Favourite pool player - Ignore abiltiy

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:38 am

who is your favourite liverpool player ever? dalglish is probably the best ever  but this is about your favourite for emotional reasons.

mine is john aldridge (i never wanted him to play for ireland, or houghton,or lawrenson) but he just seemed to love every minute out there, i found it a joy. in recent years even melllor was a poor enough manc but i felt he love playing for such a great club ( i give  only madrid the nod in terms of great clubs' de stefano never played for us).

a lot drunk but you get my point, players that really loved to play for liverpool like we would.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:42 am

Mine was Ian Callaghan absolutly loved him . kind an gentle natured footballed but with class an an engine that never ran out. Was a red through an through
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:52 am

I always had a soft spot for Dean Saunders. When Souness took charge, he had a stinker with injuries including his signings. He signed Saunders and Mark Wright. Mark Wright was lost for most of that season and Saunders was stuck with a makeshift team for a majority of the time he was with us. His four goals in one match against Limassol I think it was, cheered up my week no end at that time.

Another player Emlyn Hughes. Everything about the guy just screamed "enthusiasm". On the pitch or off it, just listening to him or watching him perform off the pitch gave you a good feeling.

My favourite player of all time. Graeme Souness. Possibly the greatest ever midfielder. He really did have everything. The best way to put it is this, think of all our past captains and pick one. Souness would be captain of any team in any decade.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:55 am

I hate what's your fav questions because I always have many candidates.

Ignoring ability, and ignoring influence they have in the team, and only taking in consideration "favouritism" It's a tough one between Aldo/Alonso/Dalglish in my head.

But since, without Aldo, I wouldn't have started my love for Liverpool, then he becomes my fav player. He "caught" me.

Aldo, then.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:57 am

steve mcmanaman for me, frustrating player at times but when he was on form no one could touch him!

was absoultely gutted when he went to madrid! :(
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:03 am

Too many to choose from for me. When I was younger I didn't appreciate the game in quite the same way, i was still a slave to it, but it was different. My faves back in the (at least my day, your'll have to go a good deal further for nanny's day :-) day were Beardsley and Barnes. In the nineties it was Fowler and this past decade I swing between Gerrard and Carra depending on the day :)
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:05 am

i really hated when mcmanamann said he would raise his kids as bitterss (is that child abuse? :D )

fowler, carragher, sg etc were raise evertonians and even dalgislh was rangers but after all those years at a club i woudl expect respect.

ronnie whelan (I know i sound biased, but i think he was top class) openly admits to being raised manure fan (nearly all irish follow one or the other due to emigration) but i just feel the club should be in your heart.

houghton, on irish tv always says, we, he still loves the club
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:09 am

Today i love Xabi . but i must say i always had a soft spot for Stevie  Nichol,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mramo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:24 am

Always liked Vegard Heggem. Moulded my skills & on-field position playing around him. Was never shy of getting stuck into tackles & I'll never forget his goal against Middlesbrough at Riverside in 98/99. I made right wing back/winger my own position for my local team.
mramo

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:35 am

can you guess mine ?  :laugh:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:54 am

Mascherano or Torres
JoeTerp

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:02 am

Big Niall wrote:i really hated when mcmanamann said he would raise his kids as bitterss (is that child abuse? :D )

fowler, carragher, sg etc were raise evertonians and even dalgislh was rangers but after all those years at a club i woudl expect respect.

ronnie whelan (I know i sound biased, but i think he was top class) openly admits to being raised manure fan (nearly all irish follow one or the other due to emigration) but i just feel the club should be in your heart.

houghton, on irish tv always says, we, he still loves the club

when you say sg do you mean gerrard? he was never an evertonian, read his biography and it will explain the picture in the everton kit.

like nanny I am lucky I go back further than most on here (but not as far back as nanny, I don't remember the club being formed  :D), callaghan is a great shout, just look at the number of appearances he made, dalglish played the game with a smile, souness was an awesome player.

wow this is so hard, we are lucky to have been blessed with so many stars over the years but I think i would go back in time and agree with nanny on ian callaghan, always reminded me of an actor for some reason, great player and great personality
112-1077774096

Postby Mikz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:08 am

Stevie Gerrard for me. No player has gave me the emotion he has , for me the greatest player ever to wear the shirt.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:36 am

John Barnes for me, an all-round class act! not a bad rapper either. :D
RedRoots

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:09 am

Mikz wrote:Stevie Gerrard for me. No player has gave me the emotion he has , for me the greatest player ever to wear the shirt.

:nod , mine as well . Where would be without gerrard ?
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion