Stephane henchoz - On his way out?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:11 pm

I see Stephane Henchoz played for the reserves last night. Looks like he could be on his way out in january which is a shame. How Djimi Traore is ahead of him in the pecking order is a mystery to everyone.

Henchoz is great at basic "defending" - blocks, tackles, etc.

But his lack of pace and propensity to drop deeper and deeper meant his number was up. Sami is better in the air, better at reading the game, and just generally a better footballer. As both are snail-slow, one had to go, and Henchoz was rightly left out for Carra IMO. The H&H combination was great in tough away games where we defended with every man behind the ball - but as soon as the midfield wasn't babysitting the defence (in trying to play more attacking football), it was exposed.

Igor got a lot of stick last season for his 'obvious' mistakes, but I still recall goals like those away at Pompey and Man City, where ex-Reds Berger and Fowler both scored from close range with Henchoz (criminally deep at the time) playing them onside. Few people picked up on it, because he didn't gift the ball to the opposition or slip over - but it was still terrible defending, and they were still mistakes.

If Henchoz had pace, he'd be undroppable. As it is, he could be on his way.

Shame really. After all, he was as responsible as Michael Owen for us winning the 2001 FA Cup final. Just ask Thierry Henry. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:33 pm

Henchoz had one incredible season, in 2001, when it looked like he could block anything (and not just with his arms!).

That season I thought the likes of Hyppia, Rio Ferdinand etc won all the plaudits while personally I though Henchoz was the best out and out no frills defender in England that year.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby mrcool2003 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:38 pm

2 b fair biscan, Traore will never b gd enough, its only a matter of time bf they r gone

the other night, 2 b honest noone was on the bench that could change the game, though i think pongolle would be good to bring on, benitez will sort it out if not january then end of season, one point is and maybe u dont agree but would it not be worth trying pongolle on the right of midfield, im sure he could do a better job than finnan?
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:41 pm

mrcool2003 wrote:would it not be worth trying pongolle on the right of midfield, im sure he could do a better job than finnan?

i suggested that a while back. he's got the pace to play there but i'm not sure about his crossing ability. newcastle have done it with bellamy recently so why not give it a go? :Oo:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:51 pm

Personally I'd give Darren Potter or Ritchie Partridge a shot.

Poor Ritchie will be about 33 before he eventually breaks into the team.  :(
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby mrcool2003 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:14 pm

yeah i thinking that about partridge but i think hes just came back from injury as far as i know so might be worth a look
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:17 pm

Richie P is a bit of an enigma. A lot of people put his non-emergence down to Houllier's apparent mistrust of a skillful attacker who might not have the requisite defensive capabilities.

But he seems as far away from the first team picture as ever and if he doesn't make the grade this year, he'll be moving on.

:(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:21 pm

I think he will go but respect to him he was part of a good defence and I will remember him fondly  :)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1090627431 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:26 pm

I was wodnering what happened to henchoz. Just cause Houllier liked him though, doesnt mean he's gonna be Rafa's cup of tea. Just like Heskey, Murphy etc.

He always looked puffed out anyway, with bright red puffy cheeks. I thought he was wearing Mascara at one point.

chuckle.
72-1090627431

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:57 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Personally I'd give Darren Potter or Ritchie Partridge a shot.

Poor Ritchie will be about 33 before he eventually breaks into the team.  :(

:D
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion