Kewell set to return next week.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:10 am

He says hes ready to return, hes also said he will be available for the international between Australia and south africa in Durban next month ???
There is no way he should be aloud to go to Durban I dont care, with all our injuries we have we cant afford any more and if he goes, then the manager should put him in the reserves. :glare

Kewell to return next week
By Paul Mulvey in London
January 27, 2005

BUOYED by Liverpool's Carling Cup semi-final win without him, Harry Kewell was hoping to return from his groin injury as early as next week in a bid to win his first trophy in his 10 years in English soccer.

Kewell has missed Liverpool's last 10 games since late last month and, although he only made a tentative return to training this week, the Socceroos striker was confident he'd be back long before the February 27 Cup final against Chelsea.

He also declared that if he did make his comeback next week, he would be available for Australia's international against South Africa in Durban on February 9, although Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez was bound to disapprove.

"I'm looking to play hopefully by next week, but it's not my decision, it's down to the manager and physios to decide," Kewell said tonight in London after collecting the Young Australian Achiever in the UK award.

"I feel like I could jump off the building and land on the next one, I haven't felt this good for a while."

It was initially feared Kewell, 26, would need an operation on the groin but he hoped he had managed to avoid the surgeon's knife.

Surgery would have put an end to his season and cost him a place in Liverpool's Champions League match against Bayer Leverkusen on February 22 and the Carling Cup final in Cardiff five days later.

It would also have put him in doubt for the Confederations Cup in Germany in June but he said he would be "flying fit" for Australia's campaign.

Kewell anxiously watched on television as his team mates wrapped up a place in the decider with last night's 1-0 win over Watford in the second leg of the semi final.

"I watched the match last night and it was great, it'll be my first final I've ever been in, so it'll be fantastic to be a part of it," he said.

While Kewell was positive about his fitness, there was some concern from sources close to Liverpool that he was still not fully fit and an early return could risk further injury.

Hamstring, ankle and groin injuries ruined Kewell's confidence and form in 2004 as he was never able to return to 100 per cent fitness before another setback.

"It's a difficult one to say because if you've got experts looking at you and they're saying it's right and you're saying it feels good, you go out and play," he said.

"But you can't help it if everything feels good and them something does happen, you can't predict that. Something else could go on your body."

After his worst 12 months in his decade in the English premier league with Leeds and Liverpool, Kewell said tonight's award at an Australia Day dinner in London was a welcome bonus.

"It's always welcoming to have bright spots. I had a very big down last year but I feel positive now, I feel great and know what I can do," he said.

"It's a great honour to win the award because I know there are a lot of very successful Australians over here and I know how hard Australians work and what we're capable of doing."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:20 am

well at least someones sounding optomistic. I know we all had our criticisms of him, but even a mediocre Harry Kewell is better than none and beggars can't be choosers. let's hope he comes back with a bit of form and a reason to play as good as he did for leeds. Welcome back.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:21 am

Glad to hear Harry is feeling good, that means he will be confident when he steps on the pitch, fingers crossed he'll be like the Kewell of old :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:23 am

Yer but he cant go and play in Durban next month, and I dont know if Mialn will be called up but I bloody hope not :angry:
None of our players should be aloud to play internationals next month.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:31 am

Too true. You know that if any prem player gets injured, it's gonna get be one of ours.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:45 am

The FFA (Football Federation of Australia) arent p#ssy's ne more.  The got Viduka banned for 3 games for not showing up even though Leeds were in a real relegation battle (which the lost).  If Kewell doesnt go to Durban he will miss the next 3 games after that neway.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:48 am

Starbridge42 wrote:The FFA (Football Federation of Australia) arent p#ssy's ne more.  The got Viduka banned for 3 games for not showing up even though Leeds were in a real relegation battle (which the lost).  If Kewell doesnt go to Durban he will miss the next 3 games after that neway.

??? Sorry SB but he cant go, we need him what if he gets injured again?
We have missed him even though he wasnt playing nowhere near his best. Rafa cant let him go.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:56 am

For christs sake :angry:
Can understand a player wanting to be loyal to his country , but at the first sniff of a meaningless friendly in some far away place Kewell is usually first on the plane .
It's about time he remembered who's paying his fking wages .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:59 am

Hohohohohohoh woof can i just make the point that Kewell has been absent with a non-existant excuse more than any other Australian player in history.  And the point remains that Rafa will simply need to decide whether it is better to wait another 3 or so games before his ban expires or if he will release him and risk an injury.  If he is released tho Farina is probably the best coach he could possibly have because even when kewell, bresciano, viduka etc. do play if there is the risk of an injury he tends to take them off before it can eventuate
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:05 am

Woofs right SB hes always swanning off on internationals for Oz. And if he would have got his injury sorted last summer instead of frolicking with his mrs on some beach we wouldnt have this situation now. We dont even want Jamie or Stevie going on internationals, but they dont have to travel to the other side of the world, when called up where as Harry does, and South Africa, is a 10 hour flight. and we are in the Champions league next month.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SALTROCK67 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:09 am

Funny how his injury is better now that we are in a cup final!!
SALTROCK67

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:14 am

Starbridge , I get the feeling you consider Australia's football more important than LFC's .
Like I said ,playing for you're country in serious competition is of course acceptable but travelling anything from 12 - 15 thousand miles to take part in a second rate friendly is frankly taking the pi'ss.
As for Kewell missing more games than any other Aussie player ,guess what ? He holds the very same record at Liverpool  . :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:16 am

Always swanning off for internationals with Australia?!?! ???  What are you smoking woman!?  In a 9 year international career he has made less than 20 appearances.  And this from the man who has been voted (3 times I might add) as Australia's best ever player... and he's made less than 20 appearances in 9 years.  Thats barely 2 a year.  FFS Michael Owen has played more than 60 times in fewer years.  How has Kewell been constantly swanning off for internationals?

Have I missed something?  Milan Baros has played more times for his country this year than Kewell, so has Gerrard, Alonso, in fact just about every Liverpool player who is an international has played more internationals than Kewell!

Also are you trying to tell me that a player cant recover from a 10 hour plane trip in a month?  Im 14 and i can recover from a 26 hour plane trip in 2 days!  In fact I did when I went on the Queensland U15 sides tour of France, we played our first match 2 days after we landed and i got man-of-the-match in that game!  So Im pretty damn sure he can recover from the plane trip within a month even if he is on a £65000 a week salary.  We may not like it if he goes but I'll say it for a third time, rafa will have to decide whether to risk an injury or a ban its as simple as that.
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:18 am

Tee hee giggle chortle kerlaugh.  Woof I do not consider Australian football more important than LFC's i am merely saying that rafa will have to decide whether to risk and injury or a ban, its as simple as that...

Are you lot even reading what im saying?  Cos if you are you dont seem to be taking it in

Injury or ban - rafa's choice?  get it?
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:21 am

Starbridge42 wrote:rafa will have to decide whether to risk an injury or a ban its as simple as that.

No Starbridge ,Rafa will have to decide whether we want to hang on to this Aussie slacker .

:D

ps. surprised HK was voted australia's best ever player , IMO Craig Johnson was far and away a better player,maybe not as much natural talent as Kewell but a much more complete player.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion