metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:49 pm

God. :nod

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby europian-kings » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:55 pm

It was all about my fifa99 startling line up!

James
Staunton
Babb
Carragher
Heggam
Beger
Ince
Redknapp
Mcmanaman
Owen
Fowler

:D
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:05 pm

Jan Molby our midfield maestro ,most technically gifted player to ever grace Anfield ,his passing was a veritable joy to watch .. :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:33 pm

2 Erik Meijer - He’s big, he’s red, he’s off his f*****g head. Never has a song summed up a player so well. The Big Dutchman who was snapped up on a Bosman from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer of 1999 proved to be a popular figure with the fans, but it was certainly not for his goalscoring prowess. Meijer was a proper loon, but in a good way. As committed a player as any that have ever played for the club, Erik only knew one way to play, flat out.

Anyone who watched him stomping around St Helens like a madman in reserve games will testify to how committed this man was. Reserve games against Sheffield Wednesday were treated with the same gusto most players would save for cup finals. What he lacked in talent he attempted to make up for with sheer effort, and the one thing Liverpool fans always warm to is a trier.

Erik made 27 appearances in total for the reds, but managed only two goals, both coming in the same game at Boothferry Park against Hull City in the League Cup. Many of his appearances came from the subs bench, where his physical presence and heading ability proved useful whether we were chasing a game or protecting a lead. It became a customary sight, the game would stop for a throw in or corner kick, Erik would enter the field and sprint to the near post and demand the ball.

Another regular sight was his first pumping, arm gesturing to the crowd to get them whipped up. It didn’t matter whether it was 15,000 fans on the Kop, or 15 fans on the terraces at Knowsley Road, Erik loved to get the crowd involved. Reserve games have never been as much fun as they were when the big Dutchman led the attack. There was never a dull moment. There was one occasion where he was in an offside position out wide, and he sneaked along the touchline doing this tip toe, Inspector Cluesoe type walk hoping the linesman wouldn’t see him. Mad as a sack full of crazy monkeys.

Another time he closed down a full back, who played the ball back to his keeper. So Erik chased down the keeper, who played it over to the full back on the far side. So Erik chased him too, and eventually got across there and blocked his attempted clearance and knocked the ball out for a throw. He then leapt to his feet, fist pumping and yelling ‘Come on!!!’ to the handful of die hards stood freezing on the touchline.

Another incident that stands out was in a league game at Anfield (against Bradford I think), where Erik took a ball full in the face from point blank range as he charged down a defenders clearance. There was an eery silence around the ground for a second or two as people waited to see what followed. It was almost like it happened in slow motion, as the giant striker paused for a second, looking as though he may be knocked down, only to suddenly regain his composure and shake his head furiously to shake off the cobwebs. A huge cheer went up, and he immediately set off after the ball again. That kind of commitment is a rare thing indeed, and if certain other players who possess considerably more talent than Erik had that kind of attitude, they could be world beaters.
taken from The blog The Liverpool way..

Erik Meijer ,aka  Erik The Red for the most infectious personality ,met the man, and he's a Liverpool lunatic ,totally off his trolley..
Would have loved him to score at Anfield because he would still be screaming now ....  :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:33 pm

[NOT QUALITY PLAYERS BUT PLAYERS WITH PERSONALITY WHO LOVED PLAYIN FOR US. :shifty[/quote]

EMLYN

No ones passion comes even close.

God bless yer lad.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:51 pm

Emlyn Hughes was class Reg, a brilliantly gifted player ,but sadly underrated as one of the greats
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:14 pm

My user name may give it away.. but Crazy Horse is my alltime LFC idol..

Legend!!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:20 pm

From out of my era it would have to be Tommy Smith!

As for my era growing up as a wee nipper it would have to be Fowler  :bowdown
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:24 pm

Thommo played with passion.... he had a big role taking over from Emlyn.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red H » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:39 pm

John Barnes.  Although slightly ruined by the dancing.
Red H

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:35 pm

Im sure yous lot cant read :laugh: Why Torres , Robbie, Barnsey, they are an were quality, It took me ages to grasp the thread an im ancient.

Players who just loved playin for us not world or top class players, comprende,

Yers are gettin on me nerves now pickin all good players :laugh: im not gonna tell you again
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:00 am

Can I choose one from each decade I've followed the Reds ?  Answer ................  Yes

Players who simply loved playing for us and it showed......................

70's - Emlyn Hughes

80's - Ronnie Whelan

90's - Robbie Fowler

00's - Gary Macallister

I've come over all warm and fuzzy ! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:25 am

Dalglish wrote:Can I choose one from each decade I've followed the Reds ?  Answer ................  Yes

Players who simply loved playing for us and it showed......................

70's - Emlyn Hughes

80's - Ronnie Whelan

90's - Robbie Fowler

00's - Gary Macallister

I've come over all warm and fuzzy ! :D

:laugh: Its not even my thread but ill let you off cause i like them players :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:20 am

stmichael wrote:John Barnes. Not just becasue he was a role model for black kids such as myself at the time. The guy was a genius.

:nod

agreed he was a model pro and to top it off had all the skill any player in game has ever had.

Also he could Rap !!

Ok an another note we don't really think about it but black sports men like barnes in that era done so much for breaking the race barrier around uk at that time.

People could see that blacks or whites all had same colour blood and I think it was a big help in reducing the racist remarks around grounds.

I thank him for all he had to go through in that time it could not have been easy.

He done so much for all of us.

Thats why for me he is a saint of football.  :bowdown
Last edited by LegBarnes on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion