would be really smart.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thor Viking » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:36 pm

Owzat wrote:I think some of the main differences are :

- overall strength of squad
- attitude
- style
- performance (individual)
- the MANAGER

As far as I know the two teams I agree. However, the best team in Norway, Rosenborg, has some postulates that I think United is better at than L`pool :

1 continuity, in the club in general and in the squad
2 always make sure you set your mate in a position where he is best !
3 stability

How long have Fergie been manager and how long has GH ?
How long has Nevilles,Giggs, Scholes and Keane been in United. How long has the board been there, except mr. Kenyon was it, bought by Chelski ?

Do you think this is important in pointing at the differences ? 
???   ???
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:38 pm

A manager who has been there five years is unlikely to achieve what Ferguson did. In some ways Ferguson got lucky with the signings of Keane, Schmeichel, Cantona, Pallister and Bruce working with the youngsters manu were lucky enough to have

If time is an issue, how come it took Wenger only a year or two to do the double and, I don't recall exact details, but Graham did similarly well when he was Arsenal manager
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1065305004 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:06 pm

Well on this one I agree with Henchoz, I mean it was the same squad that finished higher than United two seasons ago(despite the turmoil of losing our manager for more than half of that season), I have always said we dont need many changes, just get rid of a few of the dead wood and a change in manager and we will have the same quality in our squad as your Man.Utd and Arsenals.
116-1065305004

Postby big al » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:30 pm

We have good players, we do need three more, especially in the right mid.  The problem is all about management.  With the right man at the helm I think we could give Man U a run for there money. 

Problem is however that Arsenal and Chelsea could be on the way up and if they establish themselves they'll be hard to catch particularily on the finance front.  Arsenal coculd easily fill a ground with 20.000 more fans a week thats a potential income of just over £750,000 per fortnight just under £20m a year including cup and freindly revenue.  As for Chelsea they have the finances to emulate Madrid already.  Biggest bonus is they are both in the Capital city.  Lots of players have said that life in London is preferable to the large provencial cities.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:59 am

I dunno, Man U does pretty well with ticket sales and so do we.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Owzat » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:07 pm

manu haven't had rvn missing much and other bits of luck have worked in their favour
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thor Viking » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:41 pm

Owzat wrote:manu haven't had rvn missing much and other bits of luck have worked in their favour

This needs translating I`m afraid ! ???  :(
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:42 pm

It means rvn hasn't been injured much at manu
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thor Viking » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:47 pm

Owzat wrote:It means rvn hasn't been injured much at manu

Ok -it makes more sence, but wot is rvn ? ???
Thor Viking
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:48 pm

Thor Viking wrote:
Owzat wrote:It means rvn hasn't been injured much at manu

Ok -it makes more sence, but wot is rvn ? ???

I'll give you a clue
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion