Rafa starting a legacy - He has the right idea

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:02 pm

Got this article from SSN.
Liverpool

Its nice to see us linked with another highly rated youngster again. Anyways after reading this article it got me thinking about how clever and brilliant Rafa Benitez is. He realises that the youth of a club is vital to be sucessful. If we have brilliant youngsters coming through, it gives the players an identity with the club from a young age and saves the club money.

In todays era of Russian roubles the youth setup looks so much important. Chelsea can just buy anyone they want, we can not compete with there financial wealth, however if we have great players coming through, Chelsea can't start a bidding war against us, there all ready ours.

IMO Rafa realised we could never compete we Chelsea financially so to compete consistently with them, we would have to produce some brilliant players. Rafa has mentioned many times about how important it is to have English players in your side:
   In Jan 2006 he brought in Paul Anderson(17) from Hull. A right winger with bags of potential, very fast and highly rated.
   In the summer of 2005 he bought Jack Hobbs(17) a centre back from Lincoln who many clubs looked at.Highly rated.
   In the summer of 2005, he got Ramon Caliste(20) on a free from Man Utd. He is Welsh but is an U21 international and has been playing well in the reserves.
   In Jan 2005, he persuaded Scott Carson(20) to join us over Chelsea in a £1m deal. He is current U21 keeper and is highly rated.
  Another English player who derserves a mention as a promising youngster is James Smith. Rafa did not buy him as he has been at Liverpool all his career. He is only 18 years of age and is probably the best kept secret in football. He is a centre half and impressed Rafa so much last year, he moved him up to train with the first team. Unfortunately he broke his ankle and is out, but he is highly rated at Melwood.

And now on to the young foreigners:
  In the summer of 2005 he brought in A.Barragan(18) from Seville. He is a highly rated defender both here and in Spain and is expected to break into the first team very soon. Rafa's best young signing.
  Also in the summer of 2005 he brought Miki Roque(17) from Llieda. He is another centre back with bags of potential.(Sabre do you know anything about him - my knowledge of him is limited)
In June 2005 he bought Antwi Godwin(17) from Zaragoza - he is an U21 Ghanian international and is suited to the Premiership.
    Also Xabi Alonso(23) , Sissoko(21) and Agger(20) are all brilliant young players who will probably play for the club for 10+ years. These are all first team players now but there high transfer fees justify this.
   I am not saying all these youngsters will turn into great players, but he has got the right idea, if one turns into an established first teamer, then its worth doing. Many managers express the same view, however none pursue it as vigorously as Rafa and Paco.( Maybe Dario Gradi- but by force, not choice)
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:19 pm

:bump
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:26 pm

a barragan has gone mate

i forget where, some side in spain

we have a clause of buy back though, if he ever improves enough where he becomes :censored: hot property
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:28 pm

LittleHobo wrote:a barragan has gone mate

we have a clause of buy back though, if he ever improves enough where he becomes :censored: hot property

Bumped it because of the "why is it " thread. I wrote it in Feb 2006
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red @ Heart » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:48 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:a barragan has gone mate

Bumped it because of the "why is it " thread. I wrote it in Feb 2006

LMAO Rafa is that a dig at me lol, look i was just asking oh well never mind i dont think you get my point.
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby alessandromagno » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:59 pm

Unsure about the real quality of most of those. Wouldn't mind seeing another Owen, Gerrard or Fowler emerge.
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 5 stars » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:57 am

You forgot Adam Hammill. He is as promising as Paul Anderson imo, he's creative attacking midfielder and can play on left or right wing. And, Barragan went to Deportivo...
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/hammill
5 stars

Postby azriahmad » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:21 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Ramon Caliste released last june?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:12 am

5 stars wrote:You forgot Adam Hammill. He is as promising as Paul Anderson imo, he's creative attacking midfielder and can play on left or right wing. And, Barragan went to Deportivo...

witht he option of buying him back in 2 years, if i remember correctly.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:28 am

Well, we are approaching Feb 2007 in a few months. Any of those youngsters mentioned look like 1st team material yet? Exactly! That's why the "why is it" thread is there.....
alxy

Postby 67-1161385641 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:23 am

azriahmad wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Ramon Caliste released last june?

Yep, he was not good enough.
67-1161385641

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:26 pm

Got our eye on another young, promising Argentian LB according to today's Echo.  He's meant to be in the stands tonight for the PSV game and is about to sign a loan deal for the rest of the season.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:41 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Got this article from SSN.
Liverpool

Its nice to see us linked with another highly rated youngster again. Anyways after reading this article it got me thinking about how clever and brilliant Rafa Benitez is. He realises that the youth of a club is vital to be sucessful. If we have brilliant youngsters coming through, it gives the players an identity with the club from a young age and saves the club money.

In todays era of Russian roubles the youth setup looks so much important. Chelsea can just buy anyone they want, we can not compete with there financial wealth, however if we have great players coming through, Chelsea can't start a bidding war against us, there all ready ours.

IMO Rafa realised we could never compete we Chelsea financially so to compete consistently with them, we would have to produce some brilliant players. Rafa has mentioned many times about how important it is to have English players in your side:
   In Jan 2006 he brought in Paul Anderson(17) from Hull. A right winger with bags of potential, very fast and highly rated.
   In the summer of 2005 he bought Jack Hobbs(17) a centre back from Lincoln who many clubs looked at.Highly rated.
   In the summer of 2005, he got Ramon Caliste(20) on a free from Man Utd. He is Welsh but is an U21 international and has been playing well in the reserves.
   In Jan 2005, he persuaded Scott Carson(20) to join us over Chelsea in a £1m deal. He is current U21 keeper and is highly rated.
  Another English player who derserves a mention as a promising youngster is James Smith. Rafa did not buy him as he has been at Liverpool all his career. He is only 18 years of age and is probably the best kept secret in football. He is a centre half and impressed Rafa so much last year, he moved him up to train with the first team. Unfortunately he broke his ankle and is out, but he is highly rated at Melwood.

And now on to the young foreigners:
  In the summer of 2005 he brought in A.Barragan(18) from Seville. He is a highly rated defender both here and in Spain and is expected to break into the first team very soon. Rafa's best young signing.
  Also in the summer of 2005 he brought Miki Roque(17) from Llieda. He is another centre back with bags of potential.(Sabre do you know anything about him - my knowledge of him is limited)
In June 2005 he bought Antwi Godwin(17) from Zaragoza - he is an U21 Ghanian international and is suited to the Premiership.
    Also Xabi Alonso(23) , Sissoko(21) and Agger(20) are all brilliant young players who will probably play for the club for 10+ years. These are all first team players now but there high transfer fees justify this.
   I am not saying all these youngsters will turn into great players, but he has got the right idea, if one turns into an established first teamer, then its worth doing. Many managers express the same view, however none pursue it as vigorously as Rafa and Paco.( Maybe Dario Gradi- but by force, not choice)

All very good and we should not discourage Rafa from continuining to bring in rated youngsters. But......where are the Ronaldo's (Man Utd's) & Fabregas's at LFC. Started at 17-18 year old guys and now playing regularly in the Premiership and Europe??
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:24 pm

How much did they cost.  We havent really got the funds for older established players let alone youngsters.

BTW anyone heard about this Argentinian fella, him and possibly Barragan, Agger and Paletta could be hell of a back four in a few years time
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:47 pm

taff wrote:How much did they cost.  We havent really got the funds for older established players let alone youngsters.

BTW anyone heard about this Argentinian fella, him and possibly Barragan, Agger and Paletta could be hell of a back four in a few years time

He's supposed to be very good for a 17 year old Taff. Mancs and Chelski were both after him. They even think he might make his debut this season.(League cup maybe) Played for Boca and was one of the stars of the Argentina under 20's team.
account deleted by request

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion