Interesting... - Houlliers signings were all bad?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:29 am

Alot of you slag Houlliers signings... yet NO-ONE here is willing to give credit where its due. The worst two players on the pitch for my money where Luis Garcia and Josemi (not that they played badly. The rest were quality tonight.

This to me points out Houllier was right about Biscan and Traore, i've always thought they had something myself. Its just Benitez seems to be able to get the best out of them. I've always said i can see what Houllier wanted from Biscan and Traore even though they never performed. Well tonight you saw it.

Excellent performance and hopefully will continue.
115-1073096938

Postby adayinthelife » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:49 am

Cmon stu even you were admitting Traore was a lost cause awhile ago ???

As for Biscan he was rightly a laughing stock but yet again he was played out of position and desperately low on confidence.

Benitez deserves the credit for getting the best out of the 2 lads in 3 months what houllier failed to do in 6 years.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:50 am

fair point stu, but as you said Rafa can get the best out of these guys and Houllier failed to do that, proabaly due to the fact that his player management skills just weren't up to scratch.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:29 am

Most (Not all but most.) of his signings were quite horrible, a complete waste of money. When he had the chance to buy quality players such as Damien Duff he did not do so.

Benitez can get the good qualities from Biscan and Traore because he is a good manager but there are those who are completely hopeless such as Salif Diao even with the likes of Benitez.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:31 am

Stu, you admitted that Troare would be a good but never be a classy defender...how quick you change your tune. But I understand...because Troare and Biscan played well tonight. If Houllier is still in charge, we will NEVER see this level of play from any of them, so big credit must go to Rafa for "resurrecting" their career (and playing Igor at the correct position). My conclusion can only be that Houllier can spot a decent player but it takes people like Rafa or a Wagner to bring out the best in them.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:21 am

Yeah, i was arguing with a mate of mine for that but decided not to post anything in case i get a boot up my ****** for saying so.

GH can see talent, but he doesnt have the managerial (is that a word?) touch to make them grow. Big Sami and Henchoz were fantastic in the trebble season, both GH signings - but after his heart condition, the building of the players went down dramatically (not using that as an excuse, just ironic really). GH was never the same. IMO his signings have quality, or have the promise to become quality.

What makes a good manager different from a great one is that a great manager can see quality and then also help it grow from a player.
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:15 am

some managers can make
a bad player average
an average player good

houlier could not, the new guy seems to be able 2
well done biscan and jimmy
lets hope our manager can work his magic on kewell
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:27 am

Biscan and Traore ahve been revelations when they've played under Benitez (although Biscan is still a LONG LONG way from being as GH described him 'the croatian Zidane').  GH could spot potential, but couldnt mould them.  Actually I said that near the end of last season when he was still manager, I suggested at the time that maybe a coach with good man-managment skills to help GH would be good.  Benitez was an even better decision.  Biscan and Traore will never be world-class although they could become very, very good.  Kewell on the other hand.  If Benitez can correct his flaws then we could be looking at the next Ryan Giggs or George Best (maybe an exaggeration but look what Benitez has got out of Biscan and Traore).

If the players continue at this rate what are they going to be like next season?
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:33 am

Fair Point Stu, I have had my eye wiped with Djimmy this season, and Biscan has now the chance to move from cult figure of fun to genuine cult hero if his performances continue in the same vein.

You did miss out Milan, who is looking more and more like a snip at £3M from Banik Ostrava, and Houllier percevired with him despite some weight problems in the first year or so.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:39 am

I don't think the guys and gals here slag off Houllier's signings just for the sake of slagging them off or if they are anything personal against him.

The bare facts are that too many of Houllier's signings did not work, in fact, a majority of them did not perform to expectations. This was the main bone of contention amongst us. Look at other managers - Wenger or Ferguson. They have bought many players, but the majority of them worked, performed. There are no perfect managers but in order to be percieved as a success, your methods, signings and results have to work in your favour most of the time, not a small portion of the time.

Even so, it took another manager to produce positive results from Houllier's signings. What does that tell us? It tells us that Houllier has got it wrong on the playing side, tactical side and the man-motivating side. It took 4 years and a change of managers, playing style and tactics to get Biscan to perform decently.

It is amusing to me to see why some people miss the big picture!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:02 am

The Houllier, Thompson, Lee, Patrice and Corrigan 'Boot Room' team, seemed to have the skill of taking promising players and coaching their ability out of them. A lot of players have seen their career's go into reverse upon arrival at Anfield.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:23 am

It has a lot to do with the ultra cautious and narrow style of play advocated by them. When it worked, fine. But when it did not, they panicked and bought wide players like Kewell, expect him to do miracles, while the rest of the team were instructed to play much the same way. Creative players like Litmanen were sparsely used. Liverpool suffered when the accurate passing range of MacAllister was gone. None of the players before Benithez came, Gerrard included, are consistent long passers.

Houllier, after his French side let in 2 late goals and destroyed their 1994 W Cup campaign, instilled a very cautious approach in his players and stifled individualism, so much so that "flair" players are deemed "not Liverpool type of players"

Notice how Liverpool of the past 2 seasons are so predictable, try to pass through the middle and when this fails, the only alternative was route one with Gerrard and Murphy (if he plays) punting the ball for Owen to chase and hopefully score. Stevie G was forced on too many occassions to make risky long passes or try to take the game by the scruff of the neck and lead by example. How many times can one player keep doing this?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:32 am

Biscan: one or two good performances in 4 years at just under £7m (plus no doubt £20g+ a week wages) hardly constitutes good business.

Its great to see Igor doing well last night, but the guy is an adult and a professional footballer, its about bloody time he started delivering something back to the club.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:43 am

Consensus seems to be that Benitez is a manager and Houllier is a scout.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:49 am

I am not sure about the scout part, Greenred. Scoputs should be able to judge both potential and ability and it seems that houllier is not really good at either.

What he is good at is doing the administration side - like what he did at Clairfontaine by setting up the infrastructure, the training ground and running this side of the football development.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion