How long does it take to build a team? - How much would a team cost?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby haps » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:29 am

2001 was great ... no doubt. and there shouldn't be any disrespect to that achievement.  the manager played his part.  it looked rosy.  we all thought it was the beginning. we were all wrong, i guess. houllier is a good man and deserves a nice job somewhere and a happy life.  i really can't endorse his continued reign at liverpool fc though.  he has gone as far as he can.  thank you.  and welcome martin o' neill, a brilliant tactician, man-motivator, passionate managerial genius with his best days ahead of him.  sir alex knows that he can't do much more and the tide has turned.  i've got a feeling about the direction he's going to take next ... or soon, at least.  i don't want THEM getting the best man out there to perk up their years of domination.  have you SEEN arsenal year ... course you have ... they are phenomenal.  why can't we get these players?  why not us?  we can.  given the right person to spot them.  wenger is a genius and sure, he's got some money but nothing like chelski etc.  this arsenal team will take everything for years unless we step up with chelsea.  we've got a great nucleus - owen, hyppia, kirkland, hamman, the brilliant stevie gerrard and diouff ... sorry just joking ... but we've got some.  we're not as far off as you might think.  one thing that does have to happen though is a different playing philosophy.  a good manager like o'neill can bring us that.  thats it.  and if we donb't get o'neill , maybe curbishley would do the job.  we need a man like that.
haps

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:18 pm

Martin O'Neil? I'd rather have Evans back than him.

He's not upto it. His reputation goes before what he's actually done.

He's a great motivator of players, the media love him and a decent tactician but nothing more. He's not a tactical genius, he adopts a 3-5-2 with a phyiscal base rather than a skillfull one. At Liverpool its always been a mix and should always and forever be a mix of both skill and graft.

Houllier will get it right if he's given time.
115-1073096938

Postby Scottbot » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:49 pm

Thats bollox Stu - How can you criticise O'neil for producing teams that lack skill and flare and then sing Houlliers praises in the same sentence. since when have skill and flare been part of Houlliers footballing philosophy?

One question - Do you believe we will win the league with GH inj the helm? If so, when? another 5 years?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:07 pm

I agree in part with both of you. O'Neill lives off his reputation but then so does Gerard to some degree. Neither has delivered the goods at the highest level
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:27 pm

My two cents:

1. Signing Charlton Cole, Freddie Kanoute and Dawson from Notts Forest....sure, they will win us the league alright!  :D

2. Martin O' Neill has a massive reputation and the media love him.....I agree.

3. Martin O' Neill is currently managing a journey man side which I believe has punched above its weight in Europe and he has done everything he can possibly do with Celtic in Scotland.

4. Being a so-called "tactical genius" is not the only quality required for being a great manager. Louis Van Gaal has been described by many commentators as being one of the most tactically brilliant managers the game has ever seen, but he is arrogant and wilful and has gone into serius decline. I would count personality, work ethic, passion, man management and charisma as being just as important as tactical acumen.

Glenn Hoddle has a superb tactical brain and has a profound understanding of the game at a technical level but he's a pr##k who's arrogance has alienated players.

5. It goes without saying that you either have to win the UEFA Cup or the Champions League to win the SuperCup, but correct me if I am wrong but the super cup is an exhibition match played in Monaco at the dawn of the new season (ala the Charity Shield) and if you won the Supercup but had nothing else to show for the season then in my opinion the season is a failure. The Supercup is merely an afterthought from a PREVIOUS good season.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:50 pm

Im not getting back into the O`Neill debate.For me he is the best man for the job.End of.But I really dont see the point of down playing our European trophies.It seems self defeating to me.Real Madrid and AC Milan take the Super Cup very seriously and display the trophy alongside their European Cups.I think we should follow their lead and covet everything we win.You qualify for the Super Cup final by winning either the European Cup or the UEFA cup so its not as if its invitation only.At least theres a bit of glory in it.Wheres the glory in coming fourth in the league?
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:35 pm

The league is the ONLY cup worth talking about. It's nice to win the others but the English Championship is the only one that takes a really special team to win and if you win it twice ,in short notice, then you've got a GREAT team.The ridiculous business of 4th place getting you into the Champions League have cheapened that now and I find it hard to take it seriously.
The Super Cup is no more than EUFA line-me-pockets night. The only good thing to come out of the Super Cup was Keegans face when we beat his Kraut masters 6-0
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:53 pm

Stu when Houlier finallY leaves Liverpool will u PLEASE LEAVE 2.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:00 pm

Dav... unlike yourself kid... i'll support the club through thick and thin. That means good and bad times just incase you didn't know.

Nothing will make me smile more than the day Liverpool win the league again and i see the look of disgust on your face as we do it.... did you like that porto match? Your lot were pretty sh##e i thought.
115-1073096938

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:23 pm

Perhaps not as long as GH builts it  :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kozarets1914 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:36 pm

Sorry all! I'm so glad that jipsy REDTILLDEAD did shut his smelly mouth! TAKE CARE ALL! LEVSKI FOREVER :) GOOD LUCK FOR LFC TONIGHT! LEVSKI ARE WITH U :cool:
kozarets1914

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion