Interesting... - Houlliers signings were all bad?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mrcool2003 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:05 pm

and you thought they had something yourself? what a load of rubbish, you must of been the only liverpool fan to have thought that, houllier is gone get over it, move on, benitez is manager not the french t******
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Houllier did make some good signing including Baros, Hyypia, Henchoz, Hamann,Riise.

As for the "bad signings", Houllier didn't show enough faith in them for them to become good signings, maybe he was wary after showing faith in Heskey and Diouf, wow let him down.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:37 pm

Oh dear oh dear. This predictable rant from the die-hard Houllier fan club is as predictable as it is sad. I always found Gerrards refusal to admit the obvious, that he was totally out of his depth to be one of the less endearing features of this undeniably amiable and pleasant man. His reliance on pointless and frequently banal statistics in the face of overwhelming evidence made me, for the first time in my life embarassed to be a Red. Unfortunately in some cases, his fan club think a similar stance is appropriate which once again is I think unfortunate.
Just to try and put things in perspective on Djimi and Igor. Regardless of how good Igor turns out to be, (and realistically I don't think a world player of the year award is round the corner, call me a pessimist etc) but to pretend he was anything other than a ridiculous purchase is flying in the face of reality. He's been here four years. I quite like the guy, interviews very well seems like a decent bloke etc and he had a top game last night no question but come on, lets be serious for a second. In the case of Traore, are we seriously to be led to believe that Houllier saw his embryonic talent all those years ago and thought, "I know what, I'll buy him now. He'll be absolutely useless for three or four years but in year five, he-haw he-haw sacre bleu watch him go!" Do me a favour. Indeed when Houllier talked of his 'legacy' to Rafa, (he left a legacy alright!) he didn't even mention Traore among the 'promising' young players he had left. So clearly even the great man must be surprised by Djimi's form.
No, in my book when you get a manager take over a shambolic collection of misfits which constitute a one-man team if ever there was one and reform them into a fighting unit you don't praise the guy before, you get on your soapbox and say well done Rafa. What an achievement. Seriously, if somebody had said last season that we were going to play Deportivo away in the CL, no Gerrard, Owen or Heskey. The only additions to the players from last year would be a solid enough if unspectacular right-back and a 'trick or treat' midfielder, neither of which would perform a starring role on the night. Would you give us much chance? Not a sh-it show in hell I wouldn't have thought. It's ALL down to Rafa, not GH.
One last thing, if Diao ever has a good game ( I know its a big IF ) are we gonna have a debate about whether he was a good signing as well?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:46 pm

No one is really saying that Troare and Biscan are great signings, or even good signings. What we are saying is that it is hard to judge how good a player is when faith is never shown in him to play in his best position.

Biscan has finally been given the chance to play in his best position, which is alongside an anchor man in central midfield. And he put in his best ever performance for Liverpool. I do agree that he was overpriced and he will never be good enough to be a regular on our team, but it is nice to know we have players to call upon who can do a good job for us.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:51 pm

I guess when i talk about predictability Luke, I'm on about Stu really. He undoubtedly has a good knowledge of the game but defo' has a blind spot when it comes to the Houllier era I think.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:53 pm

I have been reading Stu's comments since he arrived on the forum, and he can often be eratic in his views.

But overall he is one of the more respected members of the forum.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:07 pm

Its all been daid really.. Houllier had no idea what positions to play people in and was too scared to let his team off the leash and attack.  The squad has not really changed that much.. just the style of play.  Some of the one touch football last night was brilliant, it shows a confidence in the team that really was never shown under Gerrard Houllier.  Hats off to Raffa, the boy has done good...  and its only early.

I think Biscan is probably only a squad player, as once Gerrard, Alonso and (apparently) Nunez come back I can't see a way in for him.

Traore, though, I think could make the position his own.  I think he is a better defender that JA Risse and all great sides are built on a solid defence.

Well done Reds, last night was wonderful to watch and really a lesson to Deportivo on how to play away from home in Europe.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby taff » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:32 pm

In a Roy Evans article on Sunday he actually criticised Houllier for his man management skills saying he avoided confrontation.

Houllier would be a world class administrator setting up academies etc and we have to be grateful for what he did to the club on that front but with Benitez its starting to look like weve got the type of manager who can turn players around.  With Cloughie his players tended to flop away from Notts Forrest as he was the inspiration behind the team, could it be that we have that type of manager who for whatever reason brings out the best in players and sticks to a system that works.

This is still early days as well and we should not forget that God knows wht he'll be up to or buying in a years time
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:39 pm

Taff - Houllier nearly destroyed The Academy. Employing underqualified coaches, spitting his dummy out every couple of months and refusing to accept that we already had better than he was buying.

The Academy is in a healthier position now than at any time of Houllier's career. The kids actually believe they have a chance of getting through to the first team and a Boss who visits and talks to them. Benetiz listens to them unlike the last crew of management.

Good Post BigMick!!

JohnnyMac- You don't half seem interested in the Pink Pound lad.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:21 pm

JohnBull wrote:JohnnyMac- You don't half seem interested in the Pink Pound lad.

Haha the pink pound lad!!!

No John Bull, I'm no Backdoor Romeo.  I never have and never will take a stroll down Bourneville Boulevard.

It's like the Robbie Fowler rumours years ago, when he snorted the line on the grass.  He was alledgedly taking drugs from all kind of sources in the know.  (Not that I want Diouf to demonstrate what we are talking about here on the pitch if he scored as a gesture of defiance to people - God forbid that ever happens.)

I just want to know where the sources get their information from.
jonnymac1979

Postby adayinthelife » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:42 pm

After years of trying houllier failed to get anywhere near the best out of most of the players he bought.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:38 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Alot of you slag Houlliers signings... yet NO-ONE here is willing to give credit where its due. The worst two players on the pitch for my money where Luis Garcia and Josemi (not that they played badly. The rest were quality tonight.

This to me points out Houllier was right about Biscan and Traore, i've always thought they had something myself. Its just Benitez seems to be able to get the best out of them. I've always said i can see what Houllier wanted from Biscan and Traore even though they never performed. Well tonight you saw it.

Excellent performance and hopefully will continue.

cant agree with u on that.
If Houllier was right about them, he would have allowed them to play and develop. He just didnt have a clue what he got ???
whylongball?

Postby Benitez No1 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:54 pm

I thing what Houllier didn't have was respect of the players, look at the difference in Riise.
Benitez No1

Postby Redrider » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:23 pm

What happened to Cheyrou ? He looked real class, the first time I saw him play for Liverpool, cool, assured, comfortable on the ball, prepared to run out of midfield with the ball and take a man on etc.
Looked to me that all he needed was a bit more bite and some experience, but then he just wen't into reverse gear, lost his confidence on the ball and started running for the wide positions, they coached him out of the game.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:54 pm

The point is Houllier KNEW potential when he saw it. If you read my post you would clearly have saw that i said Benitez seems to be able to expand on this and turn it into ability and consistency.

Houllier was a very good manager. In the end he wasn't a great manager.

Benitez has the potential to become a great manager as did Houllier.

The players Benitez was left with that no-one rated...

Finnan, Biscan, Traore have all shown they are good players who should be able to improve more as this team becomes more complete.

No-one here is saying he didn't make bad signings, its obvious he did, but who doesnt?

The point is Benitez was left with alot better squad than idiots would have us believe. Look how we've fared so far without Gerrard, Owen and Smicer. There is room for improvement, but i think there are ALOT of players theree already that are worth keeping.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion