How long does it take to build a team? - How much would a team cost?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby greenred » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:04 pm

28 points behind Arsenal with a third of the season to play.Its a disgrace.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ade » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:54 am

greenred wrote:28 points behind Arsenal with a third of the season to play.Its a disgrace.

Spot on Green Red. Nothing more needs to be said.

And Stu, get real: 'go for Thommo or if not, then Dalglish'. Like I said on another post, you reek of all that sentimental badge-kissing nostalgia and complacency that has held this club back for over 10 years now. We should've called time on the boot room empire after Kenny quit in 91, rather than going to Souness and then Evans. The game and the league was changing then and we were still clinging on to our old ideas. Getting Kenny back now would be painful for too many reasons.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:30 am

Ade what in gods name are you chattin mate??

The main problem has been the lack of continuity from a good foundation. Evans and Souness didn't have a good foundation to build from. Souness had an aging side an Evans had Souness' mess.

The point is the foundations for a great side are there. Kewell, Gerrard, Owen, Hyypia ALL capable of walking into any side in world football. Then theres Hamann, Kirkland, Dudek and Carragher who all have immense quality. Theres also Finnan, Pongolle, Baros, Le Tallec, Vignal, Welsh with quality and unfulfulled potential in terms of ability. There are also players there like Smicer, Traore, Murphy and Riise who are all excellent players to have in a squad as most would walk into most of the sides in the country with the exception of the top 5.

If you go and change manager the chances are all but one or two of those players are likely to leave and it will take another 5 years to get back to where we are now and there is no garenteeing we'll get there. The grass is always greener i believe the saying is....

If there is continuity then the team may progress and fullfill its undoubtedly massive potential. If we keep these players together and one or two of the younger players progress aswell as one or two more signings of class ability then there is no reason we can't become a great team once more.
115-1073096938

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:54 pm

I am still in two minds about whether Houllier should be given another season. I think if in the summer he is willing to rectify some of his transfer mistakes then I would say give him another season.

If he does leave, I don't think Phil Thompson is the man, King Kenny would be good, but Stu does have a point about whether he will be able to jump straight back in to the modern game. One name that has been talked about is Ian Rush.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:59 pm

Kenny's day is gone, and as the old chestnut goes, "you should never go back in football...."

I'm not that keen on Ian Rush. He is completely untested.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:02 pm

Are you really dead agaist Houllier being given another season.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:07 pm

Stu - While Wenger inherited a good back four, he has changed that completely and didn't take over a Championship winning team (Arsenal hadn't won it since 1991)

Has and Stu - Houllier took over a team with some quality players, it isn't like someone asked him to turn a 3rd division team into potential champions
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:13 pm

Maybe so but you must admit we were standing still while everyone else were moving foward, if Evans had continued I think our league poistion would have got worse every year.

When Wenger came to Arsenal they had a very good defence to build on and some good attacking players like Bergkamp and Wright. But the point is, at that time the only real team competing for the Premership was Man Utd, Newcastle were never real contenders.

Now you have three teams competing for the Premership and two strong teams trying to break into the contenders league.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:18 pm

Evans finished 3rd twice and 4th twice, including a season where we finished level on points with the team in second (96/97) Had he sorted the defence instead of buying cr@p we would probably have finished higher

So you're saying Houllier didn't have any good players?!?!?!?! God would have something to say about that :D
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:23 pm

I think people over estimate the problems with Roy Evans.

Sure, we had a weakness in defence and were soft in the middle, as well as the Spice Boy and Guvnor nonsense, but people forget that we had a very talented squad which wasn't that far off the pace.

We never finished outside the top 3 or 4 under Evans.

He had some brilliant players at his disposal: McMannaman, Fowler, Owen and Redknapp (when fit) and to a lesser extent Collymore.

The biggest problem with Evans was that his side never reached its potential as certain players were guilty of unprofessionalism and complacency.

Things got bad under Evans but are we better off now? Honestly, when you think about it, have we really moved on? We probably have as much dead wood now as we had in Roy Evans' day.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:31 pm

more,I would say.We all know their names.At least Evans had the decency to walk away when he saw the writing on the wall.It looks like GH will have to be dragged out screaming.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ynwa » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:39 pm

hyypia gerrard kewell owen [if he stay] are the players u wanna build around
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:49 pm

GH will be given another year if we can crawl into the Champions League next season - That much is clear. The question you have to ask yourself is 'Can we win the league with GH at the helm' - I simply do not believe we can, not in a million years - Moores and Parry need to ask themselves the very same question. We may hover around the 3rd/4th place mark if he stays + we keep the likes of Owen, Gerrard and Kewell but i simply cannot see a GH team winning the league title.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zackboxer » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:02 pm

Spot on. The bottom line is can we win the title with GH in charge? How many can honestly say they think we can?
5 years is a decent period of time for any manager to prove his ability and we're not even close to challenging for the title.
zackboxer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Didier Drogba » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:06 pm

Houllier as a great manager,remember UEFA CUP,League Cup and FA Cup in 2001
Didier Drogba

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion