Interesting... - Houlliers signings were all bad?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:08 pm

The point is Houllier KNEW potential when he saw it

Give me a break...let me have £100M to splash and I am bound to hit a few more jackpot than Houllier did. He gambled most of the time and there are more miss than hit, and besides what's good in spotting talent when you don't even know how to appreciate, utilise, manage and motivate them? He paid way over the odds for some of these "talents" and could have done much much better with the money. He left Rafa with a huge wage bill which we have yet to sort out.

To know how to spot a talent and maximise their value, look no further than Arsene Wegner, and to a large extent, our very own Rafa Benitez.

Seriously, it would be very interesting to know how much agent fees we paid and to which "agent" during his 6 years reign.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:18 pm

Santa wrote:

Give me a break...let me have £100M to splash[/quote]
hope you dont mean yer leg mate, however, that 100 mill would come in handy if you needed a quick fix  :D
106-1093504160

Postby Paul C » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:41 pm

I just look at the fact that GH spend aprox £120 and look at what we have for it? Chelsea spent that and look at what they have! :(

I think he bought some promissing players like Baros, Biscan, Hyypia, Hamman, Henchoz, etc but he bought some sh1t3 too like Cheyrou, Ferri, Dundee, Meijer, Diomede, etc.

Overall he bought more good than bad but he wasted a lot of money and deflated a lot of players confidence thus making them bad players :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby who the hell is diarra » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:26 pm

If you look at GH's record b4 he came to Anfield with the French National side he had been a great technical director , spotting players, developing teams and strategies but an average manager. He seems to have a canny eye for players but is only average at man managment and motivating which ultimatly let him down.
Last edited by who the hell is diarra on Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life
der der ........der der der der der

Drummerphil You'll never walk alone
who the hell is diarra
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:45 pm

Houllier was a very good manager. In the end he wasn't a great manager.

Benitez has the potential to become a great manager as did Houllier

I'm sorry am I reading this clearly or are you saying that Benitez has the potential of becoming a great manager as Houllier? You're joking? Benitez to me is already a better manager than Houllier ever was.

To me this isn't a surprise. Benitez did the same thing at Valencia as he is doing with Biscan and Traore. He turned poor players into class players who eventually were holding the La Liga trophy.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:56 pm

Spot on A.B. you don't win La Liga two out of three years with Valencia unless you're something special. Houllier? wouldn't mention him in the same breath to be honest.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:59 pm

Yes but lets not belittle Houllier

He did lose it in the end but he did good things as well

And he has gone
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:35 pm

He done alot. But in the end not enough.

Good but not great...

Thats the end of it.
115-1073096938

Postby Dalglish » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:44 am

Whats this ? Everyone getting an hard on cos Biscan actually has a half decent game ???

I suggest you lok no further than Igor Biscan as to the reasons why he's not performed anywhere near the standard required at this level. Ok he has a decent game last night and he is to be applauded but your kidding yourself if you believe he is going to play like that week in week out .........

Traore has performed consistently well this season and may survive the next players cull at liverpool but don't be surprised to see Biscan gone in Jan especially if he puts in another few performances like last night against a Low on confidence and under performing Deportivo !!!! ??? Should help up the price :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:50 am

I don't think Rafa will off-load any players during January
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:53 am

Not even Daio ?
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:57 am

Good one!..I have this image of Harry Secombe walking through the snow trying to sell Diao to anyone..
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:07 am

:D Harry's R.I.P I think or am I mixing him up with someone else !!! :laugh:

The more I think about it I suspect Raffa won't offload anyone either but he wil almost certainly buy a striker and a couple of defenders. Until Cisse's injury the number 1 priority has been to strengthen the defense. We have conceded goals in all but 2 Prem games this season and thats  a concern........

Josemi has gone off the boil after a decent start, Hyppia is not playing to his usual high standard and improved as Traore is I don't believe he is assured a start at Left Back every week .....Carra has been possibly our best player so far this season, certainly the most consistent.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:19 am

We have to bring in a forward...but with money being tight,I can't see us bringing in anymore defenders.We do need a centre-half.There are a few members on here who think Sami is world class,I'm not one of them.I believe he hasn't been the dominant figure,he once was,for quite awhile now.Last year even Biscan was taking the flak for Sami's poor shows.Carragher has lead the defence well this term and may well be the ideal partner to a new "collosus" that I'm sure will be at Anfield next summer.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:20 am

Dalglish wrote: :D Harry's R.I.P I think or am I mixing him up with someone else !!! :laugh:

Kewell sold in January!!!...
supersub
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion